The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

ustein

Contributing Editor
>can't wait for the M module from Ricoh.

Me neither.

Questions:

- what sensor size?
- Dust removal?

The rest should be fine because we know the body.

Godfrey

Thanks for the compliment, Keith!

can't wait for the M module from Ricoh.
Me neither.
Questions:
- what sensor size?
- Dust removal?
The rest should be fine because we know the body.
The M-lens camera module will open up the system to a much greater range of lens options. Of course, it's going to be expensive and then there are the lenses too. I'm trying to keep the GXR kit minimalistic ... !

My expectation is that it will use the A12 sensor, wouldn't really make sense to go with anything smaller. A larger sensor doesn't seem possible without a much higher price (folks at popflash don't have a price yet but are estimating $800-1200 at present) but an 18x27 (1.3x crop) sensor might be doable. An Olympus/Panasonic ultrasonic sensor cleaning unit would be great.

We shall see when it arrives.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>but an 18x27 (1.3x crop) sensor might be doable.

That is what I would hope for. A 1.5x multiplier would no be so great.

>An Olympus/Panasonic ultrasonic sensor cleaning unit would be great.

I think it is essential.

Godfrey

but an 18x27 (1.3x crop) sensor might be doable.
I don't find anything wrong with 1.5x crop. A compact, fast 40-50 mm lens would fall into the 60-75mm EFL range at a reasonable price, which is exactly what I want beyond the A12 28 and 50 field of view range.

I'm not looking for this camera to replace my SLR kit ... I'm too happy with that. :)

Godfrey

>but an 18x27 (1.3x crop) sensor might be doable.

>An Olympus/Panasonic ultrasonic sensor cleaning unit would be great.

I think it is essential.
Found this announcement:

Ricoh announces development of expansion unit for the
GXR interchangeable unit camera system

Tokyo, Japan, February 1, 2011—Ricoh Co., Ltd. (president and CEO: Shiro Kondo) today announced the development of expansion unit for the GXR interchangeable unit camera system, which went on sale on December 18, 2009.

The GXR is a revolutionary new interchangeable unit camera system in which lenses can be changed by mounting camera units that integrate lens, image sensor, and image processing engine into a single unit. In addition, fully utilizing its unique capabilities, the GXR line will expand to include a variety of devices through the addition of interchangeable units other than camera units.

The GXR line now includes four camera units, but the newly developed unit being announced here is an expansion unit.

Development model name: GXR Lens Mount Unit

With this lens mount unit, photographers can mount lenses such as Leica M lenses and use them for shooting with the GXR.
The lens mount unit is being designed to make the best use of the optical characteristics of the lenses mounted. It will have as its image sensor a 23.6 mm × 15.7 mm (APS-C size; total pixels: approx. 12.90 million) CMOS sensor, and it will also feature a newly developed focal plane shutter.
Release is planned for the autumn of 2011.
There are plans to display a design mock-up of the GXR lens mount unit at the CP+ CAMERA & PHOTO IMAGING SHOW to be held from February 9 (Wed.) to 12 (Sat.) at Pacifico Yokohama.

ustein

Contributing Editor
If the sensor is APS-C then I don't see why it should be pricy.

- No lens
- Shutter
- Dust removal unit

AF for S10 module has some issues in low contrast situations.

Last edited:

Godfrey

If the sensor is APS-C then I don't see why it should be pricy.

- No lens
- Shutter
- Dust removal unit
Probably a matter of expected sales and cost of development for the focal plane shutter, etc. Cost of an APS-C sensor (and all the supporting image processor subsystem) is still non-trivial too.

But I'm not the one designing and pricing it. :)

Terry

Uwe - the yellow field and boxes are my two favorites of your latest. You certainly end up with a lot of good photos per day/month/year!

ustein

Contributing Editor
Actually the whole GXR thing started with using the X100. The X100 has likely a bit better IQ (not much though over the 28mm module).

But:

- Handling is more fun with the GXR (e.g. checking exposure)
- 35mm only is limiting for me (28mm + 50mm is a lot more flexible)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>the yellow field and boxes are my two favorites of your latest.

The boxes shot worked because I could stick the tiny lens of the S10 module through the fence :).

Also the yellow field needed the S10 72mm setting to work. But AF was funky.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks Terry and Godfrey for the kind comments on "Sugar Beach" The umbrellas are made of steel so they can withstand three feet of snow in the winter.

Lovely shots Uwe - I like the avenue of trees.

This on is shot in DR mode (high and low exposure blended in camera) using the 28-300mm equiv small sensor P10

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I know, not to everyone's taste, but this was originally done for the bokeh thread, where "out of focus" is goooood. Shows the narrow depth of field of the A12 50mm module at f2.8 (1/100s,iso400)

Keith

Godfrey

A couple of Spinners ...

Ricoh GXR + A12 28mm f/2.5
ISO 200 @ f/4.5 @ 1/140 second

Ricoh GXR + A12 28mm f/2.5
ISO 200 @ f/3.5 @ 1/90 second

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated!

bbodine9

Very nice Uwe, as always your photos are outstanding! I hope you can give us a detailed report on the camera at your site in the near future.