The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Should I take apart my lens?

M

meilicke

I just took delivery of a used Contax g 90mm, and the apeture marking does not line up with the ring. :mad:

Here are two pictures, the first closed, the second wide open.

This will not affect the image quality, right?

Has anyone taken these types of lenses apart enough to move the apeture mark?

Thanks!

M

meilicke

OK, it looks like G lens bodies rotate when mounting on the camera, so the aperture marks will line up.

"The first thing you'll think when unpacking a newly-purchased lens and looking at the aperture ring is that it's screwed up. Not mounted on a camera, you only seem to be able to set about f/8 and smaller. This is normal: when you mount the lens on a camera it works perfectly, but since half the lens mount rotates as part of the bayonet mount, the part of the lens with the aperture index is rotated when the lens isn't on a camera. The aperture index mark moves, but you'll see that the diaphragm works perfectly, even when not on a camera. It's just the index mark which rotates when removed from a body."
Can anyone confirm?

monza

Yep, they will line up once the lens is properly mounted on the camera or Contax G adapter.

M

meilicke

Great, thank you both. I almost took it apart, but could not find my set of little screw drivers.

:eek: