The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax K-x!

Rawfa

I'm telling you, I was expecting the K-X's performance to naturally be bellow the K7, but it looks like Pentax did something VERY right with the K-X.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This looks like an almost perfect street and travel camera. Great high ISO in combination with in-body AS and fast primes makes it very versatile at any time of day or night, and even for handheld shots indoors in museums, churches etc.

Lili

The bigger OVF, AF support of MF lenses, superb Primes, there's a lot to like on this little Pentax.
Missing AF point lights?
Meh.
I generally use center AF and that field is nicely outlined plus there is a AF lock light on the info bar.
Given the size, price and features this is a very tempting little beastie :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This camera seems to be the "Bargain of the Year", and perfect for travel. Still not available here, but I can't wait to get my hands on one.

nostatic

This is beginning to look very interesting. If it really does have a weak/absent AA filter and has typical "Pentax colors", this body with a couple of ltd primes would frankly smoke any of the u4/3 entrants. Not nearly as "cool" as E-P1, GF-1, but easily rival or beat wrt IQ.

This body with 21/3.2, 40/2.8 and 70/2.8. Seriously small kit. I wonder how loud the shutter is...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is beginning to look very interesting. If it really does have a weak/absent AA filter and has typical "Pentax colors", this body with a couple of ltd primes would frankly smoke any of the u4/3 entrants. Not nearly as "cool" as E-P1, GF-1, but easily rival or beat wrt IQ.

This body with 21/3.2, 40/2.8 and 70/2.8. Seriously small kit. I wonder how loud the shutter is...
Just my thoughts, except I might choose the 43/1.9 instead of the 40/2.8 (and the 70 is really 2.4, but never mind :D ). Is there any reason except size to choose the 40 over the 43?

The sensor btw., is apparently the same as in the Sony A500, and supposedly a different one from Nikon D5000/D90/D300s. There are some interesting comparisons between the A500 and a few other cameras here:

http://www.artaphot.ch/dslrs/201-jpg-noise-a500-a700-a900-and-dynax-7d

and here

http://www.artaphot.ch/dslrs/202-jpg-low-light-noise-a500-a700-a900-and-dynax-7d-

nostatic

I'm not sure about the Kx, but I found the FA ltds to not mate particularly well with the K7. They are awesome with the K20d, but for whatever reason I didn't like the output on the K7, especially my beloved 77/1.8. I think the new bodies are optimized for the DA ltds. 40/2.8 is also cheaper than the 43/1.9.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm not sure about the Kx, but I found the FA ltds to not mate particularly well with the K7. They are awesome with the K20d, but for whatever reason I didn't like the output on the K7, especially my beloved 77/1.8. I think the new bodies are optimized for the DA ltds. 40/2.8 is also cheaper than the 43/1.9.
That's interesting. At the current prices, maybe I should buy both a K20D and a Kx then. The combined price is just $400 more than the K7 here (and $300 cheaper than a D300s). For my use, the 77mm is the perfect portrait lens, while I would probably prefer the 70mm for travel.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
High iso performance seems quite nice (as the A500), but seriously on what scale the DR could be 13+? Same with the D3X, 13.65? 1 or 2 steps above MFDB from Aptus / Phase? Hmmm...

Being a Nikon guy and having checked thoroughly the D3X vs. MFDB comparison, something looks wrong in the measurement of the DSLR - though i'd rather see them right :(

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm always skeptical to reviews that are too good, but all in all, this camera seems to have so much going for it that it's impressive even if some of these reviews are a bit over the top. Combine that with a very nice collection of Limited primes and the excellent 50-135 f/2.8, and it's a very nice proposition for my kind of photography.

In many way, the K-x seems to be everything that Nikon and Canon aren't. It's like a French car in a world of Toyotas :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tried a K-x today. That's a sweet, little camera. It's tiny, but the ergonomics are great, and it feels solid as a rock. Very tempting :)

The one I tried was red with a red lens. Very red and very popular, according to the girl behind the counter. Strange contrast between the Lego-like looks and the solid build quality. I think a black one would be more.... I don't know.

nostatic

After reading initial reports on the X1 and trying (and returning) a GF1, I have to admit this is back on my radar as my street cam. I'm going to try and find one to hold and see how it feels in my hand.

m3photo

Had the K10 with the 21 and 70. Only thing I didn't like was the Ka-Chung, sorry, Shutter Sound :D
If the shutter is the same as on the K-7 I'll have one. Anyone seen a shutter sound comparison?