The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

Brian Mosley

A bit of a Morbid Moody Shot....the Dp1 is bringing it out:banghead::banghead:
Just realized my WB was on 'Overcast' which probably contributed to that 'magenta' Hue ....ooops -Best ,H
Hi Helen, I've been sticking to Sunlight whitebalance for everything... overcast is probably worst option for green corners / magenta centre colour casts.

I've accepted for now that I'll get as far as possible with SPP and then export with ColormatchRGB to finish in LightZone.

The files have a lot of latitude for pushing around in PP - so your shot could have safely been underexposed and the shadows lifted, maybe avoiding the blooming? effect further of the light bulb.

Try some high contrast / bright scenes... what's your workflow at the moment?

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Hi Amin,

lovely shots - the hospital shot looks great full screen, a sharp sense of 3d there and good colours.

Do you carry your DP1 all the time? I'm finding that makes a huge difference to the opportunities (I would have missed the balloon shot and the sunset otherwise)

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

Just realized my WB was on 'Overcast' which probably contributed to that 'magenta' Hue ....ooops -Best ,H
:ROTFL::ROTFL: it does get better! :ROTFL::ROTFL:

you can change the WB in SPP, btw, (i'd love to see this b/w.)

my BF hated it, btw. saw none of its charm whatsoever... i think you have to allow it a little time. and (you'll hate me for saying this) the only way to master it is to put the GRDII away (which has spoiled us beyond words). it will frustrate you to no end, but it's the only way to master this puppy. you'll also miss a lot of shots, but... you have to own it before you make a decision about whether you can live with all its unrntuitivenesses.

Will

I admire your style helen, take a camera everyone says is difficult in low light and torture it by putting it in dim light, behind bars, with bare fluorescent lightbulbs, and then setting a white balance to kick it while it's down! :D

I wasn't sure about your pic at first but it has really grown on me. I'd been thinking I should challenge myself by trying some dark moody images with the DP1 and you have beaten me to it. (I liked your other image as well btw)

Will

I admire your style helen, take a camera everyone says is difficult in low light and torture it by putting it in dim light, behind bars, with bare fluorescent lightbulbs, and then setting a white balance to kick it while it's down! :D

I wasn't sure about your pic at first but it has really grown on me. I'd been thinking I should challenge myself by trying some dark moody images with the DP1 and you have beaten me to it. (I liked your other image as well btw)
oops, that was meant to have a few of these in it :D :eek: :p but it didn't happen for some reason?

Reading it without those it comes across a bit harsh but it was meant to be humorous. I left it too late to edit the original :(

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Helen, the locked door seems to capture your feelings about your new camera perfectly! I look forward to your shots out in the sun!

helenhill

Will; said:
oops, that was meant to have a few of these in it :D :eek: :p but it didn't happen for some reason?

Reading it without those it comes across a bit harsh but it was meant to be humorous. I left it too late to edit the original :(
Actually Will

You had me hysterically Laughing
Far too Generous of you Will
in thinking I'm so heroic:):D:):D

here lies my Difficulties:
I'm struggling with the Manual Focus /which in general I prefer to use
It never seems CRISP enough & yet when I LOOK:bugeyes: at your work & Brian's I'm Floored

and a glimpse into my schizoid MInd / I am either returning it Today
OR
buying a Tobacco Filter
:ROTFL:
hate to Give up but ..........
Grd 's Spoil Ya

Love Ya doll...Thanx
H

Brian Mosley

Hi Helen, I hope you will keep it... there's nothing magic about the results we're getting and we're here to help!

Just take it one step at a time :)

Kind Regards

Brian

A

asabet

Hi Amin,

lovely shots - the hospital shot looks great full screen, a sharp sense of 3d there and good colours.

Do you carry your DP1 all the time? I'm finding that makes a huge difference to the opportunities (I would have missed the balloon shot and the sunset otherwise)

Kind Regards

Brian
Thanks Brian. I do carry the DP1 almost all the time. I'm a prime guy at heart, and I suspect I'll be carrying the E-420 a lot more when the 25 pancake becomes available. At that point, I'll probably carry them about 50/50. Right now, it's mostly the DP1. Taking the camera everywhere certainly increases the chances of getting something good. Really like your sunset image as well. Most of my attempted sunset shots with the DP1 have been ruined by ghosting.

A

asabet

Three from today's trip with the family to the B&O Railroad Museum for "Day Out with Thomas". I was enjoying the ceiling of the roundhouse :).

DavidE

Nice ones, Amin.

The DP1 really excels with that kind of detail. I like with the third one that the cross spokes in the middle are off-center. Amazing detail with the wood panels in the roof (I'm assuming they're wood panels). You can almost count the flaws in each panel.

A

asabet

Thanks David. With that third one, I cranked the X3F Fill Light (which I rarely do), and it transformed the shadows in an unexpected way. I really like your flowers as well. The delicate texture in the petals is so well preserved. How did you manage the selective color in that image?

A

asabet

Thanks Helen! I'm really enjoying this little camera.

For anyone interested, Petteri Sulonen wrote an excellent article on the DP1 here.

DavidE

Amin, it was all trial and error using Lightroom.

I didn't think the colors of the flowers were that interesting visually (and they masked the detail), so I figured I would go B&W. I cropped it and applied various color filters. The image looked OK, but it was difficult to see what was what. I started playing with Lightroom's Hue Shift controls. That's when I hit on the idea of bringing out the green leaves against the colored-drained flowers.

Here's a quick four-step visual:

Lili

Three from today's trip with the family to the B&O Railroad Museum for "Day Out with Thomas". I was enjoying the ceiling of the roundhouse :).

Amin, these simply rock.
If I get a DP-1 may I do half so well!!!

A

asabet

David, thanks for the explanation. I've got to play around a bit more in Lightroom. Maybe buy another Photoshop book or read the ones I have ;).

Lili and Brian, thanks for the encouraging words :). It was a fun day!