The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E420 Blackened White

clay stewart

I've had this camera now for a couple of months and really like it for not only the size, but it actually has very nice image quality in my opinion. I mostly use the 25 pancake.

Last edited:

clay stewart

As much as I'm enjoying the size and image quality of the 420/pancake, I find myself excitedly checking the internet, often, (too often) for news of a micro 4/3 camera. I think the idea of a GRD sized camera or a bit larger, with a 4/3 sensor and interchangeable lenses, is just what the doctor ordered for me. I sure hope they have 14 mm prime for it.:)

Brian Mosley

Hi Clay,

I particularly like your first shot, above...

I have the Sigma DP1 to keep me going on the ultra small / prime lens front, but I can't seem to shake the thrill of using Olympus ZD lenses! here's a shot I took this week on holiday in Norfolk, with the E-3 + 7-14mm... not exactly compact, but not hideously large or heavy either (considering the alternatives)

And another B&W conversion, this time with the addictively flexible Leica 14-150mm fitted to the E-3 (the Leica isn't weather sealed - so I was under shelter)

I really prefer LightZone for my B&W conversions... very powerful indeed.

Kind Regards

Brian

clay stewart

Hi, Brian, nice shot of the lady in the rain.

I haven't tried Light zone, but may have to give it a try one of these days. I pretty much do everything in ACR and have for the past few years. It would be nice if the next version lent itself to better conversions, somehow.

I like the idea of a weather sealed camera and lens, as well, so I got the 11-22, to try. I like the lens and I'm sure it would be great on an E3, as a weather proof combo, but it rarely gets any use now on the 420, because of the size and weight. I may end up selling it. With the promise of even smaller 4/3 stuff on the horizon, it's hard for me to get excited about larger things.:)

Brian Mosley

Thanks Clay, the 11-22 works great on the E-3...

An hour or so before I took the shot above, my E-3 + 11-22 rolled off my quick release tripod into a river! I fished it out, dried it off with my t-shirt and carried on... yes, weathersealing on Oly kit rocks! lol

And thanks Jorgen, it's great to shoot in a rainstorm!

Kind Regards

Brian

clay stewart

Thanks, Terry and Helen.

Wow, Brian, That looks like a HDR image-pretty cool and great capture of the kids.
I wish Oly would make a weather proof 400 series, because as much as I like the features of the larger cameras, I always seem to migrate to the smaller ones, then I wonder why I have so much money wrapped up in stuff I'm not using. This is about the third round on that deal and I'm trying to keep it in mind, so I don't have a E3 or D700 laying around collecting dust.:)

Lili

Brian, terrific shots all of them.
The rain ones are my favs.
Lot to be said for weatherproofing :)

Lili

Clay, your B&W images both rock.
Have really been tempted by the 420/25mm package, your work shows the combination performs superbly in the right hands :)

clay stewart

Thanks Lili. I don't think you can go wrong with that combo. Even before there was Raw support and I was shooting Jpeg, I was impressed by the out of camera Jpegs. The lens is a gem as well.

Brian Mosley

Hi Clay,

if you're using a PC, Qimage Studio is well worth a look... the RAW converter is excellent - I used Qimage to convert this shot to TIFF, and then finished the B&W conversion in LightZone.

E-400 + 14-35mm f2
1/150s, f2 at ISO100

Kind Regards

Brian