The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Godfrey

Lovely work indeed, both Carl and Keith!
I've been too busy to be out shooting the past few days. Darn it!

G

scho

Thank you Keith and Godfrey. We are in a rainy period now with a possible hurricane coming through on Sunday so my shooting will also be limited.:(

scho

I managed to get out for a walk between showers today and took this shot of one of the old Wharton brothers studio buildings on Cayuga Lake. This was "Hollywood East" from 1914 -1920 and the site where most of the early silent films were made. Scheduled for restoration and right now the only residents are pigeons.

One more from the lakeshore walk with the GXR, Driftwood & Geese:

Last edited:

Godfrey

More very nice work, Carl. Thanks for posting them!

It's very nice to see such good work coming out of the GXR community. This is one of the better kept 'secret' cameras of the past couple of years, it seems.

scho

More very nice work, Carl. Thanks for posting them!

It's very nice to see such good work coming out of the GXR community. This is one of the better kept 'secret' cameras of the past couple of years, it seems.
Thank you Godfrey. It will be interesting to see how the GXR compares to the new Sony Übercamera nex7 with M mount MF lenses.

Godfrey

Thank you Godfrey. It will be interesting to see how the GXR compares to the new Sony Übercamera nex7 with M mount MF lenses.
It will, I agree. However, the GXR A12 Camera Mount has been designed specifically for Leica M bayonet lenses where the NEX 7 is best optimized for its own and Sony Alpha SLR lenses. There are a couple of things in the NEX 7 that advance the body over the GXR body, but I am not sure about that 24 Mpixel sensor and how well the shorter RF focal lengths will image on it. That's a lot of pixels to squeeze into APS-C format.

The sample shots made with the Ricoh camera unit and ultra-wide lenses like the CV 12, 15, 21, etc look very good. Of course, it remains to be seen exactly what it does when the camera unit is in my hands. :)

scho

Stranglehold. A tree hangs on atop a very narrow and steep sided ridge. GXR + A12/50, ISO 3200.

markmont

Sold my DLux 5 to order this cam + 50mm and viewfinder. Also pre-ordered the M-mount. More than excited. Very curious to see the video quality on an M lens.

Godfrey

Sold my DLux 5 to order this cam + 50mm and viewfinder. Also pre-ordered the M-mount. More than excited. Very curious to see the video quality on an M lens.
I'm waiting to see that very thing myself! Video capture with the A12 50 and 28 is fine for casual shooting, but without focus and aperture control it's pretty limited.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Carl - you are the master of sharpness :thumbs: The ISO 3200 looks very good, doesn't it?

My A12 28mm arrived today. Tried it on the hostas in afternoon sun

ISO 200, f7.1, 1.270s

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I've been playing with my Nex C3 today, and it's a super camera. I'm alternating use with the GXR.
I was thinking about this conundrum with the concept of the Ricoh "Lensor". If Ricoh introduces an improved sensor, to get it, you need to buy a lens that you may already have (lets forget about the m-mount concept for the sake of argument)
If you are a Nex 5 owner with your 14Mp and you lust after the new 16Mp piece in the latest Nex batch from Sony, you will have to buy a C3 or a 5n. But, you will have to take a kit lens with it, as I don't think you will be able right now to buy the body only.

Looks like the same difference to me - this is the stuff that keeps E-Bay ticking!

Keith

scho

Carl - you are the master of sharpness :thumbs: The ISO 3200 looks very good, doesn't it?

My A12 28mm arrived today. Tried it on the hostas in afternoon sun

ISO 200, f7.1, 1.270s

Keith
Thank you Keith and yes, 3200 is very impressive with the GXR. Your new A12/28 is looking very nice and sharp as well.
I've been playing with my Nex C3 today, and it's a super camera. I'm alternating use with the GXR.
I was thinking about this conundrum with the concept of the Ricoh "Lensor". If Ricoh introduces an improved sensor, to get it, you need to buy a lens that you may already have (lets forget about the m-mount concept for the sake of argument)
If you are a Nex 5 owner with your 14Mp and you lust after the new 16Mp piece in the latest Nex batch from Sony, you will have to buy a C3 or a 5n. But, you will have to take a kit lens with it, as I don't think you will be able right now to buy the body only.

Looks like the same difference to me - this is the stuff that keeps E-Bay ticking!

Keith
Amen to that! I already have a closet full of gear ready to put up for sale. Hopefully the GXR will "stick" for awhile. The Nex 7 is tempting, but I have not been impressed with image quality coming off that 24 mp sensor.

Godfrey

Thank you Keith and yes, 3200 is very impressive with the GXR. Your new A12/28 is looking very nice and sharp as well.

Amen to that! I already have a closet full of gear ready to put up for sale. Hopefully the GXR will "stick" for awhile. The Nex 7 is tempting, but I have not been impressed with image quality coming off that 24 mp sensor.
As I said in another thread, I'll be curious to see the NEX 7 when it arrives. But I suspect I'm sticking with the GXR + A12 Camera Mount until either I buy the M9 or Leica's upcoming LIVE camera ships. 12 Mpixel really is enough for 99% of everything I do, and the GXR is the best performing camera I've found in this size class overall.

scho

Really nice images Uwe. Have you seen any edge/corner smearing with shorter focal lengths and have you made any custom in-camera lens adjustments for distortion, etc.? All of your images look very clean and sharp across the frame.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Have you seen any edge/corner smearing with shorter focal lengths and have you made any custom in-camera lens adjustments for distortion, etc.?

Don't think so.