The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

sizifo

May I recommend a close up set for your DP1? I have a Tiffen +4 +2 +1 and this is what it will do: (manual focus , handheld 1/30sec, F4.0, flash)
This is a stunning photo, one of the best. Especially if this was a living beast that could fly off at any minute. Excuse my ignorance, what is Tiffen +4+2+1 ??

Terry

This is a stunning photo, one of the best. Especially if this was a living beast that could fly off at any minute. Excuse my ignorance, what is Tiffen +4+2+1 ??
They are close up lenses and each one has a different magnification. They are an easy way to work on macro shots with cameras where you can't change lenses or where you don't have a dedicated macro lens. They look like filters and can be stacked on top of each other to increase the magnification (so this combo was a +7). If you look through them it is exactly like looking through a magnifying glass.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Toss up between it and the GRDII but I need something small to play with. Just not sure . The DP1 seems to have a color issue from some of the posts here which bothers me a little. I wonder if a new firmware is coming to fix that

Wish I knew someone at Sigma to test one of these for the forum.

DavidE

During my recent trip to California, I had meetings at DreamWorks. We weren't allowed to snap any photos, except during a brief tour of the outer buildings. This was around 3:30 p.m., so the light wasn't optimal (the DP1 often doesn't perform well in bright, high-contrast light).

[You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

ISO 100, f/7.1, 1/160 second

DavidE

Here's another photo of the DreamWorks facilities.

ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/100 second

DavidE

Here's one more DreamWorks photo.

ISO 100, f/8, 1/160 second

DavidE

Here's another one from Hollywood. This one is more experimental. It's a 2 second exposure from my hotel window. The shot was handheld, though I was able to steady the DP1 against the window pane.

ISO 100, f/4, 2 seconds

W

wbrandsma

Just astonishing David! That is an unbelievably beautiful photograph :thumbs:

DavidE

Thanks Helen, Brian, and Wouter.

I was lucky -- not only to have this view from my hotel room -- but also to try it at this particular time of day. The sun had just set, yet there was enough ambient light to illuminate the sky and some of the areas off the street.

I have another technology tradeshow in Las Vegas coming up. Maybe I'll bring a lightweight tripod and attempt similar shots of the Vegas strip from the sidewalk.

H

hermie

Wonderful shot David !

I just discovered the free ShiftN program and I just had to try it on this one, hope you don't mind.

Here's a quick automatic "fix":

BTW, the file you posted has aRGB embedded.

Lili

David, I love that night shot!!!
Incredible color and detail!
Handheld too, you make that little camera sing, that is for sure!

DavidE

hermie, no, I don't mind. It's interesting to see ShiftN in action. It does give the image a very different feel.

I didn't realize I was exporting in aRBG (AdobeRGB) from Lightroom. That's the default setting, apparently. Thanks for catching it. I'll export again with an sRGB color space and overwrite the files on the server.

DavidE

Thanks, Lili.

Pushing the camera against the window (and holding my breath) worked well as a makeshift tripod. I also took several exposures and processed the sharpest one. I was surprised it came out as well as it did, as the sub-par LCD screen on the DP1 isn't a very good guide for judging image quality.

Lili

Thanks, Lili.

Pushing the camera against the window (and holding my breath) worked well as a makeshift tripod. I also took several exposures and processed the sharpest one. I was surprised it came out as well as it did, as the sub-par LCD screen on the DP1 isn't a very good guide for judging image quality.
David, It does work well indeed.
Have you gotten and tried out the optical finder yet?
My flicker set about the Queen Cover Band "Queen for a Day";
http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette_noir/sets/72157604988502717/
was almost entirely shot in 3:2 usingthe CV 28mm finder.
My batteries were low so I shut off the LCD on my GRD and used the finder.
Worked quite well really, all things considered ;)