The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3 - split prism focussing screen installed

stenrasmussen

Hi, I am a lurker that finally registered and this is my first posting here.
Anyways, I just like to open my postings here by telling you I got the Canon EB-C, modified it slightly, installed it - and it works really well!
Metering seems to be as before. The screen is very bright btw.

stenrasmussen

Bob, it took me about half an hour to modify it. Piece of self adhesive 240 grit sandpaper stuck to a flat surface. The Canon screen is ca. 0.8mm wider than the D3's. On both of the short sides there is also a "knob". I started by sanding off about 0.4mm on each side. After sanding there is still a little bit left of the knobs which are easily removed with a sharp knife. Finally, the big "tweezer"-tab needs to be sanded off.
Here's a couple of pics of the new viewfinder (yes, I know...still need to clean it!):

Last edited: