The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital sensor in a 35mm camera?

A number of years ago I read about Kodak working on a device that could be loaded into the film chamber of a 35mm camera that would allow digital images to be recorded with the camera. Sort of like the equivalent of a digital back for MF and LF cameras I guess. Has anyone heard about any progress on this project or other companies doing something similar? Hopefully it allows full frame coverage of any lenses used on the camera. My other main concern is - cost.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
No, certainly not a universal fitting one with high resolution, besides if it were, high resolution, you would probably not like the performance as digital puts more demands on the accuracy of focusing and other bits such as angle of incidence.
As for cost, I am sure that if it pleases on quality, it will not on cost.
-bob

tom in mpls

No way. Too many cost and technical problems. Even such seemingly minor issues such as turning it on and off and providing power. I see it as technically feasible but completely impractical.