The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - M Lens camera unit almost there ...

Braeside

I do have a couple of questions:

Is the charger included with camera body purchase?

Is the camera strap included?

scho

Thanks Keith, I just noticed that my favourite RAW program - Aperture - doesn't support the Ricoh:mad:
I do have Capture 1 so I suppose...
David,
Aperture 3.1.3 with CR 3.7.1 on my Mac using OS 10.6.8 works fine with GXR raw files.

Yes and yes.

Godfrey

Yes, charger and battery are included with the body.

The strap included with the body works but is kinda rough edged. Ricoh sells an excellent, comfortable leather accessory neckstrap (I think model ST-1), and their bottom half-cases (SC-65 and SC-75) are beautifully finished leather as well and include a better strap.

Current Aperture 3 release running on Lion processes GXR raw files (native DNG) very nicely. So do all versions of Camera Raw, Lightroom and other DNG compatible software.

Irenaeus

I second and third the suggestions that you go ahead and get a Ricoh lens module along with the camera body while you wait, David. The current A12 lenses are both excellent and, if nothing else, they would give you AF capability for when that would be useful.

One thought, though, about which one to begin with:

Unless you already have M-mount lenses with focal lengths of 18mm or less, you might do well to consider the A12/28mm lens instead of the A12/50. If you're heavily into macro, that would certainly be a consideration, but you'd be less likely to have unwanted duplication if you started out with the A12/28. I own both, and use them both, but am settling down to the 28 as my main lens.

Your mileage, of course, may vary, but I first became interested in the 28 because someone with an M9 had opted to use it on the GXR instead of buying Leica glass for his M9. I'm not qualified to suggest there'd be no discernible difference, I'm just saying he thought it a workable setup.

We'll be looking forward to seeing your photos in either case, and hope you enjoy your own solution immensely!

All the best,

Irenaeus

Godfrey

Unless you already have M-mount lenses with focal lengths of 18mm or less, you might do well to consider the A12/28mm lens instead of the A12/50. If you're heavily into macro, that would certainly be a consideration, but you'd be less likely to have unwanted duplication if you started out with the A12/28. I own both, and use them both, but am settling down to the 28 as my main lens. ...
This is a good point. The A12 28mm camera unit is very nicely optimized and the combination of "Spot AF" and "Full Press Snap" mode makes it a very practical shooting tool for a very wide angle FoV.

I have both A12 camera units and find that I go about a week of using each of them. In essence, the GXR with these two modules is like having two separate fixed prime lens cameras, each with its own character. Fitting the EVF instead of an optical viewfinder also changes the nature of the camera ... I spent all day Monday documenting the renovation of my condo's windows using the EVF and 28mm lens where the GXR feels like a diminutive but professional wide-angle camera with all the in-viewfinder information of an SLR system camera.

Ah ... just two-three more weeks now. ;-)

Braeside

Thanks all for the input, very good to know that I was wrong about Aperture not supporting the Ricoh. :) Don't know how I came to that conclusion, I must have been looking at an outdated Apple Aperture support page or something.

So, I have ordered the GXR+P10 bundle + VF-2 +LC-2 + Leather Strap + Spare Battery and will get the A12 Mount when available.

@ Irenaeus: I do have an 18mm Zeiss for wide-angle, but may at a later date look at the A12 modules, but for now this is enough to be spending in one go. ;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the link, David

The Voightlander 40mm 1.4 fits the GXR well, and the images look good. I have one of those :)

Keith

Braeside

Yes, all looks very good indeed.

Just received the GXR camera and lensor today. Battery charged and firmware updated. I like the build and handling so far. EVF is fine, especially good for a glasses wearer like myself.

Do you guys bother with an LCD protector? I ordered a GGS one, but may not fit it, will see.

The leather strap is on back order so have fitted the standard one for now, rather than risk dropping it.

May have a quick browse through the manual(s) now, so many of them plus correction sheets etc and of course firmware upgrade notes.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi David

I have a glass protector on mine, since damaging an LCD on my gx-200.

You should be aware that the default for "full press snap" is set to ON - unless you are aware of it you make get some out of focus shots (the camera will go to snap mode if you press the shutter fully trough the half way (auto - focus) point. Most photographers leave it on, and are aware of its functionality.

Keith

Godfrey

I haven't bothered with any LCD protection stuff with any of my cameras. I've never seen any damage happen.

