The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax KX pics (iso 12800!)

Rawfa

Here are some iso 12800 from the Pentax KX. This camera is an incredible low light performer. This weekend I'll shoot some outdoors shots.

nostatic

damn. I shouldn't have sold my 43/1.9...imho this blows any u4/3 out of the water wrt DR and high iso.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
damn. I shouldn't have sold my 43/1.9...imho this blows any u4/3 out of the water wrt DR and high iso.
Nostatic,
This camera is unavoidable. I'm afraid you have to buy a new 43mm :LOL:

K-x with 15, 43 and 77 should be an almost ideal travel/low light/portrait combo :p

Portraits at ISO 12,800? Who would have thunk?

nostatic

I almost hit the "buy" button from BH today. I actually would go with the 40/2.8 instead of the 43/1.9. I found that the DA ltd were better on the K7 than the FA ltds, and I'm betting that is the same story with the Kx. So a 15/40/70 would be the setup.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I almost hit the "buy" button from BH today. I actually would go with the 40/2.8 instead of the 43/1.9. I found that the DA ltd were better on the K7 than the FA ltds, and I'm betting that is the same story with the Kx. So a 15/40/70 would be the setup.
The 70/77 is always a dilemma, and the 70 is undoubtedly a better all purpose lens, in addition to being smaller and cheaper. My problem with the 40 is that it's more than a stop slower than the 43, but I do see your point. Another alternative is obviously the 35 macro. Slower too, but having a macro, particularly one that is as compact as this one, can be useful sometimes.

Rawfa

I haven’t had enough time to test the camera, but straight out there’s a couple of things that bother me. The live view is useless (AF is SUPER slow and it really doesn’t show what actually comes out at the end), it takes 4 AA bats (they drain super fast), the iso steps are too apart (it goes from 1600 straight to 3200, and then to 6400). Of course you also have to think if you are really going to use iso 12800. I don’t shoot much low light, so it’s not really a huge advantage. I’m trying to decide weather to get the Pentax KX + a CanonS90 or just get a GF1. I’m looking forward to Saturday to take the Pentax to the streets. Next week I will be testing the GF1.

V

Vivek

I haven’t had enough time to test the camera, but straight out there’s a couple of things that bother me. The live view is useless (AF is SUPER slow and it really doesn’t show what actually comes out at the end), it takes 4 AA bats (they drain super fast),
Thanks for that, Rafa. Only one company (Matsu****a) got that liveview implementation correct, sofar.

Cam was right!! Why is it a problem to type/post Matsu$hita here?:confused:

nostatic

I haven’t had enough time to test the camera, but straight out there’s a couple of things that bother me. The live view is useless (AF is SUPER slow and it really doesn’t show what actually comes out at the end), it takes 4 AA bats (they drain super fast), the iso steps are too apart (it goes from 1600 straight to 3200, and then to 6400). Of course you also have to think if you are really going to use iso 12800. I don’t shoot much low light, so it’s not really a huge advantage. I’m trying to decide weather to get the Pentax KX + a CanonS90 or just get a GF1. I’m looking forward to Saturday to take the Pentax to the streets. Next week I will be testing the GF1.
If you want live view, then you might not want a dSLR. With the Kx you have a real VF though, and you also have phase detection AF which is faster than contrast. Depends on how you shoot - if you want to frame from the display then the Kx or any dSLR will frustrate you except for very slow/methodical work.

I don't like AAs, but Eneloops (sp?) are popular and work well. The iso jumps don't bother me at all so I don't see that as an issue. If 3200 looks good, who cares that you can't get 2500?

You also have SR on the Kx, and none on the GF1. If you're using a zoom with IS on the GF1 then it balances out, but the 20/1.7 has no IS.

There is a lot to like with the Kx. I don't think the GF1 will give as good IQ. Physics is physics.

Lili

Enelopps work superbly in my Fuji S6000 and my Pentax K100D Super.
Is nice to have a common battery type and size.
The low light work looks excellent and compelling.
Frankly if I want live view I will use a compact or my Fuji bridge-camera. On DLSR's of all makes it appears to be very much an improvisation.
The Pentax simplicity in switching to manual focus and the fact they support AF indicators for MF is even more compelling.

Elliot

I just ordered the Pentax Kx kit. I'm interested in how you fared with the Kx over the last few weeks.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The dpreview is up. Quote:

"The final word

The K-x is a very capable little camera indeed. Pentax has managed to squeeze what is, for this class of camera, an impressive feature set into the camera's miniscule, rather inconspicuous, body and the image quality, especially in low light, is the best we have seen so far in the entry-level bracket of the DSLR market. To put some icing on the cake, all of this comes at a currently, compared to the closest rivals, very attractive price point. To us the lack of visible AF points is the camera's only real drawback but if you can live with this omission you can't go wrong with the Pentax K-x."

If I ever needed another reason to buy that camera...

Lili

Jorgen they also said the hi ISO jpeg quality beat every other APS-C as well.
" Its high ISO JPEGs are possibly the best of all current DSLRs with an APS-C size sensor; they certainly beat any of its direct competitors."
Guess where my Christmas Money is going ;)

grappa

If you go into the menu you can get all the ISO levels you want. 22 selections from 100 to 12.800.
Time is needed to judge this camera correctly.

I ordered a K-x kit and it arrived defective, something loose inside the body, photos were blurry and had a black strip down the right side. Can't say I was impressed with the build quality, sent it back for refund not replacement. There are a number of threads regarding problems with the anti-shake system at 1/60 to 1/120 shutter speeds with some cameras, if you get one check it out very carefully.

tm