The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is an Epson RD-1 still a viable option?

cam

i was hoping it would go to you, but haven't heard the final word... i think i might have to wait until i hit california :(

originally, my BF wanted to drive cross-country, but i talked him out of it. my only regret was that i wouldn't get to see Maggie (as that was a must stop if we did the drive) :( :( we will do the drive from northern ca to souther ca, though, and i'm definitely planning on visiting Sean in Carmel.

jonoslack

Congratlations Cam
I hope you're very happy together!

CAM,

Leica
21 f2.8 Asph
28 f2.0 Asph
35 f2.0 version IV
50 f1.4 last pre asph version
50 f2.0 current
90 f2.5

CV
21 f4
28 f3.5
35 f2.5
75 f2.5
Deary me Terry. I didn't know you'd been that naughty!

but I think I've got 11 too:

Lieca
WATE
28 elmarit
35 asph Cron
50 Noctilux
50 Cron
75 Cron
90 elmarit

Zeiss
25 biogon
50 sonnar

CV
28 Ultron

Ho hum, which are your favorites. For me?
leica 35 cron
zeiss 50 sonnar
leica 75 cron

cam

Congratlations Cam
I hope you're very happy together!

Deary me Terry. I didn't know you'd been that naughty!

but I think I've got 11 too:

Lieca
WATE
28 elmarit
35 asph Cron
50 Noctilux
50 Cron
75 Cron
90 elmarit

Zeiss
25 biogon
50 sonnar

CV
28 Ultron

Ho hum, which are your favorites. For me?
leica 35 cron
zeiss 50 sonnar
leica 75 cron
thank you! (and Maggie! and Terry! and Helen!)

may i be so bold to ask why you prefer those you do? i realise its subjective, but i'm interested... why the 50 Zeiss over the 50 cron or Noctilux, for instance?

we'll get together when i get back to Paris, too, Mr. E. i want to see your big one :p

Terry

CAM - I'll work on that.

Jono - but I haven't sold as many as you....seriously I started with CV's and then got GAS and switched over to Leica lenses and have been a little lazy on the selling. My first two lenses were the CV35 and CV75 and I have some wonderful images with them and emotionally can't give them up just yet.

jonoslack

thank you! (and Maggie! and Terry! and Helen!)

may i be so bold to ask why you prefer those you do? i realise its subjective, but i'm interested... why the 50 Zeiss over the 50 cron or Noctilux, for instance?

we'll get together when i get back to Paris, too, Mr. E. i want to see your big one :p
Hi Cam
Well, the noctilux is lovely, but it's big, and people do respond. The Zeiss has the same dreamy feel about it wide open (f1.5), but it's really very small, and doesn't intrude in the viewfinder at all. It's not noticed.

Added to which, the Noctilux is perfectly respectable shut down, but the soft old sonnar turns to a razor blade by f5.6. So it's an oddity, old fashioned until f4, modern from f5.6 up.

helenhill

Helen,
The only thing I can fathom from this statement is that you ended up buying an RD1 ???
Well Terry
I'm not a sensible Gal
I played the WILD CARD

and got the DP1
even though for the longest time I abhorred its sense of color.........
BUT
what inspired me beside the medium sensor in a compact body
was the Great Work here (Cam,Will,Brian,David......)
so I took the PLUNGE
and now my GRD2 has a new companion
and in September the M8
(but yes sometimes the Lust Bug RD1 bites)
See y'all Tomorrow
Best, H

Maggie O

I've got all CV glass:

15 f4.0
21 f4.0
28 f1.9
28 f3.5
35 f1.4
35 f1.7
35 f2.5
50 f2.0

Wow, that's a lot of glass!

jonoslack

I've got all CV glass:

