The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

DavidE

Lili, I haven't tried an optical finder on the DP1.

I did buy the Ricoh GV-2 optical finder for my GRD2, though I rarely use it. I wear glasses for seeing at a distance. Pressing my eye against the optical viewfinder requires me to take off my glasses. It's much easier to leave my glasses on, hold the camera away from me, and use the LCD screen.

I do keep the GV-2 on the GRD2 in case the batteries are low, or sunlight fades the LCD. I've thought about moving it over to the DP1.

Watched the slideshow of the Queen for a Day band. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. The framing makes you feel like you're smack in middle of the action. It's an excellent series.

Lili

David,
Thanks so much!!!
I imagine the DP-1 with the LCD off and the GV-1, using scale focus, would be a seriously stealthy camera!
:)

DavidE

This one was snapped six minutes after the other hotel window photo. Rather than duplicate the color processing from before, I thought I would try it in black and white. I wanted to give it a tabloid "Hollywood Confidential" look.

[You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

ISO 100, f/4, 2 seconds

Lili

David, that is interesting,
Detailed yet gainy, the image has a lot of 'tooth'
Did you add that?

DavidE

Lili, I was twirling the dials, and a byproduct was an increase in grain with the sky. I could have reduced that by bringing down the exposure or brightness, or make it less edgy by reducing the sharpness or sharpness detail, but every time I tried that, I preferred it more this way. It's probably a tad too sharp and grainy. [I made that adjustment to the file on the server.]

I didn't expect this one to come out as good as the other one. Just thought it would interesting to see where else it could go.

Last edited:

Lili

Lili, I was twirling the dials, and a byproduct was an increase in grain with the sky. I could have reduced that by bringing down the exposure or brightness, or make it less edgy by reducing the sharpness or sharpness detail, but every time I tried that, I preferred it more this way. It's probably a tad too sharp and grainy.

I didn't expect this one to come out as good as the other one. Just thought it would interesting to see where else it could go.
David,howeever you got there, I *really* like it.
A LOT :)
Sorry I wasn't clear earlier.

MisiekBunnik

Hi all,

first, those night shots are brilliant and thanks for the nshift tip... Something from my garden for everyone who is having a bad day...

Life is great, just look around:

have a nice weekend!
(originals in signature)

DavidE

I'm a bit late to the party (bogged down with work), but I really like that last flower shot from your garden, Ronald. The red flowers in the background are almost three-dimensional.

DavidE

Here's another one from my recent trip to Boulder, Colorado.

ISO 100, f/9, 1/250 second

helenhill

Lovely David

the Looming Moody clouds set against the Dark Pines and Light toned Boulders
remind me of something Akira Kuwasawa
would like for a Samurai Fighting Scene :)

Best -H

DavidE

Thanks, Helen. If this one suggests a Kurosawa film, it would probably be Hidden Fortress.

I'm going through my files from the Boulder trip, looking for images that might work well in B&W.

ISO 100, f/9, 1/160 second

MisiekBunnik

Thanks David and... I Envy your location! I also want to be that close to the nature... Here in the netherlands everything is so crowded...

from my backyard.. again.. The quality of the DP1 is still such a surprise to me, but i also missed a few shots on auto focus, now I only use manual, I think she wants me to do it manually... lol :)

DavidE

That's a mighty fine shot, Ronald. The colors are especially rich against the black background. The flowers and leaves are sharply focused.

Did you use a close-up lens (or lenses) for this one?

DavidE

Here's another shot from my trip to Boulder, Colorado. With the Rocky Mountains behind us, this is a view of Boulder and the western edge of the Great Plains.

ISO 100, f/10, 1/250 second