The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focus Tracking - a different approach

jonoslack

Hi There
I'm just stopping resting a bit to report this.

Well - We all know that there are issues with the focusing.
I thought I'd just try something different, so, I set the camera on the auto (green) focus mode (on the focus select switch). Then as it was a bit of a dreek day I set the mode to TAV (shutter priority), put auto ISO on to Fast, then started spinning around trying to keep up with Caspar and a Terrier.

Here are some results:

This one is a bit different - similar setup (but in P mode), I was tracking the Sandling, and the Gull got in the way:

The hit rate was really pretty high - not suggesting it's any competitor for a D3s or anything, just that having accepted that I'm keeping the camera, I'm now working on how to make things work (rather than making them not work).

scho

Great shots Jono. You really froze the romping dog action nicely. That little terrier has big teeth.:)

jonoslack

Great shots Jono. You really froze the romping dog action nicely. That little terrier has big teeth.:)
HI Carl - truth is the camera froze it - really all auto. AS for the terrier - I don't think he was terribly amused - but he really couldn't catch the sheepdog!

bensonga

Great shots Jono! Looks like your dog and the terrier were having a romping good time of it. I think that's a wheaten colored Cairn Terrier.....they are feisty little dogs, for sure! :thumbs:

Here's my Bonnie.....poised for action.

Gary