The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Godfrey

Communicating #XX .. Experimental

Ricoh GXR + A12 50mm f/2.5
ISO 1000 @ f/3.2 @ 1/50 second
Processed in Snapseed on iPad 2

This one is an experiment this morning shooting with the GXR and doing all processing, etc, on the iPad while at the cafe. A little different from my usual workflow...

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Godfrey,

nice. Snapseed is very nice but I think the overall workflow with the iPad sucks (not Snapseed's fault).

Godfrey

Thanks.

I agree on that.. It's really not the right machine for full on image processing work. It's fine for the occasional "get a couple done right now" type of situation.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>It's really not the right machine for full on image processing work.

I think the machine can do better than the supported data workflow. Getting images from and to the iPad is convoluted.

Godfrey

I think the machine can do better than the supported data workflow. Getting images from and to the iPad is convoluted.
Oh, it has enough power: I agree.

Getting images into and out of the iPad isn't too difficult. The Camera Connection Kit's SDHC card reader had no problem reading the Ricoh GXR files instantly. Connect up to a desktop computer and suck the contents out into Lightroom takes just a minute. Upload finished work direct to Flickr or a website seems pretty easy.

But it's not the kind of "move en masse" stuff that I can do with a desktop OS's file system; it's simply not designed for that. It could be, easily, if that's where things go in the future.

Terry

But it's not the kind of "move en masse" stuff that I can do with a desktop OS's file system; it's simply not designed for that. It could be, easily, if that's where things go in the future.
Well what is going to be most interesting is to see how iCloud synchs photos if the photos on your iPad are RAWs or RAW + jpeg what will get moved to the cloud and then your home computer? Also, the way I read your stuff is out there for 30 days and it keeps the last 1000. Now the question is if you have more than 1000 in 30 days (like you are on a trip) what happens if you haven't been at your desktop before you hit the magic 1000 will it temporarily go higher? Can you make sure your home computer is connected in some way to accept the synch? A lot of questions to be answered in the next few months. But one thing is for a robust automatic way to get images from the iPad to the desktop makes one rethink how much redundant back up you need on a trip.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The problem with the iPad is that it does not really have any external mass storage (don't want even to talk about the backup).

Terry,

with iCloud there are many. many questions:

- Does sync work without any flaws (never(!) **** up)
- What about 100GB raw files (to use a lower number :) )

Godfrey

I am not sure that the basic iCloud Photo Stream will be all that useful for the volumes of data that enthusiast and pro photographers generate. It still has to transfer over the same network that everything else does ... moving a 16G card's worth of image files is going to take forever no matter what over wireless service is.

Nor do I really want all my photos to be streamed hither and yon over wireless to all devices ... I configure each specific device for specific duties, depending upon its features and capacities for intended work, and don't put everything I've got on each of them.

I suspect that there will be apps written to the iCloud APIs that will do the job better, with more sensible configuration for us "power users". That's the real key to iCloud: the API suite that allows it to be used as an integrated part of an application's data storage workflow.

We'll see what it does and where it goes when it ships... :)

Godfrey

The problem with the iPad is that it does not really have any external mass storage (don't want even to talk about the backup).
It doesn't "does not really" ... it simply doesn't. That was not part of the iOS design center: independent devices coordinated with a full-system computer, and with internal sandboxing of file systems to keep them safe and compartmentalized.

The devices have gotten more powerful and sophisticated, and are being used for more and more things, so if it becomes a need Apple will change that design center. Right now, the iPad is simply best for a different kind of computing use than a generalized OS system, it's not a laptop replacement. Nor do I think it really ought to be, at least for my use.

Terry

I am not sure that the basic iCloud Photo Stream will be all that useful for the volumes of data that enthusiast and pro photographers generate. It still has to transfer over the same network that everything else does ... moving a 16G card's worth of image files is going to take forever no matter what over wireless service is.

Nor do I really want all my photos to be streamed hither and yon over wireless to all devices ... I configure each specific device for specific duties, depending upon its features and capacities for intended work, and don't put everything I've got on each of them.

I suspect that there will be apps written to the iCloud APIs that will do the job better, with more sensible configuration for us "power users". That's the real key to iCloud: the API suite that allows it to be used as an integrated part of an application's data storage workflow.

We'll see what it does and where it goes when it ships... :)

I don't send everything everywhere either. But, if the concept matures I could see it being useful when on a trip. I've been skeptical on the whole topic as just sending files to my iDisk is one of the most painful operations I can do on my Mac. It is definitely a walk away and have several drinks operation. I am even more skeptical about keeping everything in the cloud as I listen to most of my music on airplanes where streaming music is not possible and therefore scratch my head at both the Google and Amazon offerings. Don't mean to get this thread OT so I will shut up now.

Godfrey

Communicating #45

Ricoh GXR + A12 50mm f/2.5 Macro
ISO 367 @ f/4 @ 1/45 second

thanks for looking. comments appreciated.

Godfrey

Walk Through The Underpass

ISO 497 @ f/4 @ 1/45 second

thanks for looking.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Color and composition are wonderful in "Communicating #45", Godfrey. This is one of those images that begs for you to look at it over and over again

Keith

Godfrey

Communicating #46

ISO 400 @ f/4.5 @ 1/25 second

Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.