The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - M Lens camera unit almost there ...

Godfrey

Nice! Now I'm even more excited. I went through the slideshow too ... :)

What lenses were used for these?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
It's a fine idea, Uwe. I think I have been using the P10 almost exclusively on my GXR this past year even though I have the A12 50. The P10 fits the kind of stuff that I've been doing.

Now I've got the A12 28 as well, the P10 is almost taking a back seat. But, in a few weeks I get the M-mount, then what will I do? The GXR sure keeps you busy - but that's good :)

Keith

ustein

Contributing Editor
It's a fine idea, Uwe. I think I have been using the P10 almost exclusively on my GXR this past year even though I have the A12 50. The P10 fits the kind of stuff that I've been doing.

Now I've got the A12 28 as well, the P10 is almost taking a back seat. But, in a few weeks I get the M-mount, then what will I do? The GXR sure keeps you busy - but that's good :)

Keith
How is the P10 AF. Had some issues with the S10 module in low contrast.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I don't care about the color profiles in the DNG files but my own Colorchecker Passport profile is quite ok for my taste:

The colors are intentionally strong.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I start to like the M-Module because:

- You select the lens and there are many good ones possible
- No AA filter is great
- Compact

Open issues:

- If you want real WA or even UWA this will be a problem, not for me though

Now waiting for the EVF to start really using this interesting camera.

Godfrey

I start to like the M-Module because:

- You select the lens and there are many good ones possible
- No AA filter is great
- Compact

Open issues:

- If you want real WA or even UWA this will be a problem, not for me though

Now waiting for the EVF to start really using this interesting camera.
I'm not sure that wide angle is all that much a problem for me. The A12 28mm camera unit is an 18mm focal length and that's plenty wide for my uses. I've got a Skopar 21mm coming ... that was always one of my favorite focal lengths on this format with Pentax gear ... and if I want very very wide, I'll buy the CV 12mm f/5.6. That's about as wide as I've ever found particularly useful.

The GXR and a set of camera units is more like having a collection of different compact cameras, not a body with interchangeable lenses. Each camera unit creates a camera with its own character. The A12 Camera Mount opens the system up to a lot of different capabilities.

Braeside

You made my day. Thats it!

Great stuff Uwe. I was pretty sure that Ricoh wouldn't have made it too difficult to do this because from what I have seen so far they have put a lot of features in the GRX firmware that make the camera a "photographer's camera".

Following all this with interest and can't wait to get my hands on the A12 mount.

Godfrey

Uwe, this video shows how to set up the GXR A12 Camera Mount focus assist and magnification. I think you have it sussed out by now ... but it's good to see where on the menus the options live for others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc_Y4KcBYpM

The presenter isn't speaking English, but the video is instructive for me nonetheless.

Godfrey

Another GXR+A12 Camera Mount review, this one with full size images.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20110829_473694.html

It's in Japanese, but http://translate.google.com does a fairly understandable job of translating it.

I found this little bit at the end encouraging too:

"... Let us finally touch the shutter sound. GXR MOUNT A12 focal plane shutter of the cotton and it sounds neat. Existing equipment has a large mirror-less shutter sound for one's body size, there are many scenes in the city feel intimidated in a snap. GXR MOUNT A12 shutter sound is gentle on the ears that point, easy to use as a snap shooter."
Rubberized cloth focal plane shutter? Should be quieter in operation than NEX and Micro-FourThirds metal shutters.

Owen_Coors

Not wanting to divert attention from Uwe's work, but here is a Japanese "report" of the M-module and a handful of various lenses. I use Google Translate, for translation: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20110829_473694.html

:sleep006:Godfrey, Sorry I didn't see that you already posted link to this. Amazing images showing sharpness completely across frame with wide-RF lenses. I truly doubt that Sony's Nex-7 will give like performance with wide-RF lenses.

Last edited:

Godfrey

...Sorry I didn't see that you already posted link to this. Amazing images showing sharpness completely across frame with wide-RF lenses. I truly doubt that Sony's Nex-7 will give like performance with wide-RF lenses.
I think the big difference between the Ricoh GXR + A12 Camera Mount and all of the Micro-FourThirds, NEX and NX cameras that can work with adapted RF camera lenses is that the Ricoh solution is actually an optimized, dedicated camera for these lenses. The others are usable only insofar as they have a short mount register and the lenses can be fitted ... but they are optimized for their own lens lines, not for lens adaptation.

There is much subtlety in these things. The real question that I'm curious about is: did Ricoh do a better job of it than Leica themselves? Of course, they're using a smaller sensor which makes it a little easier to do, but that, to me, is an interesting question.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>did Ricoh do a better job of it than Leica themselves?

This is a very dangerous question :) and has many levels.

1. Sensor (I leave this to others who have stronger opinions). But the Sony snsors are not bad.

2. FF or not FF (the main issue it changes the field of view and meaning of the lenses)

3. Image quality

4. Value for the money (here the GXR stands very well :) )

5. Handling as a digital camera. Here the slowness of the Leicas drives me nuts and the GXR is nice to use(this is of course only me)

Godfrey

>did Ricoh do a better job of it than Leica themselves?

This is a very dangerous question :) and has many levels.

1. Sensor (I leave this to others who have stronger opinions). But the Sony snsors are not bad.

2. FF or not FF (the main issue it changes the field of view and meaning of the lenses)

3. Image quality

4. Value for the money (here the GXR stands very well :) )

5. Handling as a digital camera. Here the slowness of the Leicas drives me nuts and the GXR is nice to use(this is of course only me)
I agree that it is a "dangerous" (I'd rather say "complex") question with many nuances to it. Certainly Leica went for a larger sensor in the M9 to preserve the original field of view they designed the lenses for, but that doesn't matter much to me since I don't think of a focal length as determining a field of view .. it is the coupling of focal length and format that create a field of view, and I'm just as happy to call 35mm my normal as 50mm. In some ways, I prefer a smaller format as you get more DoF with a larger lens opening, netting more capability in low light (for my shooting).

For me the question of "who did it better?" in the context that I was speaking to is a narrower question, not concerned so much with format size and camera handling or price. It has to do with which optimization of sensor and existing lenses exploits the lens resolution and imaging qualities best. Minimizing color shifts, corner and edge smearing, light falloff and edge-effect artifacts is what I was thinking of, not the total camera package.

Of course, evaluating the total camera package, the other factors all have to weigh in too. I'm not going to get involved in that judgement until I also have a Leica M9 to work with. That'll be next year sometime, I hope. ;-)

scho

Sean Reid has just published the first installment of his rolling review of the A12 mount unit for GXR.