The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Another good one, Michiel. There's no doubt that these window displays coupled with lighting and reflection can produce some very interesting images.

Keith

wstam

Hi all, belated New Year Greeting. Many great photos shared here. I enjoy going through them.

Dec was a busy month for me, plus it's the raining season here. So I have not been doing any shooting. New year eve was a nice sunny day. So decided to go out to take some photos.

This happens to be the very last photo taken on the day, which means it's the last photo taken in 2011:

A mosque taken from a back lane.

This is the front of the mosque:

Both taken with ZM 28mm.

Cheers.

Michiel Schierbeek

@ Arioldi; very nice close reading portrait? :)

@ Keith; One of your best from the trip :thumbs: It is a versatile zoom indeed in your hands.

@ Nice to see you back wstam! Wonderful location!

Godfrey

Winter Light

Ricoh GXR-M + Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5
ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 1/470 second

thanks for looking. comments appreciated.

V

Vivek

I know that San Jose has a totally different climate than wherever YBH. Despite the vastness of CA, it can't be that big a difference (well it could be as well :confused: ).

Godfrey, Your winter light is quite a bit processed to your taste isn't it?

YB's cold desolate with contrasty light and your warm desolate with muddled light- BIG difference to me.

Godfrey

I know that San Jose has a totally different climate than wherever YBH. Despite the vastness of CA, it can't be that big a difference (well it could be as well :confused: ).

Godfrey, Your winter light is quite a bit processed to your taste isn't it?

YB's cold desolate with contrasty light and your warm desolate with muddled light- BIG difference to me.
All my photographs are processed to my taste, Vivek. I am rarely interested in scenes as recordings, my photos are not accurate to anything but what my mind's eye sees. :)

Without wanting to seem unduly harsh, Mr. Hudson's photograph seems overly blue and very flat to my eye. I don't know what statement the juxtaposition of a very close up, perspective-distorted tree trunk is trying to make against the few trees and more distant landscape, and the dark shadow on lower left is somewhat distracting.

I walk by this orchard every weekend and see it in all different seasons and weather. The light this morning reminded me of January ... a cool moisture in the air, drops of dew and naked branches glinting harshly against the low-angle light contraposed against the glow of the low angle light through the grass. It all feels cold, contrasty, harsh but not dead. This high clouds against deep blue sky another indicator of space, cold, winter ...

I tone it warm because I prefer to see warm tones rather than blue tones: the tone of little import. The space, the nakedness of the trees, the angle of light and the frosty moisture all say "January, Winter" to my eye.

I can't tell from what you wrote whether it says the same thing to you.

V

Vivek

Thank you Godfrey for your extensive reply. I did not say anything as to what your picture evoked and Hudson's. I wanted get your take on it (yours) and did not actually ask it. Thanks! :) Yes, it fits my thoughts perfectly!

On Hudson's image- that takes me much farther than a tree stump with a couple of trees in the back. The shadow in the foreground is essential to the whole picture. I won't explain further. One has to let his/her imagination wander. ;)

V

Vivek

Michiel, Keith and the other contributors:

Love this thread! Keep up the good work!:thumbup:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Good compo, and love the window, Keith!

Michiel
Thanks Michiel

That building and the mural always fascinates me. Most of my shots of it are taken looking up, so I get vertical distortion. This time I used the 28mm and decided to get as close as possible. Still had to process out a bit of leaning vertical, but I was lucky with the reflection in the window.
Number 14 is great !

Keith