The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The usual beautiful and interesting images, Uwe. I like the colour you've shown over the past few days. Looks like Ricoh got the sensor right and with the in camera profiling it's going to be fun to use the m mount

Keith

Godfrey

How did you get on with the EVF Uwe? Did it help focus confirmation for you.
:)

Don't want to speak for him, but I think Uwe was really happy to find that it worked well and wanted to hang onto mine until he obtained one. ];-)

I was ok using either the LCD or EVF ... They *are* quite different in use and I find them useful in different circumstances.

Looking through my photos from yesterday again, I find that the lens I did miss accurate focus with on a couple of times was the Nokton 40mm, and each time it was when I was focusing and shooting at f/1.4. I credit this to two issues:

- razor thin DoF at f/1.4
- the Nokton 40 is slightly soft and its imaging low in contrast when wide open

The latter is a significant issue with all TTL cameras: I often found with my SLR cameras that I would miss the focus more often with a low contrast lens that was slightly soft wide-open and a slower lens that was more contrasty/sharp wide open was easier to focus, regardless of focal length. For instance, my Pentax A28/2.8 was a very lovely lens at f/4-5.6 but was a bit soft and low contrast at f/2.8 ... it was hard to focus on the *ist DS and K10D. But the Pentax FA20-35/4 produced crisp and well-defined imaging even wide open at 20mm - I never missed the correct manual focus even at 20mm with it.

Braeside

Thanks Godfrey.

I wonder if it might be possible to have a way of moving a spot focus target in the camera, and then have a focus confirmation indicator that shows when you have the manual focus correct at that point? Just wonder if that may work better (or worse) than by eye.

Godfrey

I wonder if it might be possible to have a way of moving a spot focus target in the camera, and then have a focus confirmation indicator that shows when you have the manual focus correct at that point? Just wonder if that may work better (or worse) than by eye.
There is no "focus confirmation" signal, nor is there a 'spot' focus feature, so I don't know how this might be implemented.

The focus plane in the image field is indicated when focus assist is turned on by a degree of edge illumination, either against the full color image displayed (mode 1) or against a grayed out (high-pass filter) field (mode 2). Focus assist operates in both normal and enlarged viewing modes too.

The focus assist modes make it very clear and easy to see where the focus plane is, although it can be somewhat difficult to see the image with one or the other depending on the scene type. That's why they disable both magnification and focus assist for easy viewing and framing when you half-press the shutter release, and it looks like there's an option to have pressing the shutter release auto-disable these focusing aids as well with the new firmware. (I think Uwe was looking for this but we didn't find it yesterday).

Godfrey

Godfrey, I also meant to ask, did you find if the lens corrections work in RAW as well as JPG?
According to the A12 Camera Mount brochure at
http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/unit5.html
there is an asterisk note at the bottom of the "Bring classic lenses back to life with functions for peripheral-light and aberration correction" section that says, "* The monitor display and RAW images are not corrected." But it's not clear whether this is indicating all three of the items in this section ("Color Shading Correction", "Peripheral Illumination Correction", and "Distortion correction") or just "Distortion correction."

The A12 28 and 50 mm EFL modules already support "Distortion correction" and that only operates on in-camera JPEG images. So the question is whether the color shading and peripheral illumination corrections are done prior to raw output or after. I didn't try either yesterday so have no further insight on this as yet.

That said, looking at my raw captures with Elmarit 28, Nokton 40 and Skopar 50 lenses, none of them needed any of these corrections in any obvious way that I can see. I see the expected corner-edge light falloff with the Nokton at f/1.4-2 and normal progression of rendering qualities with all the lenses. Perhaps such corrections become more important with focal lengths in the 12 to 18 mm range, and specific lens designs.

Braeside

There is no "focus confirmation" signal, nor is there a 'spot' focus feature, so I don't know how this might be implemented.
Yes,I appreciate that Godfrey, it was a suggestion for a new feature that could perhaps be implemented. It could work something like the crosshairs that you can guide around the screen for macro target and they could go green when that point was in focus. I appreciate the algorithm would have to wait for the user to move the focus back and forward through focus though. Perhaps not very useable as there is no way for the camera to know that the focus is being twiddled. Wish they had put a cam follower in.

Glad to hear that the current firmware is working so well though and thanks also for the comments on how your lenses worked out without correction.

It will be nice to play with v1.40 firmware tomorrow when it is released.

Godfrey

Yes,I appreciate that Godfrey, it was a suggestion for a new feature that could perhaps be implemented. It could work something like the crosshairs that you can guide around the screen for macro target and they could go green when that point was in focus. I appreciate the algorithm would have to wait for the user to move the focus back and forward through focus though. Perhaps not very useable as there is no way for the camera to know that the focus is being twiddled. Wish they had put a cam follower in.

Glad to hear that the current firmware is working so well though and thanks also for the comments on how your lenses worked out without correction.

It will be nice to play with v1.40 firmware tomorrow when it is released.
:)

It is somewhat amusing that you (and others!, you're not alone) are already thinking up new features for a camera that isn't quite released yet. I know I'll spend a week or two studying the A12 Camera Mount once it arrives just to know what's there already in detail.

The always inventive minds of photographer gear heads ... ! ;-)

ustein

Contributing Editor
Here is my take:

1. Crop
2. removed spot on path way

I think this way it is more about the mural.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Here is my take:

1. Crop
2. removed spot on path way

I think this way it is more about the mural.
Mine was similar, but I left in the pavement - I did the right side crop as you have done. Yours is the best.
It presents a conundrum to the viewer on a first glance - is the tree part of the mural? what about the pavement? Which adds interest.
I think cropping is one of the most important elements of the art of photography

Thanks Uwe