The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - quick review

Godfrey

Ok, so I caved and bought one. Got the GXR body, A12 28mm f/2.5 camera module, GV-2 optical finder.

It's delightful. First compact that seems just right. Controls are well laid out and easy to work even for my big mitts. They way they interact in use is remarkably thoughtful, whomever did this design deserves an award. The A12 28mm is a very fine lens. The sensor seems very good indeed right up to ISO 1600 with ISO 3200 still usable. AF is occasionally a little tetchy but the combination of spot AF and quick flip over to MF, plus Snap focusing modes, completely eliminates any problems.

There's a host of stuff I haven't even looked at yet like an intervalometer built in, video capture, etc. Amazing. What really gets me is how usable it is even while being so small and light.

I posted some quickie photos in the image thread ...
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22674

I blame Keith. Now when will that darn M lens camera module ship?

bbodine9

Godfrey,

Did you try the loaner from Popflash or did you just buy it from them outright? Sounds like you are really enjoying the camera, look forward to your posts about how it handles and the IQ.

Godfrey

Did you try the loaner from Popflash or did you just buy it from them outright? Sounds like you are really enjoying the camera, look forward to your posts about how it handles and the IQ.
the loaner program requires a fairly substantial deposit which I wasn't comfortable with.. I decided to just order what I wanted and figured it was a limited risk.

I am very pleased with it so far. The first blush of romance, maybe ... ]:)

Last edited:

Terry

So,
What happened to I'm in no rush, I don't really need this.....did I dose your coffee last week?

Godfrey

So,
What happened to I'm in no rush, I don't really need this.....did I dose your coffee last week?
LOL! I think you did! :)

No, really .. When I see what I think is the right thing to do, I do it. All the way along I've been looking at the X1 and X100, the E-Px and GFx cameras and been put off by one thing or another. When Keith mentioned this one, I took a long hard look at it: the design just seemed right.

So far it seems to be just what I hoped it would be. I still don't need it, but I think it will work out just right for my ideas.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Godfrey

I'm so pleased, and looking forward to some images :salute:

But, I'm laying low for a while

Keith

Godfrey

Was out street shooting with it on Sunday. It really is a delightful camera to work the street with.

Today I had a chance to handle it next to the X1. Very interesting: the X1 is even simpler, a bit thicker, has a really nice silky feel to it ... but it's too short by comparison. I'd need the X1 grip.

I am happy with my choice .... This camera really performs very well indeed!

I did order a second battery for it today. I think I'll be using it enough that one battery isn't going to make it.

jamesk8752

Hate to admit it, but your enthusiasm for the GRD/28 got me interested and now I have one too...

So far it seems to be an excellent walkaround camera, at least for me. I have a lot to learn if I am to use all of its functionality, though.

Regards, Jim

Godfrey

Good luck with it! I'm sure enjoying mine.

I'm on the road for the next three weeks and carrying a full Olympus E-5 kit and the GXR/A12 28mm. So far, I've only taken out the GXR. Hmm. I might even order the A12 50 camera module and have it shipped to my brother in NY.

It's got a lot of stuff in it, and the image quality is simply terrific. And it's so small and light.

Oren Grad

How do you like using it with the optical finder? That's the configuration I'd be interested in. I currently have one of those little GV-2's on my LX5, and previously tried a GR-D with it too.

My understanding is that unlike with the GR-D series, you can't turn off the LCD on the GXR. Perhaps that's incorrect? If not, does it bother you?

Godfrey

How do you like using it with the optical finder? That's the configuration I'd be interested in. I currently have one of those little GV-2's on my LX5, and previously tried a GR-D with it too.

My understanding is that unlike with the GR-D series, you can't turn off the LCD on the GXR. Perhaps that's incorrect? If not, does it bother you?
It's really set up for the EVF rather than an optical finder, but the LCD is so good and I need to get my eye so close to the finder to see properly the lighted LCD isn't any problem. I use them interchangeably....

As mentioned I'm traveling at present. Bonn docking for the night near Kingman Az. So far I haven't touched the DSLR at all. The GXR and iPad are proving a dynamite pair.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This is one from the P10 module. This module is a lot of fun, and the DNGs respond very well to processing.

Keith

Godfrey

Keith ... I like what you're getting out of the P10 module. Has an interesting feel to the images I've seen.

Since I never know when I might want to throw any of my cameras onto a tripod, and all of my heads have Arca-Swiss QR clamps fitted, I picked up a Kirk Enterprises PZ-130 camera plate for point and shoot cameras. Fits the GXR well. The rubber pad they put on it is a bit soft and a bit too thick ... I'll remove that and replace it with a bit of 300gsm printing paper instead, which will connect the camera more securely with the tripod. It fits with the clamp channel running fore/aft, clamping lever or knob on the right. It's very nicely made and small/compact. $30 plus shipping.

My little GXR kit is growing. It's almost big enough now to fill half a shoebox... ! Figured I should include a pic in this thread of the camera with A12 50mm and Leica 5cm finder too:

];-)

Diane B

Godfrey, I have one question that I haven't found an answer to anywhere. I'm sort of guessing from the actual lens descriptions but wondering if the P, S and A are signifying a type of module (lens, sensor, etc.). I would have thought the Ricoh site would have given some kind of description of what each meant but found nothing so just making asumptions from each lens.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
> picked up a Kirk Enterprises PZ-130 camera plate for point and shoot cameras. Fits the GXR well.

Has to be removed for battery and card, right?

Godfrey

Godfrey, I have one question that I haven't found an answer to anywhere. I'm sort of guessing from the actual lens descriptions but wondering if the P, S and A are signifying a type of module (lens, sensor, etc.). I would have thought the Ricoh site would have given some kind of description of what each meant but found nothing so just making asumptions from each lens.
I can only deduce like you that the A, P and S indicate sensor type/size and the number indicates Mpixel count. The A12 camera modules share the same sensor (16x24mm 12Mpixel CMOS), the P10 and S10 camera modules each have a 10Mpixel sensor but two different dimensions (1/2.3" or 6.16x4.62mm CMOS in the P, 1/1.7" or 7.6x5.7mm CCD in the S). All four of these are leaf shutter camera modules.

The M-lens expansion module announcement states it will have the same size sensor and Mpixels as the A12 camera modules but with a focal plane shutter. I don't know if it will have a new code associated with it ... but if the sensor is as good as either of the A12 camera modules, it will be an excellent module for fitting lenses onto. I don't worry too much what they call it. :)

Godfrey

picked up a Kirk Enterprises PZ-130 camera plate for point and shoot cameras. Fits the GXR well.
Has to be removed for battery and card, right?
Yes, certainly. And for changing camera modules .. it need to have some purchase on the bottom of the camera module for the camera to be secured properly.

I can't imagine a way to fit a camera adapter onto such a tiny body without requiring that it be removed for battery/card changing. I also don't see myself using it on a tripod too often, but I wanted the ability to do so with my current heads and clamps. :)