The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - M Lens camera unit almost there ...

Godfrey

Perhaps I'll subscribe and read Sean Reid's work after I finish writing my initial impressions. I have about a third of it written now, should have more time to work on it this afternoon.

I always hesitate to pay for subscribtions to sites like his, however. The value I get from reading other people's reviews is usually very very limited.

Braeside

Old curmudgeon here - I did subscribe to Sean Reid for 1 year when I first got my M8, I didn't renew because I hated the way his reviews were in Adobe Flash. No way to use them on a device that does not have flash and not a pleasant experience when it did have flash. The content was fine. If he produced eBooks or PDFs then I might consider buying them, but for me the flash subscription model doesn't work.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I agree, Sean's flash presentation is a real pain. I subscribe because I enjoy his views on photography mixed within his reviews. He has a few pet peeves which he harps on about, but overal calls a spade a spade. His stuff is also extremely thorough.

He likes the M-A12, as he calls it, and is reviewing it with a lot of references to the Leica M8/9, so has already placed somewhere in that league. I think he likes the IQ better than the Leica X1. He has a lot more detailed testing to do.

Keith

Godfrey

There is an interesting comment over in the Ricoh forums about the improvement in macro focusing using 1.4

http://www.ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6901&sid=babec6b597f919cd7e5d75813a501c09

Keith
I've found the same. September 9 is coming right up!

While the Loupe mode is useful for some things, the full screen magnification set to a toggle on FN1 and the focus assist (either mode 1 or mode 2, depending on scene dynamics) set to a toggle on FN2 will be an awesome working configuration with the A12 Camera Mount. They're a little less awesome for manual focus with the A12 AF camera units simply because the servo lag on these camera units really does get in the way when you're trying to be precise and quick.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>A12 AF camera units simply because the servo lag on these camera units really does get in the way when you're trying to be precise and quick.

Standard lenses feel really way more precise in focussing. Focus by wire is no pleasure to use.

Godfrey

Standard lenses feel really way more precise in focussing. Focus by wire is no pleasure to use.
In this case, for sure. But I don't disparage "focus by wire" in general ... so much is dependent on the implementation. Better lenses, like the Olympus ZD high-grade and super-high-grade lenses, have an excellent feel and much higher precision servos than the A12 AF camera units. They provide comparable focusing quality and precision to high end manual helicoids.

The Ricoh GXR isn't at that level of sophistication, that's all. The AF camera units are meant to be used with the AF system most of the time and they do a very good job of it when used that way. For occasional manual focus tweaking on a complex subject and for macro work with the camera locked onto a tripod, they work well enough most of the time.

But I'll be happier with the manual focus lenses once the Camera Mount is in my hands. I'm not much of an AF guy ... :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I'm not much of an AF guy ... :)

I am getting converted because MF on classic DSLRs is a pain so I did not use it much. With EVF and focus magnification I like MF a lot as you are more in control.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Some GXR M-Mount updates:

1. Got the EVF
2. Got a Nikon to M-Mount adapter

3. M-Mount and Raw converters

The sensor without AA filter can record very fine details. This will challenge some RCs (e.g Lightroom and C1) on some images as they may create some de-bayering artifacts. RAW Developrt 1.9.2 now also supports the M-Mount module. Best you check it out.

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper_download.html

scho

Some GXR M-Mount updates:

1. Got the EVF
2. Got a Nikon to M-Mount adapter

3. M-Mount and Raw converters

The sensor without AA filter can record very fine details. This will challenge some RCs (e.g Lightroom and C1) on some images as they may create some de-bayering artifacts. RAW Developrt 1.9.2 now also supports the M-Mount module. Best you check it out.

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper_download.html
Uwe,

Thanks for the tip about RD. I haven't used it in awhile, but given the support for both new Ricoh and NEX RAW files I will update and give it a try.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Now with the EVF using the A12-M is much more fun.

Here are some shots with Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 (own it since about 1974)

Maybe closer to buy it.

Braeside

Uwe, I love the rendering of the Welding shop series! - Good to know you that you are thinking about getting a GXR Kit. Can't wait for mine to arrive, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Good to know you that you are thinking about getting a GXR Kit.

I think the images are slightly better than with the same lenses on the Panasonic G3. But not sure it justifies to get crazy.

Same Nikkor lens on the G3: