The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

Irenaeus

Thanks Amin,

That's very helpful, especially coming from you — I've been following your photographic offerings and musings since your "favorite digital camera [was] four years old" (I still love and use my own LC1) and they carry a good deal of weight with me.

I do confess to be (happily) surprised that carrying the DP1 in your pocket doesn't present a problem with dirt and lint. Do you bag it, or wrap it in a handkerchief, or are your pockets just a lot cleaner than mine?

It's also been a real blessing to be able to share in the ongoing life of your family (our own three year old grandson lives far too far away!) Many thanks to you and to your wife for letting us in on your treasure.

The question now becomes, how long am I willing to wait before getting that DP1?

"Time value of money; money value of time....

Irenaeus

A

asabet

Thanks for the kind words about the blog and my family photos Irenaeus!

Regarding the DP1, most of the time I keep it in a case on my belt, less often in my pants pocket. I have an LCD protector on it and just make sure there aren't any keys, change, etc in my pocket. I don't wrap it. The cap gets lint on it sometimes, but I've had no problems otherwise.

C

christopher e.

I'm waiting on the DP2, but I don't have a DP1. I've been waiting for the perfect serious compact:cussing:....LOL! Does anyone expect we will see any news before the launch date? Or do we have to wait until Feb/March (or beyond)? I hope I don't regret not buying the DP1.:banghead: Foveon all the way!!!

Thanks,
Christopher

jonoslack

I'm waiting on the DP2, but I don't have a DP1. I've been waiting for the perfect serious compact:cussing:....LOL! Does anyone expect we will see any news before the launch date? Or do we have to wait until Feb/March (or beyond)? I hope I don't regret not buying the DP1.:banghead: Foveon all the way!!!

Thanks,
Christopher
Hi Christopher
It'll be launched at PMA, it'll have interchangeable lenses and it'll be made by Olympus with a 4:3 sensor (it may even have bits of leather on it).

Will

I deliberately pushed the levels on these to get the strong saturated colours.
We are converting the barn to make a community hall.

T

theyanz

Dear friends,

I am new to digital photography (did dabble a little in analog photography many years ago) and have just bought a Sigma DP1 about a month back. I have attached 2 pics here, one of which is a natural look while the other is a more "weird" look - each used a different software. Which do you prefer? Neither's perfect as I had to handhold the camera and as a result the images couldn't align perfectly in either program.

Also, please let me have any comments regarding ANY other aspect of the picture. I am here to learn from all you experts, and I dont mind painful honesty. :) I especially enjoyed the previous posts and all the pics, in fact this thread was instrumental in helping me decide to get the DP1. I noticed there has been no new posts recently, so pls don't let it "die" a natural death!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look and comment! :salute:

simonclivehughes

Welcome and congrats on the DP1, it's a honey of a camera, isn't it?

Personally I like the second one for the added drama in the sky, added to that the darkening of the underside of the roof creates a nice offset tonally to the rest of the building. Well done!

Cheers,

T

theyanz

Thanks Simon, your encouragement is very much appreciated. I've been following your work in this and other threads, as well as in your website. I find your DP1 pictures (especially the b&w ones) really beautiful and stunning. You have a contemplative aspect in your work that I find particularly appealing. I work for a Canadian bank here in Singapore and would love to meet up with you when my work takes me there once a year.

T

theyanz

Here's another one taken with the DP1 in the same area in Malacca (Malaysia), it was an empty temple which I had stolen into to take a quick snap before the security guard hauled me out. Again, any comments about any aspect of the picture (including "enough with the HDR stuff already!") are heartily welcomed! :)

simonclivehughes

This one is a nice subject but I think the sky is just over done. You can see the blacks blocking up, especially on the far right.

Actually, looking again at your second picture in your first post above, I see some artifacts in the grey cloud to the left of the building's peak. You can also see a bit of the same thing in the clouds above the right side of the roof too. Strange!

Keep the pictures coming but maybe don't push quite as far.

Ciao,

T

theyanz

Thanks Simon. You are absolutely right, I did see the strange artifacts in the first picture but missed the black blocking in the second. Thanks for pointing those out.

At the risk of hogging this thread, and making some members here go :wtf: I take the risk and post this photo here. This was taken just opposite the empty temple. I know its a busy composition, but I really like the colours and I didnt push it very much at all; most of the colours you see here are close to what you will actually see on location. You can tell its an HDR image as the flowers were in the open (under overcast natural light) while the middle of the picture is actually the inner sanctuary of the temple (under incandescent light).

Thanks everyone for being patient with me.:D

DavidE

I've had to work long hours recently and haven't had a chance to use my DP1. Fortunately while working the other day, I saw this magnificent sky that kept changing as the wind pushed the clouds across the trees.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/40 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

Here's another one.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/60 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

And here's another one.

helenhill

The Drama of the second shot /like a film noir
& the third version of Color do it for me.... :)
Good to see you Posting again
Cheers ! H

DavidE

Thanks, Helen. I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm working my way through a long procrastinated to-do list.

Here are two more.

DavidE

ISO 100, f/4, 1/40 second

MoJo

Registred Users
GromitsPapa:
Your use of that Nik Bleach Bypass Filter really rocks.....I can see a whole series of cafe interiors like that! It really works well there!