The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Braeside

David,

I like this photo, it draws me in.

I'm not sure what I'm viewing, though, the center of its focus to my eye is the couple at the far left. Much of the rest seems a bit of a jumble that I can make out bits and pieces of ... Looks like a museum display or something like that, but there are a lot of distracting elements. It could use just a little simplification to make the intent clearer.
Thanks for the comments Godfrey. I agree it could be simplified. Yes it is in a museum as you guessed. I will return and try another angle on this at some point.

To whet your appetite for the A12-M, here are a couple from today, taken with an Elmarit 28 Asph wide open. Handheld and cropped. I had some others that were better compositions but I shook the camera too much when I reviewed them later, I'm too accustomed to sensor steady shot on the DSLR!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
David, number two turns my crank - colors and detail.

I had a different take to Godfrey on the black and white image. When I first saw it I had to figure out what it was. The details in the shops(?) underneath the structure helped me out. Then I saw the figures in the top left which helped put it all into perspective. Given the mantra of "the longer you look the better it is" this one is really nice

Keith

Braeside

Another from today, just a snapshot to show the detail available from the A12-M with Elmarit 28mm wide open.

100% Crop

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
It's really nice isn't it, I like the texture on the book. How does the IQ fair against your Leica M8 David?

Here is another from the S10 module

Keith

Godfrey

David,

Very nice indeed!
You mean this A12 Camera Mount makes the GXR into a real camera? ]'-)

Sorry, I'm being flippant, reacting to a discussion elsewhere.

The photos look excellent! :)

Braeside

Has yours arrived yet Godfrey?

Keith I do like that board walk or whatever it is. Again great shadow shapes.

Been very busy at work and not had a moment to take M8 v A12-M shots yet. I think I am seeing fewer artefacts from the GXR than the M8 (the pixel density of the GXR is higher so I guess that helps a lot).

Godfrey

Might be on the truck today, if so I'll get it tomorrow at the PO. Otherwise delivery tomorrow ... which might mean pick it up at the PO on Wednesday.

(Having taken a new full-time position two weeks ago, my week-day time is right now very tight as I need to come up to speed on this business quickly. So even if I have it today, it's going to be tough to get some shooting time in other than early mornings and late evenings for a bit.)

ustein

Contributing Editor
It's really nice isn't it, I like the texture on the book. How does the IQ fair against your Leica M8 David?

Here is another from the S10 module

Keith

Keith,

nice. I would crop the top off as I think it becomes a stronger image.

Godfrey

Have to agree with Uwe on this ... it becomes a very different graphical entity without the bits at the very top of the frame.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Godfrey and Uwe - yes I tried that,and it makes a dramatically different image. In this case, I went for the option of showing the scale of the walkway. Without the top, it is difficult to even know it is a walkway. It becomes a piece of abstract art. I like them both.

Keith

Braeside

Yes good point Uwe.

Godfrey, fine on the new full time position.

Its always the same when you get a new camera, poor weather or work gets in the way :)

Godfrey

Godfrey, fine on the new full time position.

Its always the same when you get a new camera, poor weather or work gets in the way :)
Thanks. Long day.

I had some time, just a little, to play with the camera this evening. I did a 40 second HD video with the Nokton 40 ... superb. And I made a self-portrait:

Ricoh GXR+A12 Camera Mount+Nokton 40mm f/1.4
ISO 2500 @ f/2 @ 1/40 second

This lens has such lovely character.

Godfrey

Too Many Bears!

Goofing around ...

Little Polar Bears Watch Al Roker:

ISO 1405 @ f/4 @ 1/30 second

ISO 367 @ f/4 @ 1/30 second

Both with GXR + A12 Camera Mount + Skopar 21mm f/4. Captured raw, processed at the defaults in Lightroom 3.

Too Many Bears! ;-)

Braeside

Godfrey, the too many bears shots show quite a bit of corner colour shift, similar to what I could see on my Leica 28mm when shooting a scene with a uniform background. Hopefully Lightroom can correct this (I don't use Lightroom here though).

Maybe I should hang on to my S10 for wide angle? - though I am thinking of selling it now as I have the P10 for macro and zoom shots.

Godfrey

Godfrey, the too many bears shots show quite a bit of corner colour shift, similar to what I could see on my Leica 28mm when shooting a scene with a uniform background. Hopefully Lightroom can correct this (I don't use Lightroom here though).

Maybe I should hang on to my S10 for wide angle? - though I am thinking of selling it now as I have the P10 for macro and zoom shots.
There certainly is a bit of color shifting but it's not such a great test to compare with as the illumination from the television screen was pretty obnoxious and unevenly distributed.

That said, I'm not considering selling my A12 28mm camera unit at all. Short focal length lenses not designed for a digital sensor are always a lot trickier to work with ... the A12 28mm is an outstanding and small camera for wide work.

The real question is how much of an issue is this for my work? Will I need CornerFix or can I handle the usual amount of correction in Lightroom? Don't know yet ... I kept the Skopar 21mm on the camera today and will be shooting with it for a while to acquire a range of sample images to work with.

I just wish I wasn't so freekin' busy right now.

Braeside

All understood Godfrey, certainly the A12 28mm would be very worthwhile keeping.

I too have to do some real photos outside to determine if any colour shifts at wide-angle are a problem or not in reality. The 15mm will be the one to test first I guess. Maybe today if I get time and the weather allows, it has been wet and windy most of the time here. Have spent most of the time sorting out my camera bag to take the gear. You have too many bears and I have too many bags!

Godfrey

Communicating #57

Ricoh GXR + A12 Camera Mount + Skopar 21mm f/4
ISO 1467 @ f/5.6 @ 1/30 second

thanks for looking. comments appreciated.

Godfrey

All understood Godfrey, certainly the A12 28mm would be very worthwhile keeping.

I too have to do some real photos outside to determine if any colour shifts at wide-angle are a problem or not in reality. The 15mm will be the one to test first I guess. Maybe today if I get time and the weather allows, it has been wet and windy most of the time here. Have spent most of the time sorting out my camera bag to take the gear. You have too many bears and I have too many bags!
David,

Just looked through about thirty-five exposures with the Skopar 21/4, captured as raw and processed in LR. IMO, what minor color shifting there might be is mostly inconsequential for the photography I do, in a practical sense.

This is a lovely, very sharp lens! Like all the Skopars I've tried. :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I like *57, Godfrey. Good composition.

I was pleased that my Jupiter 12 35mm, f2.8 fits the m-mount. It won't work with m4/3. Looks like there is a mm to spare. Thank heavens for the lens-fitter, which also makes a great tool for removing LSM-M adapters from lenses.

Keith

1/130s, f5.6, ISO 200