The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What about FF mirrorless cameras?

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
... I'm guessing that the camera won't be exclusively R. There would be a much bigger market for a mirrorless camera with a short mount register that can take adapters for all sorts of 35mm lenses. If it's a 'smart' adapter that preserves the lens' auto-diaphragm and full-aperture metering functions, and a decent viewfinder, I'd be looking very seriously at it.
I had imagined the most we could hope for was that auto-diaphragm and full-aperture metering functions would be available for ROM version Leica R lenses only. Would it be possible to design an adapter that provides such functionality for cam-based Leica R lenses plus lenses with widely varying mounts from Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc?

doug

I had imagined the most we could hope for was that auto-diaphragm and full-aperture metering functions would be available for ROM version Leica R lenses only. Would it be possible to design an adapter that provides such functionality for cam-based Leica R lenses plus lenses with widely varying mounts from Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc?
I don't see why not. The functional difference between a 3rd-cam lens and a ROM lens is similar to the difference between coded and non-coded M lenses. The auto-diaphragm is completely mechanical and the 3rd cam tells the camera everything it needs to know for full-aperture metering. The ROM tells the camera what lens is attached for software corrections and the like, but there's no reason a smart adapter can't have a lens database built into it, as the M9 does for non-coded lenses.