The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What are you first looking for when you buy a new camera?

S

Sanna

Hello
I'm a newbe(e) in this forum and I need a new camera.
I'm a hobby photographer and I like pics of my family, my dog (in movement), landscapes: just things that catch my eye.
Now my problem: I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to carry heavy weights around. So the camera should be a "light-model": not too much fat and sugar;) On the other hand I like technical options...:confused:
Are there any recommendings in this forum?
Ah, yes, the bucks...around 1000 to 1500 Sfr.
Sorry for my english...I'm Swiss...:D
Greatings
Susann

Terry

First order of business....Welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of people here that have a lot of experience buying different gear :D so I'm sure you will get some good ideas.

You are asking these questions at an interesting time when there are a lot of announcements of new gear for the upcoming big Photokina show in Germany.

Personally, I like to try out a lot of different gear so I can't say exactly what I am looking for but generally I like features but also like to keep it very simple so I want stuff that is easy to figure out and use in the field. I don't like to fiddle around with buttons. I want the operation to be intuitive. I also want the best image quality available but at the same time I have a lot of shots I like from my iPhone!

In terms of features/image quality/size the newest developments in photography are centered around mirrorless systems. These systems allow for large sensors giving excellent image quality with a small size and most of the cameras are packed with features. The first to the party was micro 4/3 with a cameras from Olympus and Panasonic, then came Samsung and finally Sony entered the fray. I don't want to go into specific models right now as there will probably be some new things coming in the next week in the lead up to the show. For example a new Samsung model was just announced today.

In the SLR category (which starts to get bigger) the new camera that most intrigues me is the new Sony A55. Great image quality/small/new translucent mirror technology. The downside is some lenses can get large.

In the compact smaller sensor category the cameras to look at are Canon G12 (announced today) Panasonic LX5, Canon S95, and a few of the Ricoh models but it sounds like you are trying to step up from these.

Let's see what others say and then I'm sure you will have a lot more questions.

S

Sanna

Hi Terry
thank you for your welcome!
Yes, I try to step up from compact cameras, even if they are light weighted and easy to handle. I had an old analog Zeiss model (tons of heavy glass) which I liked very much, followed by an analog Minolta model. But nowadays it's much easier to photograph with digital models: no "ugly* pics you have to pay for;-)
So maybe it's really worthwhile to wait for the upcoming new cameras!
Greatings
Susann

ShiroKuro

Hi Sanna,
+1 in regards to Terry's comments above ........
You will get lots of opinions ,so might as as well give you mine ; ) The RICOH GRDIII is the best small compact camera ever made ... My other favorite would be the Leica X1.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Get DPI

S

Sanna

Hi ShiroKuro
forget to mention, that the Zeiss and the Minolta are mirror cameras.
Compact dimensions are okay, but with the two compact cameras we own I'm not happy:
no other lenses, poor makro...
I'm thinking about an Olympus E620...too heavy? But the technical possibilities sound good to me...phhh...or is there a new Olympus E... in sight?
Susann

Terry

Hi ShiroKuro
forget to mention, that the Zeiss and the Minolta are mirror cameras.
Compact dimensions are okay, but with the two compact cameras we own I'm not happy:
no other lenses, poor makro...
I'm thinking about an Olympus E620...too heavy? But the technical possibilities sound good to me...phhh...or is there a new Olympus E... in sight?
Susann
Honestly, If I didn't already own Oly 4/3 lenses and camera system, I'm not sure now is the time that I would start to invest in that system. Olympus hasn't made it clear what the future of the system will be and how they will migrate their current dslr users to mirrorless systems. The E620 is more than a year old and the new E5 does improve in many ways over that. However, the consensus is building a bit that the E-5 is coming to market at too high a process for it's current specs.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Susann, Welcome.
I used to use an Oly E3 and it was a fine camera, but I would not recommend investing in the 4/3 system at this point.
I would look at the Sony E55 or the smaller offerings from Canon or Nikon if you want a small DSLR. I really like the Sony NEX5 mirror-less camera myself. It fits in my purse and can go everywhere with me, but still has picture quality way above a point and shoot.

jsf

I have researched quite a few cameras, there are so many factors, the primary one after the perameters that you mentioned are met. Is how does it feel in your hands. For most of us, the feel of a camera is a big deciding factor. Virtually all of the digital cameras out today will fit the requirements of daylight shooting. One thing you might want to look at is if the viewing screen is only an LCD or if it is also an EVF in broad daylight an LCD can be a bit tricky. There is a moderately priced Canon G11 and I think the new G12 is a sibling, which I cannot imagine you would not be pleased with. I would stay away from interchangeable lenses for now, wait for your next camera. Good luck, Joe

S

Sanna

Hi all
thanks for your help!
Yes, the Sony Nex5 catched my eye, too;)
Yesterday I got a flyer offering a kit with the 18-55mm lense for 879 sFr.
Saw, that Terry uses this camera as well and the pics are great!
Susann

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Susann

The first thing I'm looking for is the viewfinder, in my personal opionion the most crucial part of a camera.

A viewfinder with a click-on camera is not a sufficiently serious and convincing solution for me.
My viewfinder has to have a built-in and ever ready camera :D

In other words: there has to be a viewfinder and it needs to be good and it needs to be built-in.
So my advice would be, keep an eye with Photokina 21. - 26. September, maybe we will see one or more small portable cameras with APS-C sized sensors and elektronic viewfinders announced ... ?

NB: Not all agree with me on the necessity of a viewfinder, so maybe it's just me :rolleyes:

Good luck with your decisions, Steen

V

Vivek

I agree with Steen 100%.

Also, for unexplainable reasons, I seem to have bad luck with any camera model that starts with an N and ends with an X. Bought the Samsung NX10 and part traded it for the Sony NeX-5 that I can not use much. It is very very cute though. :D

Wait and see if Sony will come up with a decent EVF. Otherwise, these (NEX') will be on sale quite often, sparingly used, so you may not have to pay the list price.

S

Sanna

Hi Steen and Vivek
I already ordered a Sony Nex5 with a 18-55mm lens :p
After my Sony Cypershot cam I'm used to use no viewfinder. But I know the moment I first shot with the compact cam after years of analog mirror cams: "oh, hey, I don't need the viewfinder anymore!":D
Yes, it depends on the lightning on bright sunny days...but I had to make a decision, because our holidays are in sight...I will see...
Greatings from rainy Switzerland
Susann

V

Vivek

Very well. Post some pictures from your new cam (a bunch of Sony NEX owners just talk how great it is and they do not appear to be using it for photo taking)! :)

S

Sanna

Hi Vivek
for what else can you use a Nex????:confused:
Just to look at it? Just to own one to discuss it in a thread? :cool:
Hope, I will really use it ...
I appreciate that I can put on older lenses from my Minolta with an adapter as well. So at least I don't have the old lenses just to look at:D
Susann

V

Vivek

Susann, Sony made a very big mistake by not including a body cap for the Nex', IMO.

The NEX5 with a (bought separately from PRC) cap is really cute and is just a tad bigger than iphone and the like.:D

Terry

I agree that the lack of body caps was baffling and dumb.

After a long wait, my body caps have arrived from the Sony parts department. From posts over at DPReview, people who have called into Sony (in the US) have been getting caps for free. The Sony US price was $2.65.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Congratulations on the new NEX5, Susann. I know you will like it.
I got my Minolta MD adapter from RJ on ebay (jinfinance) and it works great. He just got in a reverse ring for macro, also.