Another strap option is a Gordy's Camera Strap string-type wrist strap. They're beautifully made, very strong, and not expensive. Sometime I prefer that as the neckstrap ... any neckstrap! ... can get in the way. http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/

Braeside

Thanks Keith, I can see I have a lot to learn about the foibles of this camera.

Here is one today a crop from the S10

Braeside

I haven't bothered with any LCD protection stuff with any of my cameras. I've never seen any damage happen.

Another strap option is a Gordy's Camera Strap string-type wrist strap. They're beautifully made, very strong, and not expensive. Sometime I prefer that as the neckstrap ... any neckstrap! ... can get in the way. http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/
You are right Godfrey, I took the shoulder strap off and put on a wriststrap that I had, much nicer with the small body. May put on the leather strap when it arrives. I think it will be best when I have the A12 mount.

I am wary of scratching LCDs after an incident a few years ago, some cameras are worse than others, for example my TZ10 has no protector and not a scratch.

Godfrey

It's nice to be able to hang the camera from your neck or shoulder when out on a minimalist walk, the leather strap is great for that. I'm usually carrying a bag, though, so the wrist strap is less intrusive then.

Nice shot!

Braeside

Thanks for all the comments. I am loving this GXR and can't wait for the A12 mount to be available, still no word from my UK suppliers on price or availability date. :mad:

I received the leather strap today, and it is perfect, pliable and discrete in black. No blazing logos or brand names.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Thanks for all the comments. I am loving this GXR and can't wait for the A12 mount to be available, still no word from my UK suppliers on price or availability date. :mad:

I received the leather strap today, and it is perfect, pliable and discrete in black. No blazing logos or brand names.
Ricoh is a class act. All of their accessories that I've purchased are just as well worked out and as high quality as the GXR. It's been a pleasure to re-discover Ricoh! In ages long past, I bought Ricoh SLR bodies for my camera staff when I was in high school and they were our price workhorse tools. I had the GR1 in the middle 1990s and it was/is a superb compact camera. Now the GXR system ... amazing that this company with its tiny tiny footprint in the consciousness of the photographer community has produced so many good cameras and lenses for so long.

I've been busy the past week getting my kit for the "GXR-M" together. I was initially going to order just the Ultron 28/2 and Nokton 40/1.4 to complement the Skopar 50/2.5 I already had.

Then in a fit of nostalgia I bought a Leica M4-2 body.

That opens me up to two formats and wanting the right lenses to share between them. I decided on three lenses as the base set for each with the notion of one ultra fast lens for each and the rest as compact as possible ... for the GXR, it's the Skopar 21, Ultron 28 and Skopar 50. For the M4-2, it's the Skopar 35, Nokton 40, and M-Rokkor 90. Of course, all these M-bayonet lenses can be used on either body. For the GXR, I also have the Nikkor-H 85 and Pentax 135 available through adaptation, thanks to its focusing TTL viewfinder. A Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 is wending its way here as well, also for the GXR.

I'll recoup some of the money spent in acquiring this lens kit by selling off items in my DSLR kit that they obviate.

Braeside

Godfrey, that's a good collection of lenses to have for sure.

I'm starting with my present M8 collection - 18/4 Zeiss, 28/2.8 Leica, CV35/2.5, 50/2 Leica and CV75/2.5. I may add a CV15/3.5.

Will be interesting to see what other adaptors from M to x are going to become available. I'd like a T Mount to put it on my telescope for digi-scoping.

I have also used Ricoh in the past, I had a Ricoh 500G rangefinder in the late 70's and an RDC5300 2.3MP digital quite a few years ago, it had an optical zoom coupled viewfinder which was very useful. Also a shutter that covered the LCD display and in built automatic lens cap, quite unique at the time. See here

Like you, I am itching to get my hands on the A12 mount.

Godfrey

You should be able to use a T-mount adapter by using that in conjunction with one of the SLR lens adapters to M-bayonet. I don't know of anyone making T-mount to Leica M mount, but they're quite easy to find for Nikon and Pentax.

Rayqual and Novoflex both make high quality SLR to M-bayonet adapters, and there are others you can find via Ebay. I bought Nikon and Pentax M42 to M-bayonet adapters from rugift.com ... they seem a little cheap, but should be serviceable. If not, I'll probably order the Rayqual adapters from Japan Exposures:
http://www.japanexposures.com/2010/03/29/rayqual-slr-lens-to-leica-rangefinder-adapter/