The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

Rawfa

Jesus Christ! I was going over some of the photos on this thread and I'm blown away by the latitude on the DP1...some of these photos are borderline HDR!

DavidE

I've taken Amin's advice and am using Sigma Photo Pro to convert my DP1 images to monochrome, as opposed to desaturating the color in Lightroom or Photoshop. It seems to give a smoother and broader range of tones. The old way looks less three-dimensional (I can post comparisons, if anyone is interested).

I used the SPP monochrome conversion for the three B&W trees-and-clouds images I posted last week, as well as this image from my March trip to Vegas.

ISO 200, f/4, 1/40 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if it doesn't load the first time.]

T

theyanz

Something I took from a recent biz trip to Hong Kong with the DP1;). Happy holidays everyone!

E

ellemand

Hi you all.
Wonderful pictures I've seen here. I don't use my DP1 that much - and it's a shame.
My lovely GRD II has to go to repair first thing in the new year (a little dust on the sensor), which will give me some time to spent with the DP1 :)
Anyway - this thread shall not die, so here af few pictures to show you some of my black and white work with the DP1.
The train-shots are all 800 ISO - the rest 100 ISO.

Thanks for your time - I wish you all a happy new year.
Ellemand.

DavidE

Terrific images, as always, Ellemand. You really know how to make the DP1 communicate.

I especially like the first, third, and last ones. The first shows the elusive 3-D effect, which is one of the best traits of the DP1. It seems to turn up when the lighting is just right, and there's a certain combination of foreground and background objects.

Your ISO 800 train-shots have very little noise. Are you using any special techniques to keep the noise levels low?

E

ellemand

Hi David.

Thanks for your kind comment.
I don't do anything speciel. I convert the RAW-files in Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 in which I keep the contrast low. I don't know if that's the secret, but it seems to work for me.
Then I convert to b/w in CS3 via channelmixer, then a little shadow/highlight (remenber to increase midtones-contrast a little) and finally levels and contrast before resizing and a little smartsharpen. That's all. Hope you can use the informations.

Best
Ellemand.

Last edited:

bbodine9

GRII sensor dust?

Ellemand,

Disturbing to hear about the sensor dust on a sealed camera, how long have you had this camera and was the dust there when it was new?

Thanks!

E

ellemand

:cry:bbodine9.

My GRD II is one year old - and there were no dust, when I got it :cry:
I have to admit, that I always carry it with me - in a beltcase or just in my pocket, so it's maybe my own fault ?
I have to send it for a sensorcleaning.
In the meantime I have to use my GRD I and the DP1 - hope they can do the job :angel:

Best
Ellemand.

Brian Mosley

Hi Ellemand,

lovely B&W shots with your DP1 - I'm in the same position, had my DP1 for almost a year now and hardly used it... I've stopped carrying it around everywhere now (since I dropped it out of a pocket) - and removed the battery a couple of weeks ago, to see whether the battery drain issue was battery or camera related.

You've inspired me to search it out and focus on some B&W shooting - the DP1 is imho a perfect B&W cam - lovely clean images and excellent dynamic range, together with a super sharp lens.

Kind Regards

Brian

E

ellemand

Hi Brian.
Thanks for your kind words.
My DP1 also "eats" batteries faster than the GRD II. I now have four batteries, so I can manege a few hours of taken photos :angel:

As written my GRD II has to go in for a sensorcleaning. I the meantime I'll use the DP1 more - I do a lot of shooting in trains, at stations and a lot of streetphotography.

I'll try it out in A-mode and manuel focus - I've done that before and have maked som good results. I mostly use the GRD II for these kinds of pictures, because it's faster than the DP1. On the other hand, I love the IQ from the DP1 - ISO 400 and 800 without problems - and the b/w from the DP1 - it's the best I've ever seen.

Best
Ellemand.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
From a project I'm doing with an ad agency about funeral homes.....
The DP1 is it....in the raw file, I can read the name on the smokestack way in the background.....and clearly...

Last edited: