The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zuiko 14-35mm F2.0 SWD

Hank Graber

Has anyone used this lens? If yes how does it compare to the 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 SWD ergonomically, IQ and bokeh wise?

I'm finally getting round to adding a 35mm DSLR. I may wait to see what the new Canon 5D replacement looks like but right now it's between the Sony A700 with the F2.8 Zeiss zoom and the E3. The Canon 1 series and Nikon D3 are just to big for me to lug around. I had a 1Ds and while it was a great camera I hated the size.

Looking for a fast zoom, IS, fast AF and not to big a size camera. Weatherproofing and live view are not a big deal for me but the fact that the E3 has it doesn't hurt and without the grip it's a manageable size.

jonoslack

Has anyone used this lens? If yes how does it compare to the 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 SWD ergonomically, IQ and bokeh wise?

I'm finally getting round to adding a 35mm DSLR. I may wait to see what the new Canon 5D replacement looks like but right now it's between the Sony A700 with the F2.8 Zeiss zoom and the E3. The Canon 1 series and Nikon D3 are just to big for me to lug around. I had a 1Ds and while it was a great camera I hated the size.

Looking for a fast zoom, IS, fast AF and not to big a size camera. Weatherproofing and live view are not a big deal for me but the fact that the E3 has it doesn't hurt and without the grip it's a manageable size.
Hi Hank
I have the D3, and also an E3, with a slew of lenses for each, it's definitely horses for courses.
What I can say, is that the Zuiko 12-60 is one of my all time favorite lenses, it's sharp from corner to corner, there is very little distortion and it's simply wonderful to use.
The weatherproofing is, of course, also dust proofing, worth having, and you might find the live view more useful than you thought (certainly if you ever use a tripod).

I haven't used the 14-35, I'm sure it'll be absolutely steller (like the other Olympus top pro lenses), but it's MUCH bigger and MUUUUCH more expensive than the 12-60; I think you would have to have special need for it to prefer it.

Brian Mosley

Hi Hank,

we had the 14-35 f2, briefly for our Leopard Sanctuary event in the Safari Group... it was sublime. The 12-60mm SWD is a superbly sharp and flexible lens - when I say that the 14-35mm f2 is worth the additional size and cost, you'll get an idea of just how amazing this lens is.

Here are a couple of shots I took before it had to go back :
E-420 + 14-35 f2
1/125s f/2.0 at 35.0mm iso400

1/200s f/5.6 at 35.0mm iso100

This lens is definitely on my 'must have' list for 4/3rds.

Here's a comparison shot for size :
E-400 + 12-60 vs E-420 + 14-35

It's really not that much bigger than the 12-60 imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

It's really not that much bigger than the 12-60 imho.

Kind Regards

Brian
Hi Brian - half as much again I'd say (12-60 = 575gm 14-35 900). My problem with it is that it doesn't go wide enough - I like to have a lens which will do medium wide to medium - 24-100 is really good, 24-70 is fine, but starting at 28 is an issue for me (and means lots of lens changes).

I don't doubt the quality (I've only played with one) but I'd have said that you could certainly have taken any of those (excellent) shots with the 12-60 too.

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

I know what you mean... it seems totally illogical (I wish it was wider too!) - but I'll be interested in reading your thoughts after you've played with this lens for a while ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

J

Jim Knight

I owned the Olympus 12-60mm until I tested and purchased the 14-35mm f/2.
Warning do not try the 14-35mm unless you are ready to purchase the lens or you will many sleepless nights.
The optic is spectacular- it now lives on my E-3. I also just purchased the 90-250mm. I have never seen a telephoto zoom with image quality so beautiful.
The 90-250mm Oly is a work of art and worth every penny.

Brian Mosley

Well, I'm hoping that we'll have lots of example shot this coming weekend - as we will have the 14-35mm f2 for our latest Safari Group outing here :

Saturday 26th July - 10am

The CLA Game Fair - the World's original, largest and most prestigious countryside exhibition will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in style this year at Blenheim Palace. With every imaginable country sport and rural activity comprehensively represented, this very special annual event appeals equally to country sports enthusiasts, countryside lovers and visitors of all ages.
http://www.gamefair.co.uk/

Here's the meeting point, if any Olympus shooters in the UK would like to be a part of our team covering the day - free press passes, free access to all areas, free tickets for family and partners.
Safari Group Events Map - click on the pin

Kind Regards

Brian

Joan

Brian, really looking forward to seeing the shots from this event, sounds FAB! The 14-35 is way too big for me, but I sure enjoy viewing the results.

Martin S

I am seriously thinking about the 14-35 mm. But wow the cost!!!!

Here in the U.S. it is about $1932. Is it worth it?? I do a lot of hand held low light stuff, but still???

It is only 1 stop slower than the 12-60 ( at the wide end). How do they compare??

So my question to you is "Is it worth it"??

Please send me your thoughts, and images, and recommendations.

I will be in Berlin and I wonder if this lens will be worth it for interior shots (concert halls, buildings etc).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Martin

Brian Mosley

Brian, really looking forward to seeing the shots from this event, sounds FAB! The 14-35 is way too big for me, but I sure enjoy viewing the results.
Hi Joan, I'm sorry - I forgot you asked about the report - it's been published (downloaded 259 times so far - with excellent feedback).

I don't know whether you've already subscribed (in which case you'll have seen the report) but you can do so here :
Register to download this and all Olympus Safari Group Reports

There's also a report on Wedding Photography, where I assisted Rich Simpson last weekend... some discussion and examples from the ZD14-35mm f2 SWD in there, with more to come from Rich soon.

Kind Regards

Brian