The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

D

DP1User

Nice, I've experimented a bit with ISO 50, thinking that I would love it, but I haven't found it all to useful yet, unless you want to increase shutter time for a long exposure shot. I can't see difference between noise in a ISO 100 or 50 shot plus the highlight clipping has killed me a couple times. I know you can pull shadows more but I'm usually more concerned about the highlights.

Where have you find ISO 50 useful?

I don't even find ISO 800 all to bad, here is a crop at 100% at 800 looks pretty dang good to me!

http://www.pbase.com/dp1user/image/99107044

DavidE

I haven't found ISO 50 to be useful either. To my eyes, it doesn't look that different. I figured I would use ISO 50 on this past trip and then compare the results with previous ISO 100 photos. So far, I don't see a significant improvement. I might try shooting the same scene with both settings and eyeball the differences.

That ISO 800 shot looks fine to me. I've been avoiding the setting. I'll give it a try.

I've had mixed results with ISO 400, though this one of the Wynn hotel lobby came out well.

[You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

ISO 400, f/4, 1/30 second

Last edited:
D

DP1User

Ok well I'm not alone. I didn't see how there could less noise since there is virtually none at ISO 100 now. My only thought is to use is like a built in ND filter just to increase shutter times. I might try it on some star trail photos for just that reason.

The ISO 400 photo looks good to me, the key to the higher ISOs is correct exposure.

Brian Mosley

Hi DP1User, you have some really fabulous work there... Well Done!

I used ISO50 this evening, for a series of water falls along a stream... here's one :

15s f/11.0 at iso50

Kind Regards

Brian

Lili

Brian,
Lovely
brings to mind

"Come away O Human Childe, to the Water and the Wilde..."

I do not recall where I read that, but that image echoes this

D

DP1User

Hi DP1User, you have some really fabulous work there... Well Done!

I used ISO50 this evening, for a series of water falls along a stream... here's one :

15s f/11.0 at iso50

Kind Regards

Brian

Beautiful shot!!! That's exactly what I would use ISO50 for, those longer shutter speeds.

DavidE

Here's another shot of the Adventuredome from my Vegas trip last week. I was so busy at the tradeshow, I didn't have much time to wander around and take pictures.

[My server tends to be slow, so you may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

ISO 50, f/4, 1/20 second

DavidE

I should find a new subject. Here's yet another one from the Adventuredome in Las Vegas.

[My server tends to be slow, so you may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

ISO 50, f/4, 1/25 second

C

christopher e.

Hi DP1 users, I have been anxiously viewing all the DP1 images I can find, and while very impressed, I have talked myself into waiting for Photokina/the end of the year (DP2, DP3). I'm not a huge shutterbug, but I enjoy it and I have been waiting for the perfect digital compact for over a year (it has seemed to be a long and frustrating year)...so I will wait a while longer. Thanks for posting your photos..but I had a question. I downloaded the Sigma software and sample images provided by Carl Rytterfalk, and noticed that the setting for sharpening goes down to -2.0. This seems to reduce existing sharpening to zero. Do you know if this is the case (does Sigma add sharpening as a default setting)? If so, do you lower the sharpening to the -2.0 setting when you process your pictures? I personally would want the picture to be the "real, unmodified" image as the default. Thanks for your replies.

C

christopher e.

PS: I did see this mentioned in the Luminous Landscape review. So it seems you can set sharpening in the camera, and then also adjust that in post processing...

C

christopher e.

Also, are most shots posted done handheld? Except for the long exposure shots?

D

DP1User

All of mine are handheld, one of the reasons I bought the DP1 so I don't have to carry anything extra.

DavidE

Helen, thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

christopher, all my shots are handheld -- even the long exposure ones I've tried (maybe 1 out of 10 of those will be rock steady). I have a lightweight Gitzo tripod, but have yet to bring it with me on a trip. Like DP1User, I bought the DP1 so I wouldn't have to lug around a lot of equipment. I shoot only in RAW and do any sharpening with Sigma Photo Pro (slight sharpening) and Adobe Lightroom (a fair amount of sharpening -- probably too much). I will usually export an image from SPP with several different combinations of settings. Then I select the one that seems best suited for additional processing within Lightroom.

Last edited:
S

SimonLarbalestier

Two recent shots using the DPI shot in Thailand. Using Richard Franiec's DPI Grip (CGDP1) really made the camera much more practical to hold in hot sticky climates. I approached Richard back in April asking if he'd be interested in designing a custom grip for the DPI. You can imagine my surprise when one arrived in the post just before my trip back to Thailand!
You can find Richard's grip for sale online at http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/SigmaDP1.html

As 99% of my work is shot with b/w film i am very interested in the Sigma's rendition of b/w images at ISO's of 50, 400 and 800. These were shot using the Ricoh GV2 28mm Viewfinder which works very well on the DPI.

Lili

Simon, lovely work, still going though your Cambodian porfolio
Was it all done with the DP-1?