The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samsung NX might be near

Terry

Well,
they had a prototype more than 10 months ago at PMA. So, seems like a long time since last February.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hmmm... is it kind of ugly? I wonder if there will be a converter for K-mount SDM lenses that supports AF...

Lisa

Hmm. I was about to go look at a Panasonic GH1 or GF1 as an alternative to my much-heavier Nikon DSLR, but maybe I'd better wait a few months and see if the NX looks better for me when it finally comes out. I remember seeing the announcement for it last year and thinking it looked promising. Thanks for the update...

Lisa

O

Oxide Blu

Hmm. I was about to go look at a Panasonic GH1 or GF1 as an alternative to my much-heavier Nikon DSLR, but maybe I'd better wait a few months and see if the NX looks better for me when it finally comes out. ...

Wait a few more months -- Panasonic is about to announce a new 4/3's system, interchangeable lenses, etc.

O

Oxide Blu

Panasonic as basically discontinued development of small sensor cameras. Instead, they are going head-first into developing 4/3's cameras. They see that as the future. (Oly, Fuji, and Kodak are already started down that path.) Panny's first new release will be a 4/3 system with interchangeable lenses. Their development efforts will be migrated into smaller, more compact fixed-lens cameras. For now, any of their new compact cameras will be repackaging existing, small sensor technology. No idea if or how that will impact Leica's D-Lux series.

Panasonic is also developing still cameras and video cameras that have that new cell phone data transfer chip built in. Instead of putting the camera in the cell phone, they are putting the cell phone, or at least the data transfer features of a cell phone, into the camera. You will be able to take pix/video anywhere in the world and download them to anywhere else in the world. Video can be remotely viewed in real-time -- if you have enough money to pay for the phone call. If Panny is doing it I presume all major camera players are doing it.

Fwiw, Panny's next big video announcement will be 3D video capture and display. I have not seen it, yet.

Diane B

I guess I don't understand this---it would seem to me they have gone head first into micro 4/3rds, not 4/3rds. Has Kodak gone the 4/3rd route also? They don't have anything available that I'm aware of--nor Fuji. Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing. I guess I don't get that their first new release will be a 4/3rds with interchangeable lenses--haven't they done this before with the L series?? The micro 4/3rds seems to be booming----for them---so why would they go 'back to the future' so to speak and redo 4/3rds?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Diane, I think he means cameras with 4/3 sensor.

Fuji has been a member of the 4/3 consortium from the outset, and an m4/3 camera has been rumoured from them for some time. Sounds very likely, and may represent another great boost for the project, if the sensor has the usual Fuji qualities.

Diane B

Diane, I think he means cameras with 4/3 sensor.

Fuji has been a member of the 4/3 consortium from the outset, and an m4/3 camera has been rumoured from them for some time. Sounds very likely, and may represent another great boost for the project, if the sensor has the usual Fuji qualities.

Jorgen, that makes sense--I would welcome Fuji and had heard the rumors. The 4/3rds is what confused me as opposed to m4/3rds, but yes, they are 4/3rds sensors--so it all fits, doesn't it.