The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Duane Pandorf

Butting in? No problem at all, Duane. I look forward to seeing your photographs!

Although I might advise you to consider a Nokton 40mm f/1.4 rather than the 35mm f/1.4. They're quite similar in size, but I find I prefer the slightly longer focal length of the 40mm on APS-C format.
Hi Godfrey, I know from other forums your preference for the Nokton 40mm. Somewhere in the past week, can't remember where though, I read someone found the 40mm to be a little flat compared to the 35mm. Not sure what camera body they were working with.

Also, do you prefer the MC or SC version?

BTW, I ordered a new M Mount today vice the slightly used one listed here.

I head out to work tomorrow so the kit will arrive sometime next week while I'm gone, so no hurry yet for the lens.

Braeside

This is a very nice series but what caught my attention the most were the pheasants. If my Springer could only smell and hear them through my computer..... as we didn't make it out to South Dakota this past fall to hunt.

Hi Duane,

You leave Colonel Hunt's pheasants alone. :poke: :)

Actually they are not hunted in that place, though a few get run over on the main road nearby. Stupid birds.

We have a regular cock pheasant who visits our garden to feed on the seed dropped from the bird feeders. Beautiful things, and very tasty. ;)

Best wishes.

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey, I know from other forums your preference for the Nokton 40mm. Somewhere in the past week, can't remember where though, I read someone found the 40mm to be a little flat compared to the 35mm. Not sure what camera body they were working with.

Also, do you prefer the MC or SC version?

BTW, I ordered a new M Mount today vice the slightly used one listed here.

I head out to work tomorrow so the kit will arrive sometime next week while I'm gone, so no hurry yet for the lens.
I have the MC version of the Nokton 40 ... haven't used the SC version so I can't talk to the differences. It's a superb lens. I also have the M-Rokkor 40/2, second generation ... same lens design and construction as the Summicron-C and first gen, but with multi coating. That's another superb performer (all three of them).

I don't know what "a little flat" means in this context. Both Nokton f/1.4 lenses are excellent, however, and you can't go wrong with either. I just like the longer focal length more ... turns out that about 40mm is one of my favorite focal lengths whether we're talking about APS-C or "full frame" format. It's a long-normal on APS-C and a wide-normal on "full frame". Something about what it does image-wise just pleases me no end.

(I'd also like to get my hands on the Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited. I had one of these lenses in the SLR mount and it was my all-time favorite Pentax lens. I almost kept a Pentax body just to be able to use that lens...
They're just rare in the "L" version, and a bit expensive as a result.)

Godfrey

Nice one Godfrey!

Enjoy :thumbup:
Thanks!

Just returned from my first "familiarization" walk with it. Funny ... I'm not used to having aperture priority AE with a Leica M body and probably blew a number of exposures that way! ;-) But it's a lovely thing to work with—I know much more about it now.

The GXR is quite safe: they are two entirely different cameras in almost every possible way. Both have a unique feel and work in their own way. The GXR is a much more versatile camera, and it's faster. The M9 forces you into a different pace and a different way of seeing. Having both is a tremendous moment of good fortune. :)

Braeside

I know what you mean Godfrey, I had an M8 (upgraded to 8.2 spec) and enjoyed it a lot despite the limitations of the 1.3 crop factor and having to use IR cut filters on every lens). My only rangefinder now is FED-3a Type 2 which I really bought for the 55mm Lanthar lens, but is so lovely that I put a roll of film in it to try out. Still only half way through that film...

Duane Pandorf

I have the MC version of the Nokton 40 ... haven't used the SC version so I can't talk to the differences. It's a superb lens. I also have the M-Rokkor 40/2, second generation ... same lens design and construction as the Summicron-C and first gen, but with multi coating. That's another superb performer (all three of them).

I don't know what "a little flat" means in this context. Both Nokton f/1.4 lenses are excellent, however, and you can't go wrong with either. I just like the longer focal length more ... turns out that about 40mm is one of my favorite focal lengths whether we're talking about APS-C or "full frame" format. It's a long-normal on APS-C and a wide-normal on "full frame". Something about what it does image-wise just pleases me no end.

(I'd also like to get my hands on the Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited. I had one of these lenses in the SLR mount and it was my all-time favorite Pentax lens. I almost kept a Pentax body just to be able to use that lens...
They're just rare in the "L" version, and a bit expensive as a result.)
Thanks Godfrey, I have a few days before I need to decide but I'm leaning heavily towards the Voight 40 but have spied a couple other 40 options eBay.

Michiel Schierbeek

That has the 50mm summicron look certainly Michiel.

Are you changing jobs or what?

Best wishes.
Yeah nice lens, could have made that a little darker, I see now.

I am going on a slightly early pension jobwise, but for the rest I will go on doiing my other work.

I am not gonne sit behind the geraniums as they say over here :)

Michiel

Braeside

Yeah nice lens, could have made that a little darker, I see now.

I am going on a slightly early pension jobwise, but for the rest I will go on doiing my other work.

I am not gonne sit behind the geraniums as they say over here :)

Michiel
I love that expression Michiel :)

Enjoy your semi retirement and I look forward to more of your photos.

Duane Pandorf

I have the MC version of the Nokton 40 ... haven't used the SC version so I can't talk to the differences. It's a superb lens. I also have the M-Rokkor 40/2, second generation ... same lens design and construction as the Summicron-C and first gen, but with multi coating. That's another superb performer (all three of them). ....
I've come across a mint M-Rokkor 40/2 that I may consider as its being offered for less than $500.00. I've made an offer for less than that so we'll see. If not it I will buy the 40 1.4 MC version.

Godfrey

The M-Rokkor 40 is great, you'll like it. It's also a lot smaller and lighter than the Nokton 40, which isn't big to begin with!

These lenses have a great "presence" and the GXR renders it very well.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Bob, I prefer the composition of #1 over the second. Thanks for posting and enjoy your A12 Mount.
Thanks, I agree... also seems a little crisp when viewed here. Probably most of the morning was spent with the NEX 7...and the best compositions were out of that camera....probably related to my spending the majority of the latter time with it around the lake.

I have posted a couple pics over there....

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bob, I love the detail in the trees - I'll go for no 2.

Keith
Keith,

It prints a lot better than it displays here....

I was able to get some 25+ keepers that morning...maybe a new record or shows where my interest resides.

Would love to see the GXR modules up the pixels....these are printing well at 11x16 but landscapes can always use as much data as possible.

Bob

Michiel Schierbeek

Keith,

It prints a lot better than it displays here....

I was able to get some 25+ keepers that morning...maybe a new record or shows where my interest resides.

Would love to see the GXR modules up the pixels....these are printing well at 11x16 but landscapes can always use as much data as possible.

Bob
Hi Bob,

We both have the GXR and NEX-7. Do you see the 12 MP difference?
The Ricoh files always surprise me in crispyness and sharpness, but one have to really experience it in the bigger prints.
Somehow especially your first photograph of the pond strikes me as crisper then the ones in the NEX thread about the same subject.

But I could be mistaken of course.
I still did not use any of my Leica lenses on the NEX.
It is kind of difficult to choose which camera to take out :rolleyes:(A luxury problem)

Well, I need more time to really tell. I like both systems.
The Ricoh with the wider VC and Zeiss biogon and the NEX with my Contax Zeiss lenses. But then there are still so many lenses to try out.

Kind regards,
Michiel