The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Keith,
Thanks.... I just feel that I want to stay as compact as possible. The M lenses as small as they are just are bigger than the A12 units. I now have 2 bodies and am starting to do events with just the GXR kit.
It's a great camera and the lenses, well the A12 lenses are wonderful. I also have the S10 but I'm not in even like with it. It reminds me of my old GX200.
Anyway, I'll do my part but truthfully, Godfrey is real bad for my wallet....
The ST-3 strap is great.....You all get my adrenaline going but Godfrey puts me over the edge.... I have to stop reading his blog....!

I'll be around....and Keith, just so you know... I may be admin over there but this is my favorite site on the web...
shhhhhhh

Godfrey

A Couple of Still Lifes

Ricoh GXR-M + Leitz Elmar 5.0cm

ISO 2500 @ f/6.3 @ 1/25

Ricoh GXR-M + Leitz Elmar 5.0cm

ISO 2500 @ f/6.3 @ 1/45

Made these with a borrowed 1932-1934 Leitz 50mm lens. It demonstrates the imaging possible with these uncoated lenses from the distant past.

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated!

bbodine9

Godfrey,

I really like the "character" of these photos. I cannot express it any other way. I wonder what the market value is today of such a lens? ( if you can even find them )

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Godfrey, the last 2 have that early Kertesz quality. There's a softness in the tonal seperation that modern lenses forget about.

You make it hard for me to maintain my resistance about the M unit.
Don

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Godfrey,

I really like the "character" of these photos. I cannot express it any other way. I wonder what the market value is today of such a lens? ( if you can even find them )
You can find them - at quite good prices. Also worth trying a few of the older Russian copies such as the collapsible Fed 50/3.5 (see Fedka.com)

Keith

Godfrey

Thank you!

I think Paul said the Elmar 50mm was around £140 or something like. It had been serviced shortly before he obtained it and so is in quite clean and nice condition. I don't know how widely available they are, of course.

The imaging qualities are indeed quite lovely. Modern lenses are much higher resolution and have better micro-contrast, and you can get beautiful results out of them too, but these uncoated lenses have an unmistakeable feel of their own.

It's all good. I'll wear your resistance down yet, Don. ;-)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Don, I'm seriously considering two bodies, one for dedicated m-mount (I think Godfrey said he was leaning this way too). I've also got m42 and canon F adapters to Leica m so I can try a few small (and big) zooms. So the GXR is becoming an all around kit for me. I quite enjoy manual focusing. I like the P10 and S10 as well - I've got some of my best stuff from them.

Godfrey the presentation of the train has the same appeal to me as the Nash Metropolitan that you did. The black and white images have that quality of timelessness about them. The 24MP pixel peepers should take a good look at them. :D

This one should not be pixel peeped either. Taken with the CV 35mm 2.8

Keith

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Keith, I am living with 2 bodies already.
I guess the M mount is getting to me as all youse here are getting my M lenses riled up.
I'd like to hold off but resistance seems a futile exercise.
Don

Godfrey

Nice one, Keith!

Bicyclist On Jurby Road - Sandygate 2011
Ricoh GXR-M + M-Rokkor 90mm f/4

Thanks for looking!

Godfrey

Yes, I'll likely add another body at some point. I've got enough money and equipment into this system to want to depend upon it now, so spares does become a consideration.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Great stuff Keith. This camera is bringing out the best in you.

How do you find the S10?
My messing around leaves me not thrilled.
Any tips with it appreciated.
Don

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Great stuff Keith. This camera is bringing out the best in you.

How do you find the S10?
My messing around leaves me not thrilled.
Any tips with it appreciated.
Don

Thanks Don.

I've done much more with the P10 but I like them both. I have the GRD2 and the GX200 but I think the IQ from the P10 and S10 better. The DNG files need a good workover in Lightroom but stand up to it well. The speed of the zooming would be a liability for your kind of street stuff, but it should be ok if you've got set it to step zoom. For my kind of urban landscape stuff the two zooms work well. It's funny, there are people who report loving the P10 especially, but others who say they haven't tried it even though they have it. It's as good as the Canon G11 that's for sure.

I prefer the combo of the GXR with small zoom to the GR and GX - better to hold and easier to use.

Keith

ashwinrao1

GXR/M Mount

I maintain that the Ricoh GXR is no slouch, despite is 1 MP EVF and crapola buffer for single shot capture....Truth be told, I adore the images coming from this lens/sensor combo. All shots here with either the 135 APO-Telyt (eff 200 mm) and the Zeiss Sonnar 50 mm f/1.5 (eff 75 mm)

UW's starting QB - Keith Price (outstanding QB, by the way)
1)

2)

3)

UW's backup QB: Nick Montana (Joe's son)
1)

2)

Swarming Defense, lead by Cort Dennison:
1)

2)

The Running Game, lead by Chris Polk
1)

2)

Colorado's kicker...
10)

Cant forget about the refs
1)

2)

A bit blurry, but the cheer gals were up up and away...

Band was out too:

Sorry about the cross polination with the other thread....but wanted to share in case some of you don't head there