The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Few R-D1 Snaps

Kphelan

There seems to be renewed interest in this camera and IMO justafiably so. Tho I no longer own mine (moved on to the M8), I dearly loved it while I had it. The R-D1, in all its manual quirkiness, caused me to put down my Canon DSLRs and enjoy photographjy again.

---Kent

helenhill

Wonderful Shots ,Family Outing in Good Cheer ......Kent
The First & Fourth is MY FAV in your First SERIES.....Closed & God Bless with your Reflection
I see your teasing me

Can't Wait to get it / the More I See :bugeyes: the More I Want /hopefully it will be in my hands by this Thurs or Fri.........
Cam phoned me from California yesterday (she'll be back in Paris Wednesday:cry:)
and is in LOVE w/her RD1s
as she says " Its GLORIOUS" (even though she has TOTALLY WHACKED out over GLASS :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:)
Thanx for Posting
Best- H:clap:

Last edited:

cam

Kent,

wonderful!!! (i especially love your black and whites. you've got the glow!)

Helen is correct in both senses -- love love LOVE my R-D1 and beyond whacked out on glass. speaking of which, which lenses did you use for these shots???

the local camera store had a special event weekend where all the top brands were represented. aside from fascinating the Nikon and Oly guys with my Epson, i got to try lots of new Leica glass. oh my!!! the Asphs are simply jaw-dropping!!! still, i do like my older glass to give a more film-like feel. yeah, right! while this is partially true, it's mostly my pocket-book speaking :ROTFL: but my god i am lusting after the 28/2.0! sigh. i am soooooo hooked!

funny thing is, i felt NO compulsion to even pick up the M8 and play with it. that's how in love i am with the Epson... but i may weaken and take a shot or two tomorrow because i can :p

Last edited:

Kphelan

Hi CAM, thanks. I used a variety of non-Leica glass on my R-D1. Tho I own a few M lenses, I used Konica, Voigtlander, and Zeiss lenses. My most used lens - my "walking around" lens, was the little known Konica 21mm-35mm dual focal length lens. I used it with the CV 28/35 "minifinder". I left that finder on the camera all the time; a little bitty thing. With the "dualie" lens, at 21mm I used the external finder's 28mm framelines. At 35mm I used the Epson's 28mm internal framelines. That combo was a match made in heaven. Consequently I didn't use much else.

The water shot of the sailboat and b&w of son Patrick were taken with a ZM 21mm lens. Fabulous lens, and one I am trying to convert for use with the M8. The M8 changes everything. Leica has made it worthwhile to use genuine coded Leica lenses. For me it is not so much for the magenta issue as for the EXIF data. It's nice being able to refer back and know what lens was used. Personally I do not use the UV/IR filters and do not care about the magenta madness one whit.

---Kent

cam

ooh, Kent! new glass to look for!!! :ROTFL:

seriously, thank you. i just missed going to a camera fair in Paris (still in the states), but my BF and i may go on a trek to the german one when i get back later this summer. i love learning about all the older and/or odd lenses to look for. so many simply sing on the Epson.

i'll worry about the compatibility issues you're having when my time comes. in the meanwhile, i'm just rejoicing in using this camera and its character.... and even though i'm a b/w girl, i find the colours wonderful.

btw, if you have some lenses you can't make work on the M8, you know i'm always here ;)

helenhill

its dark & late
mind you I'm Cranky & Tired
finally the battery has charged after 3.5 hrs :eek:
and I'm WIRED
here is my first rd1s pix
Moody & Fun ......:ROTFL:

cam

your Scot!!!

i love it! i love him! and are you not in love, cranky and tired or not???

eek!!! i'm so excited for you!

Terry

its dark & late
mind you I'm Cranky & Tired
finally the battery has charged after 3.5 hrs :eek:
and I'm WIRED
here is my first rd1s pix
Moody & Fun ......:ROTFL:
Wow Helen looks like it took you about 5 minutes to MASTER your new camera. Great use of light and wonderful focusing!!!!!

helenhill

THANK YOU CAM & TERRY

I'm soooo in LUV
My new Jewel is going EVERYWHERE w/me.....
The World is now my focusing Object

Will a LUIGI CASE FIT ?
She is soooo Beautiful
I hate to cover her up (SHES A TART) but she needs to be Sensible

I'm Drunk on Life, Love, Light & Rangefinders!!

BEST -H

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Helen you make me smile with your wonderful enthusiasm. This is what photography should be a love for it. Get out there and have some fun with your new gem.

cam

THANK YOU CAM & TERRY

I'm soooo in LUV
My new Jewel is going EVERYWHERE w/me.....
The World is now my focusing Object

Will a LUIGI CASE FIT ?
She is soooo Beautiful
I hate to cover her up (SHES A TART) but she needs to be Sensible

I'm Drunk on Life, Love, Light & Rangefinders!!

BEST -H
and you thought i was being a little over the top before, huh? now you know... :D

Luigi makes cases and half-cases for the R-D1. there's a big thread on the RF forum. i briefly thought about it, but two things stopped me. first, i really am not wanting to make this any bigger or heavier (not to mention sweatier in the summer). secondly, mine is already a bit of a beater and has little silver dings showing through so i thought i'd just stick with the well-loved grunge look... but if mine was new like yours, i'd probably gussy him up.

btw, mine is a boy. very, very male. Maximus, actually... maybe we can get ours together and make a baby r-d1 for poor deprived Jono?

jonoslack

and you thought i was being a little over the top before, huh? now you know... :D

btw, mine is a boy. very, very male. Maximus, actually... maybe we can get ours together and make a baby r-d1 for poor deprived Jono?
Oh! yes please, that'd be lovely - I think mine was probably a boy as well, but if you could make a nice girl one for me I'm sure we'd be very happy together!

V

Vivek

My Epson R-D1s' days are numbered. A barter is agreed to. Great camera.:cry:

A rare sample of an ultrawide (Tegea 9.8mm f/1.8, 110 deg rectilinear lens on the APS-C sensor) use with the R-D1s.

V

Vivek

An Ultraviolet capture:

An IR capture (Canon 50/0.95, R72 filter):