The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some more reasons why I love my Mamiya 200/2.8 APO

ZoranC

Not too long ago I posted a thread on number of forums with pictures from Mamiya 200/2.8 APO on Nikon D300 that were illustrating why I love that lens. One of the reasons I purchased that lens was praise it was getting from those that tried it on full frame sensors. I figured it was future proofing the purchase even though at that moment I did not have full frame camera, that it never hurts to have a lens that people say is sharp like a tack corner to corner even at 2.8 on full frame sensor.

Then last Tuesday I became happy new owner of new D700 :)

Naturally, whenever one gets new toy ... err ... tool he/she starts playing with it, experimenting, learning how it behaves and what it is capable of. Therefore it went without saying that one of lens I tried first was my Mamiya 200/2.8 APO.

I took it and D700 for a brief walk to a nearby park last Saturday and below are results (nothing fancy/artistic, just quick proofs of concept, checking sharpness, rendering, bokeh ...).

All were taken at 2.8 (eeek!!!)

Let me summarize my feelings for you: If I loved it on D300 I love it even more on D700.

However, I will let you form your own impression. But please don't do it based on downsized copies I have posted below.

I felt that would not be fair neither to lens nor to you as lots of info is lost, so I have enabled download of originals for gallery they are in. Please download them and closely inspect them at 100% corner to corner. For example, check that bottle out. Check how it renders blue cap and what is underneath it. Notice fingerprint on the neck. Notice layers of the label and structure of glue between them.

Then please tell me how you liked the results from this lens.

Gallery is at http://zart.zenfolio.com/p219144718

Nice! I'm thinking about picking up one of these to use on my A900. I love my Leica 180/2.8, but I've had it for several years now and would like to try something else.

fotografz

Hmmm, I have that lens laying around here somewhere. Left over from when I had a M645 and Leaf DB.

Didn't even think to adapt it to the D3X. That might be an interesting combo. I don't have anything in that focal length for the Nikon since selling the 200/2VR recently.

Which adapter is best?

Thanks,

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No it is a manual focus lens. I had one for my MF system and it is one damn sharp lens. Why I sold it not sure but I may buy one back. I have a 150 and 300 but don't always take the 300 with me and there are times a 200 would be handy. They are not very expensive but the are well built and not really that big