The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Godfrey

Neat lens, Keith.

In addition to the Polaroid SX-70 (see Time Zero ...), my uncle gifted me with his Nikon N80 and Pronea S cameras and lenses. The pick of the batch is the Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-AF ... I haven't tried it on the GXR yet but I will. About 40 to 160 mm EFL is a nice one-lens zoom range for wandering about sporting events, despite being a bit on the slow side.

That's a nice lobby shot, Duane!

The Summicron-C 40mm is one of my old favorites. I'm using its sibling - the second generation M-Rokkor 40/2 - on the M9 right now, but it's just as 'at home' on the GXR as a long normal rather than being a wide normal. ;-)

Too much equipment again. Sigh. Oh well, my Impossible film for the SX-70 arrived today. If I can get up to SF tomorrow, I'll bring that along as well as the GXR and see what I can see with it.

Duane Pandorf

Neat lens, Keith.

That's a nice lobby shot, Duane!

The Summicron-C 40mm is one of my old favorites. I'm using its sibling - the second generation M-Rokkor 40/2 - on the M9 right now, but it's just as 'at home' on the GXR as a long normal rather than being a wide normal. ;-)

Too much equipment again. Sigh. Oh well, my Impossible film for the SX-70 arrived today. If I can get up to SF tomorrow, I'll bring that along as well as the GXR and see what I can see with it.
Look forward to your SF shots. I'm finding the 40mm maybe just a bit long for me. The A12 28mm module that I have is fine when I really need wide angle, but I'm thinking I may try the Voight 28 Ultron to get a little bit wider than the 40mm that I have for my normal lens.

I can't afford the Leica 28mm Summicron F2 and I'd prefer one stop faster than the Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f2.8. However, that Elmarit is probably impossible to beat wide open.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Duane, If you can find the 28 1.9 Ultron...you'd have a gem for that focal length.
If you can't find one...I'll lend you mine.
Don

ps... I'd send it to you FedEx but I don't know about their pilots.

Last edited:

Duane Pandorf

Duane, If you can find the 28 1.9 Ultron...you'd have a gem for that focal length.
If you can't find one...I'll lend you mine.
Don

ps... I'd send it to you FedEx but I don't know about their pilots.
Don, I may have to take you up on that offer. I'm not yet ready to buy one and want to shoot a month or more with this 40mm until I get the hang of shooting manually. But so far I'm liking the results I'm getting from the A12 Mount.

Godfrey

Look forward to your SF shots. I'm finding the 40mm maybe just a bit long for me. The A12 28mm module that I have is fine when I really need wide angle, but I'm thinking I may try the Voight 28 Ultron to get a little bit wider than the 40mm that I have for my normal lens.

I can't afford the Leica 28mm Summicron F2 and I'd prefer one stop faster than the Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f2.8. However, that Elmarit is probably impossible to beat wide open.
Unfortunately I didn't get there. Oh well, next week maybe.

Yes, 40mm on the APS-C format is a touch long ... I love it, but I do like having something a bit shorter as well. I tend to toggle between the 40 and 21 most of the time, but sometimes—like recently—I fit a 28mm and just use the one lens.

I have both the Ultron 28mm f/2 and the Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5. Both are delightful lenses (probably not quite up to the Summicron-M 28/2 or Elmarit-M 28/2.8 but darn good). The Ultron 28/1.9 is preferred by many .. I think mostly because it doesn't focus shift where the 28/2 does. (If you're working with a Leica M it's a bit of a problem, but with a TTL camera like the GXR it's not.) The f/1.9 flares more wide open, the f/2 is slightly softer wide open.

The Color-Skopar 28 is just a delightful, small lens. It seems to be very sharp even wide open and it is very unobtrusive and fun to work with.

It's a toss up ... I'm happy with both Voigtländers. Personally, if I were going for a Zeiss or Leica lens, I'll likely go for the Biogon 25mm f/2.8 ZM.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I know this is slightly OT, but I will have a pristine 25/2.5 Biogon for sale as soon as I get home this week; on the GXR, I find that it's a bit front heavy, but the results optically are excellent. I am on the lookout myself for of the CV 28/3.5s that Godfrey talks about, just for this use: it's the perfect walk-around focal length for me. "ƒ8 and be there!" anybody?

Godfrey, which of the CV28s is the sharper at ƒ8, or are they pretty much identical at this aperture?

Godfrey

I know this is slightly OT, but I will have a pristine 25/2.5 Biogon for sale as soon as I get home this week; on the GXR, I find that it's a bit front heavy, but the results optically are excellent. I am on the lookout myself for of the CV 28/3.5s that Godfrey talks about, just for this use: it's the perfect walk-around focal length for me. "ƒ8 and be there!" anybody?

Godfrey, which of the CV28s is the sharper at ƒ8, or are they pretty much identical at this aperture?
By f/5 or so, the Ultron 28/2 and the Color Skopar 28/3.5 are just about indistinguishable from one another. The little Skopar is a delight at f/5-f/8. I got lucky and found a truly "as new" black one that someone in SoCal had up for sale. I nipped it up in a hurry; don't know why Cosina/Voigtländer decided not to do an M-bayonet version of the Color-Skopar 28 and 50 mm lenses. They're both really sweet.

BTW:
Remember that the old "f/8 and be there!" exhortation of 35mm photography is more like "f/5 and be there!" in APS-C format. I tend to have either lens set to f/4.5-5 most of the time. :)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Godfrey; thanks for that. Yes, I am aware of the new rule... but sharpness is just so much more critical these days, so I just go with the old rule! I have emailed Stephen at cameraquest, in case he can find me one of the Color Skopars; I am with you on that one, too. I'd rather have a tiny kit, and 1600 ISO is acceptable on the M module for snapshots, IMHO. Cheers, KL

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hey all; this one courtesy of the CV 50/1.5, via RPP (for Mitch), with a little tweaking courtesy of PK Sharpener. I love the bokeh of this lens, not to mention 'Predator' focussing mode.

This is Suu Kyi; Miss Neatness (check the feet). The long-suffering model who just wants to sit in peace.

Michiel Schierbeek

I would never sell the 25/2.5 Biogon. It is by far my favourite lens on the GXR!
You will regret it. Is this topheavy already for a big guy like you? :D
I agree the ZM Zeiss lenses draw a little cool (oposed to the Contax Zeiss), but so sharp and easy to focus.
No problem in PP.

Michiel

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Michiel, I really like the first one (bicycle and pedestrian).

I like the results of the Biogon; it's more that I want the smaller 28 Color Skopar for a forthcoming trip to Italy—a one-lens, take-camera-everywhere thing.

@ Godfrey: that really made me smile (and it took quite a while to explain the 'big' reference to Miss O, my partner, because in reality, Suu Kyi is one of the smallest cats around!).