The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dusty, wet 'n rough - what pocket camera?

schuster

Here we are, baking in 90 degree heat, "back to school" and "end of season" ads are popping up... and still I haven't seen a worthwhile, unbiased review of this summer's pocketable cameras that can shake off bumps, dunks and dirt.

Obviously, as a member of this illustrious forum, I'm not talking about a ruggedized 5mp camera phone. Isn't there something out there that can produce images that are at least distantly related to what would be acceptable to us?

Has anyone here found a take-anywhere gem that does the deed?

Terry

Don't know that I would go to 16mp on a tiny sensor.
The Pentax certainly gets a lot of good press.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Don't know that I would go to 16mp on a tiny sensor.
The Pentax certainly gets a lot of good press.
I'm interested in the 4x4 pixel binning they do with it, and also for the capabiity of some heavy cropping. Since I bought my DP1x I'm moving over to the small image is beautiful brigade . . . . . SIBB :)

There seem to be many intense discussions on other threads, mainly spurred on by Sony developments, saying that you can't squeeze too many pixels onto a chip if you do other things right. This move is unusual for Ricoh, whose top level cameras are still pegged at 12 mp. This 16mp camera may be a test bed for things to come at the high end.

I ordered the PX while my wife was not looking :D , should get it tomorrow

Keith