The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus UK Photo Safari Group News...

Brian Mosley

Hello everyone,

fantastic news, now that we have almost 100 Safari Group members, based mainly in the UK, but also across the world - we are able to move to a new phase of growth, with Safari Group Contacts hosting our own, local events...
Safari Group Upcoming Events Map

This will allow us to introduce many new members to the group and run an increasing number of events across the world... can you imagine a worldwide network of Olympus shooters, willing to help each other explore the best photographic locations with local knowledge? this is going to be unbelievable!

We'll also be collaborating on many more special reports and reviews, which you can subscribe to here :
Safari Group Reports

I hope that's of interest, and we would appreciate your feedback - as this is truly a team effort.

Kind Regards

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The safari group is a really nice initiative, and you seem to be enjoying yourself. Being in a faraway country, I can only enjoy the results of your efforts, but I'll certainly get in touch if I manage to make a diversion through England on my next European journey.

Brian Mosley

Hi Jorgen, we will certainly look forward to meeting you the next time you're in the UK, and please be aware that we are currently encouraging our 14 International members to post local events in their countries around the world... I think the closest to you would be our Malaysian contact.

Please feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like to join, it would be great to have a meeting point near to you!

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

I went to one of our 'mini-events' yesterday - had a fantastic time with fellow Safari Group members Nick Webster, Andrew Swan, Jon Simpkin and Rod Souter... here are a handful of my best shots. The E-3 + 50-200mm SWD makes an awesome fast action camera!

E-3 + 50-200mm SWD
1/500s f/3.5 at 147.0mm iso100

1/500s f/3.5 at 137.0mm iso100

E-3 + 50-200mm SWD + 1.4x T.C.
1/640s f/5.0 at 283.0mm iso200

1/640s f/5.0 at 283.0mm iso200

1/640s f/4.5 at 77.0mm iso100

1/640s f/5.0 at 283.0mm iso320

I learned loads from the experienced members in the group, and really enjoyed the day out too!

We'll be putting a mini-report in our next Safari Group newsletter - you can subscribe here :
Safari Group Reports

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Thanks Jorgen, these are processed from RAW using Studio 2, with finishing (relighting, scaling and sharpening) using LightZone.

Kind Regards

Brian

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Brian,

These are beautiful photos. Thanks!

Could you comment on focusing speed of the 50-200/2.8-3-5 with the E-3?

Kind regards,

Brian Mosley

Hi Ocean, the 50-200mm SWD on the E-3 is fast enough to accurately track motor bikes moving at 130mph :) seriously, it's F A S T !!!!!!

All of these shots were taken in C-AF mode, the last four shots with the 1.4x TC included.

I did find a couple of times that switching to review my shots, and back to focusing, with the 1.4x TC attached it took over a second to rack through the entire range to get a lock on the distant track - but I just accept that as what the latest technology is capable of.

I am really interested in doing more fast action photography now with the E-3 and SWD lenses - it's obviously a seriously capable tool... hopefully I'll improve with practice!

p.s. We've nearly got everyone's comments together and some more awesome shots to go in the article... my guess is that we'll have something available within the next couple of weeks max.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Cadwell Park Report ready for download...

Just a quick update - we now have a special report from the Cadwell Park event, some great motorsport shooting tips in here...

You can register to download this, and all of our reports here :
Olympus UKPSG Reports

Please let us know what you think? we're constantly striving to improve our output, while concentrating on getting out and improving our photography together.

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Thanks Jorgen, these are processed from RAW using Studio 2, with finishing (relighting, scaling and sharpening) using LightZone.

Kind Regards

Brian
Sheesh Brian - you know how to make life fast and simple :ROTFL:

Still - the results tell the tale - great shots.

Brian Mosley

What can I say Jono? I really like Oly colour (Studio is the only way to get it), and I love Lightzone for working individual images.

I really enjoyed browsing your galleries just now - the Cornwall shots on the beach with your D3 are beautiful - and I wish Olympus could get a hold of the sensor in that M8!

Kind Regards

Brian