The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - M Lens camera unit almost there ...

ustein

Contributing Editor
David,

1. Peeking is on a F key
2. Magnification works as you wrote. Would just like a faster way to cancel it out but should get used to it.

Godfrey

>and $75 for the adapter

What adapter did you buy?
I ordered the one from rugift.com:
http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/nikon-leica-m-adapter.htm

I know they ship from Russia ... takes a while to get here, from past experience.

Depending on what I see from the quality, I might order a Rayqual a little later (I have two Nikkor lenses to use, it's more convenient to have one adapter for each lens). The Rayqual has a neat feature: on a Leica M body, it sets the rangefinder to indicate a 3m focus distance. With that you can use the rangefinder to determine where 3m is and then estimate the proper distance setting for your subject by scale. Of course, this is irrelevant for a GXR-M ... but I have an M4-2 body coming too. ;-)

Godfrey

I've got fotodiox adapters for Nikon and Pentax K to FourThirds. They're generally ok, sometimes their tolerances aren't so great. One of my Nikon->FT adapters and the PentaxK->FT allows the lens to move a bit off the optical axis, the other Nikon->FT is snug and accurate.

Another thing to watch for in adapters is accurate mount registration for scale focusing accuracy, particularly important for Leica M film bodies. Doesn't make too much difference if the lens can focus a hair beyond infinity on a TTL camera, but on a film RF camera you won't know where to set the focusing if the scale isn't accurate.

Braeside

David,

1. Peeking is on a F key
2. Magnification works as you wrote. Would just like a faster way to cancel it out but should get used to it.

Understand Uwe, thanks. Haven't had the chance to try the M module yet, but have one on pre-order.

Uwe, have you checked the firmware version of the body and the camera module? Just interested what they are.

To see it, with the camera OFF:

While pressing the [–] button , hold down the (Playback) button for over 1 second.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
From another site, maybe this helps.

【Focus Assist and Enlarge All】
To make my point clear, let me emphasize that Focus Assist (Mode1and 2) and Enlarge All functions are carefully designed to blend naturally into the process of shooting real world photography.
e.g. When Enlarge All is assigned to a Fn key, you can quickly magnify the view with your thumb and focus with your left hand. Then, half-pressing the shutter button tentatively cancels the magnified view, letting you recompose the frame and shoot. If you release your index finger at this point, you can again obtain the magnified view for refocusing.
In short, you can easily switch from magnified view (and/or FA Mode 1 or 2) to the full composition or vise versa just by a tiny movement of the tip of your index finger, while eliminating the need to re-hold the camera body.
Also, when you move the target in Enlarge All, the camera memorizes the coordinates of the target in case you lift your finger after half-pressing the shutter. This is highly usable in shooting portrait and scenery alike.
David

Can I ask where is that site?

Keith

Owen_Coors

Beautiful iso3200 shot!!! I'm so glad to read of possibility of good MF-assist UI. Please, keep the info coming, Uwe.

Owen

ustein

Contributing Editor
>to read of possibility of good MF-assist UI

Not sure I would say that. But once I get the EVF we will see. I would like a zoom preview which I just can switch fast (F2) on and off.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe, why would the EVF be any better than the LCD for focus confirmation?
1. The EVF has a diopter
2. I can closer inspect
3. Also I hate shooting with the LCD as it is in a very bad holding position.

The Panasonic G3 work fine with manual focus for me.

Braeside

Thanks Uwe,

Having the EVF here, I haven't found it much easier to focus manually with it that is why I asked.

It isn't super high resolution, just the same as the LCD.

The adjustable diopter is useful especially for glasses wearers like myself. The eye relief is excellent.

It helps in bright sunshine a lot.

I agree about the more natural shooting position with the EVF and it helps steady the camera.

Thanks again for posting the high ISO DNG, that is most encouraging.

Braeside

Uwe, How about this for easy zoom in on LCD?

From Menu > Key Custom Options >Set Fn2 Button>Enlrg Display.

Now you can toggle zoom on/off with just Fn2 button.

Don't know if the new firmware allows full screen magnify assignment to a Fn button like this?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe, How about this for easy zoom in on LCD?

From Menu > Key Custom Options >Set Fn2 Button>Enlrg Display.

Now you can toggle zoom on/off with just Fn2 button.

Don't know if the new firmware allows full screen magnify assignment to a Fn button like this?
You made my day. Thats it!

Godfrey

Having the EVF here, I haven't found it much easier to focus manually with it that is why I asked. ...
I have the EVF too. I find it easier to achieve critical focus with it compared to the LCD too ... It's a matter of eye position, I think.

Ricoh's implementation of the focus assist magnification on the A12 autofocus modules isn't as good as what I see in the DPR review of the full-screen magnification for the A12 Camera Mount ... I think the EVF will be come much easier to use than the LCD for a lot of my needs and (of course) provides the eye-level viewfinder that Uwe and many of my photographs call for.

I do hope the roll the full-screen magnification and focus peaking edge highlight tools into the firmware for the autofocus modules too. I think then manual focus with them will improve quite a bit.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Kind of interesting. The images are really sharp if I nailed the focus. But slightly off it feels like using an AA filter :) and we can still get decent images.

Image below was not perfectly focused (50mm):