15 f4.0
21 f4.0
28 f1.9
28 f3.5
35 f1.4
35 f1.7
35 f2.5
50 f2.0

Wow, that's a lot of glass!
Hi Maggie - but so sensible and concise!
Helen - enjoy your DP1. I'd be tempted, but I've sworn I won't use ANYTHING which won't go into Aperture - when there is a dng converter for the sigma I might think about it

cam

Mr E., who knew you were such a poet? you've got me madly in love* with the sonnar now... sigh. is yours an older one or the newer one that's been focused to 1.5?

and, Maggie, bless you! you are one of the few people on flickr that actually let me see the picture BIG so i can really study effects of the lenses... then i have to remind myself that you're using the elegant M8, so i have to take that into account...

thus far on my lust list now is the 35 Summilux and, thanks to Jono, the 50 Sonnar. in both cases for me, dream on!

on the practical side, i've been intrigued by the 40/1.4 Nokton that i see no one here has. i've seen some very dreamy pastels possible with this lens, that is very out of the norm... and then there's the single coated version which is supposed to be superb for b/w.

has anyone ever tried a single coated lens? pros/cons, etc?

* this is a question for Mr. E, who i promised i'd not propose to anybody else after he'd found i'd already popped the question to Maggie -- do lenses count?

Maggie O

Maggie, bless you! you are one of the few people on flickr that actually let me see the picture BIG so i can really study effects of the lenses... then i have to remind myself that you're using the elegant M8, so i have to take that into account...
Well, as Sean showed in his test of my Nokton 35/1.4, the lens matters LOTS.

The RD-1s does not have 40mm framelines, whereas it does have 35mm framelines. You might consider the Nokton 35/1.4 instead, as it comes in both SC and MC.

cam

thanks, Maggie. i'm giving myself a headache with all this and i don't even have the camera yet... i'm going to be testing it out with the lens i get with it -- the 21mm (using the built in 28 lines as i'm loathe to put the VF on this (though it *is* part of the package). so you're probably right about the 40mm... LCT is doing tests in the other thread and the Nokton is certainly holding it's own. still, there's something about the Lux that draws me, especially people shots... sigh. this is such a slippery road...

(Helen -- stop laughing!!! i know you're lurking out there!)

Irenaeus

Cam —

"The RD-1s does not have 40mm framelines, whereas it does have 35mm framelines. You might consider the Nokton 35/1.4 instead, as it comes in both SC and MC."

My 40/2 Rokkor fits the outside edges of the RD1's 35mm frame lines perfectly, however, so don't rule a 40 out! (the Rokkor's a lovelly lens, too: no flare when taking a couple directly in front of a frosted glass window!!

Cheers,

Irenaeus

cam

My 40/2 Rokkor fits the outside edges of the RD1's 35mm frame lines perfectly, however, so don't rule a 40 out! (the Rokkor's a lovelly lens, too: no flare when taking a couple directly in front of a frosted glass window!!
Irenaeus,

thank you! i have been reading up and looking at that lens as well. it looks quite sweet! (can you put up an example, btw?) so many decisions :bugeyes: when i initially get the camera it will be with a 21/2.8 M Elmarit pre-ASPH so i'll probably be able to tell if the frame difference drives me mad (though i realise this is more radical)... can i have one of everything?

i'm just dying to get my hands on this now and looks like i'll have to wait until saturday :banghead:

LCT

Don't know if it may help but.... Cam, you liked 28mm lenses when you used film if i remember well, so a 21 sounds a great idea from this viewpoint. But there is another way to consider i feel. A 28 with crop factor remains a cropped 28, not a 42. You see what i mean? The field of view is cropped by the APS sensor but otherwise the lens behaves like a 28. So you could possibly be happy with a 28 again in spite of the cropped FoV.
Anyway, here is my general advise FWIW:
- If you can afford one lens, take a 35 or a 40 (Summicron-C 40/2 pic below, very close to the Rokkor 40 with a slighty less yellowish tint).
- If you can afford 2 lenses, take a 28 and a 50; i do 90% of my Epson pics with that combo.
- If you can afford 3 lenses, take a 21, a 28 and a 50.
Just my two cents...