The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In a Rudimentary Sense: DSLR versus Rangefinder :Why One or the Other

A

asabet

Hi Jono, I haven't tried an E3. Hopefully Olympus will see fit to get that E3 viewfinder in a future E-4xx series camera. That would be a step in the right direction for my needs!

Regards,
Amin

jonoslack

Hi Jono, I haven't tried an E3. Hopefully Olympus will see fit to get that E3 viewfinder in a future E-4xx series camera. That would be a step in the right direction for my needs!

Regards,
Amin
Hi Amin
I quite agree - it seems that NO camera manufacturer will accept that there are people who will pay decent money for small - it's clearly possible to make a high quality small dSLR - just nobody does it.

A metal bodied 4/3 camera with the software and viewfinder of an E3 would be a real winner for me . . . . . let's hope it isn't too long a wait!

Maggie O

Maggie, it's an older (late sixties, early seventies) chrome Summilux 50. different than the pre-asph version most of the people seem to have here, but i much prefer its character. whilst theirs focus closer, i think mine has much more glow and is still surprisingly sharp wide open. the bokeh is beautiful as well... there's just something magical about it and it was love from the first snap. i'm keeping my eye out for other lenses from this era now. i've been spoiled :p
Hummmmmm...

May I ask how much it cost? I might have to look for one.

cam

Cindy -- show off!!! really lovely, though, in a showy-offy sort of way. (just joshing. i'm jealous as i couldn't do a pretty picture to save my life. :ROTFL: )

Maggie, i got mine for around $900 (plus shade), but i've seen the prices vary anywhere between $600 and $!600 on ebay. the 50 Lux is most definitely one i prefer the pre-asph version of. i'm madly in love with MY version because it glows like nobody's business (even stopped down) and gives a flavour to the images that can't be replicated easily in PP. Cindy's version (and the one Jack has -- as well as many others here) is the latest version of the pre-asph and probably, technically, the best. it has a built in shade, i believe, and the draw is very delicate and beautiful. mine is a little more other-worldly but hardier. difficult to explain, but it's there.

regardless, the character of any of the pre-asph 50 Luxes is very underated IMO. there is something very special about it but it doesn't pound you over the head. if i was using a film camera, i think i'd be loathe to use anything else. even with the 1.5 of the Epson, it is still by far my favourite lens (and you know i'm a wide angle girl).

cam

chopsticks

Cindy:
this was shot with the M8......OF COURSE :rolleyes::)
rapping you on the knuckles, Helen!

yes, it was the M8. more importantly, it was Cindy! she has gorgeous shots of flowers on other cameras, other lenses as well. she could probably do one on a cell phone...

it's NOT the camera. it's NOT the lens. it's THE PERSON pressing the shutter!

you've got two pretty f***ing fantastic cameras right now, USE THEM!

i know i'm never going to be able to get pretty flower images no matter what camera or lenses i may have at my disposal. frankly, i don't think they're your forte either.

i know i've waxed poetic about my Lux -- and, yeah, it helps make less than spectacular pictures a little bit more special -- but still. i'm content. will i get every last detail the M8 can give me? no! but i get what i need. the essence of an image.

now go put the Rolling Stones on your iPod and start shooting!

helenhill

Re: chopsticks

rapping you on the knuckles, Helen!

yes, it was the M8. more importantly, it was Cindy! she has gorgeous shots of flowers on other cameras, other lenses as well. she could probably do one on a cell phone...

it's NOT the camera. it's NOT the lens. it's THE PERSON pressing the shutter!

you've got two pretty f***ing fantastic cameras right now, USE THEM!

i know i'm never going to be able to get pretty flower images no matter what camera or lenses i may have at my disposal. frankly, i don't think they're your forte either.

i know i've waxed poetic about my Lux -- and, yeah, it helps make less than spectacular pictures a little bit more special -- but still. i'm content. will i get every last detail the M8 can give me? no! but i get what i need. the essence of an image.

now go put the Rolling Stones on your iPod and start shooting!
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
CAM YOU WICKED PERSON YOU (my knuckles FELT that)
Busted !! and peeing in my pants from your RANT
Anything CINDY does is FAB.....
and as for Flowers YES your right not my Forte but I've been working in Greenwich Conn & its LOVELY but BORING......
I need Street Confrontations, Demonstrations ...... to make me come ALIVE
Does anyone want to send me to where theres some ACTION to get my ADRENALINE FULL & PUMPING...cocking & clicking with the rd1
(the E1 is Eric's / I Borrow :argue:)

excuses aside :cry:
I will Try with the Rolling Stones playing in the Background & Some Roxy Music-Bryan Ferry-KateBush-Tom Waits TOO

BEAUTIFUL Shot by the way MISS SMARTY PANTS Cam
Old World B&W Grace & Charm with a Modern Day Edge
and just GOT IT ....YOU meant the GRD2 (NOT the Oly)

xo -H

Last edited:

cam

yes, the Ricoh... as for the Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want was what was playing through my head as i ranted. and you know i was ranting a wee bit to myself as well ;)

sorry about your pants, though. you can send me the dry-cleaning bill.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm up here in small town Wisconsin, and there are no confrontations going on. I have nothing to shoot except pretty flowers. In fact, I went out in the rain this morning looking for subjects that were not pretty.:ROTFL: The pickings are slim.
The R-D1 is a very capable camera and heaps of fun to use. I'm looking for lots of interesting, gritty photos from you Epson girls:clap:.

Cam, wonderful shot. Keep them coming.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Hi Amin
I quite agree - it seems that NO camera manufacturer will accept that there are people who will pay decent money for small - it's clearly possible to make a high quality small dSLR - just nobody does it.

A metal bodied 4/3 camera with the software and viewfinder of an E3 would be a real winner for me . . . . . let's hope it isn't too long a wait!
Jono,

My dream small high quality dSLR would be modern version of the Olympus Pen and the lenses to match it. A half frame sensor would be just fine.