The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Steve Huff M9 compared to Trash

Vlad

He pits the D3s against the M9 with a ****tastic $100 50/1.8. against a $1700 Summarit that's known to be sharp like a knife?

le sigh.

13ud1

Please look at the upper right broken windows. The M9 clearly shows its a chain, while the other 2 a rope.

Pelao

Unfortunately, Huff's site is totally slanted to everything Leica.
I am not ure that's entirely fair. He likes and uses M4/3 and gave the K5 an excellent review. To the extent that it is slanted, this is in my view in a very open manner - he prefers RF shooting and is delighted with Leica.

I am looking forward to his X100 review.

I have to say though that I find his tone and manner of written expression grating. It's a bit simplistic and sensationalist - like a combination reality / game show.

jsnack

Yes, he often mentions that he likes other cameras. But they are never better than Leica, of course. It's either the "rangefinder handling" or "that something extra" in the Leica files that sways him to favor Leica.

His review example photos are generally horrible.

Still, it's a fun and entertaining site but not to be taken seriously, IMO. And I certainly mean no offense to Mr. Huff.

bowlachili

Silly comparison between a $100 lens and a $1700 lens. Of course the vastly more expensive Leica will outperform the made-for-a-price-point Nikon.

One could easily turn the "comparison" on its head with vastly different results, but it would look bad for the M9 (and for Mr. Huff)--turn up the ISO to ISO 6400 and then compare lenses and output. The Nikon will still perform, but I have a hunch that the $7000 M9 turns into a noise machine and the lens will look like crap.

Steve Huff lost all credibility a while back with his Leica slant/bias--he's about the same level as that other internet-loudmouth-know-it-all. From his Feb. 22, 2011 post about the X1--

"I guess I will wait for the X100 before I decide but something tells me it may not beat the X1 in the IQ department. " Pray tell, Mr. Huff, what tells you....