The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

helenhill

Helen, VERY nice. Glad to hear (and see) the DP-1 is working so much better!
THANKS DOLL !!
I'm finally Groovin to the Dp1
and am determined to Master it
its really a Lovely Camera....Feels oh so fine in the hands
Just enough weight and spared down menu & options
Can't really compare to the Speed & Stealth of the GRD's
but a GEM in its own Right

Cheers ! H

Lili

Helen,
Your experience makes me wonder if some reviewers got bad copies.
Or if Sigma is instituting changes as they get feedback.....

Brian Mosley

Yes, I want one of those bright, crisp & clear LCD's for my DP1 too! where can I get one?
Just for reference, how does your new DP1's LCD compare with that of the GRD?

That first flower shot is a cracker! Well done, and happy hunting :)

Brian

Will

I hadn't thought about my replacement DP1 having a better LCD so I haven't been looking out for it. I still use my GV-2 on it all the time. I shall now make a point of trying the LCD in sunlight to see if it seems better.

I like the rhododendron picture Helen, lovely rich but true colours.

helenhill

Yes, I want one of those bright, crisp & clear LCD's for my DP1 too! where can I get one?
Just for reference, how does your new DP1's LCD compare with that of the GRD?
Brian
Well the GRD 2 FAR SURPASSES i in terms of LCD and probably on all levels really
BUT there is still something very 'SPECIAL' & UNUSUAL
in the way the DP1 Draws, Captures & Plays with Color

Please don't get me wrong / the LCD on the DP1 is far from Ideal
Yes in bright Sunlight or Low Light its still very hard to see
but compared to my first DP1 this is soooo much better
Even playback looks better than before
and its not blacking out anymore

I suppose I look at the DP1 as an 'Artsy' Camera (hit or miss)
& the Grd's as Phenomenal Tools

So I'm on a new high for the moment:grin::)
Let me Ride the Waves.......
Cheers! H

DavidE

Here's another shot from my Hollywood trip. I used the same muted tones to make it consistent with the others. Those colors seem to work especially well here.

[You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/100 second

MisiekBunnik

May I recommend a close up set for your DP1? I have a Tiffen +4 +2 +1 and this is what it will do: (manual focus , handheld 1/30sec, F4.0, flash)

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

I'm sorry Helen, I didn't intend to bring you down to earth with a bump... I guess I'm still slightly annoyed by the original rose-tinted hype surrounding this flawed gem of a camera. When all the conditions are right, the DP1 gives exceptional image quality - better than any other compact cam.

Have fun, and Kind Regards

Brian

helenhill

No apologies....You silly Man
I've not Fallen to Earth yet

but you're Right about the HYPE
but then when you do it Right w/the DP1....its Pure Magic

The one thing I do not understand is:
With such a larger sensor in comparison to the Ricohs
Why is the magic with the DP1 so far & few ? (wheras w/the Ricoh you can be almost spot on without much Effort)
What does this mean RE: size of Sensor? (and I suppose I shouldn't leave out lens magic)

All the Best :cool: H

Brian Mosley

LOL, I love a challenge too... and I never, ever quit either :D

I'm just about there with the DP1 - I can get great results much of the time now...

Kind Regards

Brian

helenhill

MisiekBunnik; said:
May I recommend a close up set for your DP1? I have a Tiffen +4 +2 +1 and this is what it will do: (manual focus , handheld 1/30sec, F4.0, flash)
MisiekBunnik
VERY COOL !! :clap:
Is there a Tiffen filter that works for the GRD2 ?

Will
Another Great Moody Shot :clap:
You've developed your 'EYE' watching & Critiquing Classic Movies......
speaking of which I watched the1944 Classic 'GASLIGHT'
The beginning of that flick is AWESOME /The Cinemetographer must have been using some pretty wild lenses

Best, H :)

Last edited:

Will

MisiekBunnik that macro is absolutely stunning.

I got a HA-11 and uv filter last week (not having a lens cap for it is unbelievable but never mind, the filter will have to do) and I have a +4 lens on order for it. Having seen your image I can't wait to get it!

Helen are you mixing names up again or am I missing something?

Another image. There was a nice evening light in my garden today.

SPP settings for those interested.
Exposure -0.3
Contrast +2.0
Shadow -0.2
Saturation +0.1
Sharpness 0.0
X3 Fill Light +0.5
White balance 0
Photoshop CS3 nothing on this one.

Last edited:

helenhill

LOL.... LOL ....oh GAWD Yes Will
I meant to say DAVID E re: Moody shot & Classic Films
for the above thread / Sorry Will

I Guess its toooo much Absinthe:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

BEAUTIFUL SHOT - WILL....love 'Natures' textures & elements

Best to All
Helen

Last edited:

Terry

Wow - the macro is stunning. That is probably up in the very top shots I've seen out of the DP1. Very well done.

DavidE

Thanks, Helen. I figured you might be referring to me when you mentioned the classic films. Also, there didn't seem to be another recent moody DP1 photo. There probably is a connection between my photos and the classic movies, though I'm not conscious of the connection. Probably works better if it's instinctual rather than conscious.

Haven't seen the 1944 Gaslight in a while, so I don't remember the beginning. I do remember being impressed with the movie. There's another version (also titled Gaslight) from 1940 that's supposed to be even better. Supposedly MGM tried to destroy the negative of this earlier British version after deciding to do the remake.

Will, nice photo, and that's a beautiful garden. Those SPP settings are similar to what I've been using. I used to apply sharpness in SPP, but have recently left it for Lightroom since I tend to use it anyway for additional processing. I tend to adjust the contrast and fill light, as you did, in SPP while the image is still in RAW format.

MisiekBunnik, that's a terrific shot. Now I don't know whether to go with the Tiffen adapters or wait for Sigma's recently announced close-up lens (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0805/08052301sigmacloseup.asp).

MisiekBunnik

Thank you all for your comments on the macro!
I do not know if the sigma close up will be better than the Tiffen set... We wiil have to wait untill people start comparing it. I do not see any vignetting or softness in the corners of my shots though.

additional info for those who use the adapter and filters: the hama 46mm supersnap is said to fit even inside the lenshood... This is an example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Lens-C...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211784549&sr=1-9