The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Amin, what a wonderful image. I thought only Zeiss lenses had that 3D effect. What's even more impressive is that you were able to get outside the airplane, take the shot, and get back inside ;). Seriously, though, how did you manage to eliminate the reflections? (Please don't tell me you used a polarizing filter!)

A

asabet

Thanks Jonathon! No polarizing filter; I just placed the camera lens as close to the window as possible and shot wide open to throw the window dirt out of focus.

Lili

Amin, wide open and the image is that sharp?
Very great respect for the Sigma lens designers!!!!

A

asabet

Lili, that's through two layers thick dirty window. The DP1 lens is sharp across the frame at f/4, with just a subtle improvement in the far corners in going from f/4 to f/5.6.

Will

That wing image really stands out Amin. I took a few with my GRD2 recently and whilst I do like them they don't have the impact that your use of the DP1
has produced.

Here is one of my GRD2 images by way of example.

Last edited:

Lili

Andrew and Will great shots all!
Oddly, despite a bad work monitor, and common wisdom, there IS a difference in our images (as wonderful as they are) and Amin's; the Foevon difference seems to show through!

andrewteee

Colette, I agree. I briefly had a DP1 and was amazed at its B&W (and color) performance. However, the camera had too many other faults to keep me from falling in love with it. But I still think about trying it again. The DP2 actually sounds more interesting to me for its lens and hopefully increased performance. I'm also looking forward to more mFT designs. My first love, though, is still for my GRD2.

A

asabet

Great plane window shots all! We've got a nice thread within a thread going here :).

Brian Mosley

Amin, that's a *tremendous* shot through the airplane window with your DP1, fantastic colour too!

I have never managed to take anything approaching that quality regardless of camera. Well Done.

Cheers

Brian

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I will definitely get the DP2 when it's available. I am using a LX3 right now (now Raw processor for it yet: grrrr) and I will take a few window shots on my way to SF and Vancouver (and later, the Caymans). All: some lovely images here! cheers, KL

N

nei1

You and me both Kit,I hope theyve taken as much care over the 40mm as they did with the 28mm.

A

asabet

Hi Brian, thanks for the extremely kind comments!

Yes Lili, I haven't shot JPEG at all with the DP1 since realizing how much better the RAW files hold up. That was RAW, processed in Sigma Photo Pro followed but some quick curves adjustments in PS.

Irenaeus

Minor questions, but ones I'd like to know what you think about:

1. Is the DP1 likely to come down in price within the next 6 months?

2. I had a GRD and found its minimal bulk acceptable for carrying on my belt. Is the larger DP1 too much bigger to be useable that way?

3. Would the DP1 images (especially those in B/W) tend to jibe with those from my Epson RD1 or clash with them?

Thanks,

Irenaeus

Last edited:
A

asabet

Hi Irenaeus,

I think:

1) Yes, I'm guessing it will be in the $500-600 range new at that time.

2) That's a personal call. I find the DP1 acceptable for the belt or even in my jeans pocket. It's noticeably larger than a GRD though.

3) I vote jibe :thumbup:. Honestly, I'd put the DP1 B&W capability up there with the best that 35mm and smaller format digital can offer in the 28mm angle of view equivalent.

Minor questions, but ones I'd like to know what you think about:

1. Is the DP1 likely to come down in price within the next 6 months?

2. I had a GRD and found its minimal bulk acceptable for carrying on my belt. Is the larger DP1 too much bigger to be useable that way?

3. Would the DP1 images (especially those in B/W) tend to jibe with those from my Epson RD1 or clash with them?

Thanks,

Irenaeus