The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR A12 Camera Mount - Between Tick and Tock

Godfrey

I received a notification from Popflash.com that their first shipment of A12 Camera Mount units is due in on Friday, and they expect to have time to ship out the pre-orders same day. That means I'm likely to receive mine on Monday or Tuesday...

I started this thread so that others who are receiving theirs can clock in as they arrive. :)

"... Anticipation
Anticipa_aa_tion
It's making me late
It's making me cra_a_azy ..."

Godfrey

Woo hoo! Product arrivals! :)

I am Waiting ... !

Far as I can tell from the USPS Priority tracking, mine shipped yesterday. It could show up today, Monday or Tuesday...

Godfrey

USPS tracking just updated ... It was processed through the Santa Clarita facility last evening at 11:05. That's five-six hours by truck from Santa Clara ... It could be loaded on the truck and out for delivery even now. :)

Braeside

Godfrey, I should have also said that I hope the other folks will get theirs soon as well!

The sun just came out this afternoon so took a few garden shots with the 35mm Color Skopar. Superb!

I find the focus very easy to achieve. Have spent a bit of time while it was raining, just setting up the lens names/focal lengths etc in the settings.

Have checked all 6 of my M mount lenses and they all appear to fit and work well.
I will share them between my M8 and the A12-M. Have to remember to remove the IR filter though.

Still a lot to learn and test, but this is a keeper for sure.

May post a couple of photos later.

The serial number of the unit ends in 030, so I suspect not too many made yet.

Once again, hope your unit arrives very soon.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Godfrey, I should have also said that I hope the other folks will get theirs soon as well!

The sun just came out this afternoon so took a few garden shots with the 35mm Color Skopar. Superb!

. . . . May post a couple of photos later.

The serial number of the unit ends in 030, so I suspect not too many made yet.

Once again, hope your unit arrives very soon.
David, if you post now, your's will be the first m-mount image on the thread (technically Uwe is a reviewer :D). However we have to watch we don't send Godfrey into some kind of panic shock :deadhorse:

Keith

Braeside

David, if you post now, your's will be the first m-mount image on the thread (technically Uwe is a reviewer :D). However we have to watch we don't send Godfrey into some kind of panic shock :deadhorse:

Keith

OK you twisted my arm Keith. ;)

A couple with the 35mm Classic Skopar wide open.
Darkened and vignetted a bit in post.

Don't you think the colours are fantastic?

Godfrey

David, if you post now, your's will be the first m-mount image on the thread. However we have to watch we don't send Godfrey into some kind of panic shock ...
LOL ... I don't think that way. I'm not competing to be the first ... !

Postman didn't have it today, so it will be Monday. Of course, I'll likely miss him Monday morning ... It's a signature package, so if he remembers I told him to initial the package and put it in the lockbox. Otherwise, I'll nip it from package pickup on Tuesday morning.

Nice pix, David! The GXR does make some very nice colors, even in camera. Were these raw captures or JPEG?

Braeside

Hello Godfrey, they were processed from raw in Aperture. Colours pretty close to what the JPG looked like.

I just zoomed in at 100% and the lens/sensor resolves a tiny cobweb strand in the in focus part of the picture. In another photo taken with the same lens some strands of hair show a touch of moiré.

I haven't done any direct comparisons between the A12-M and the M8 yet, but I think it compares very favourably, and at high ISO is much better.

Godfrey

Hello Godfrey, they were processed from raw in Aperture. Colours pretty close to what the JPG looked like.

I just zoomed in at 100% and the lens/sensor resolves a tiny cobweb strand in the in focus part of the picture. In another photo taken with the same lens some strands of hair show a touch of moiré.

I haven't done any direct comparisons between the A12-M and the M8 yet, but I think it compares very favourably, and at high ISO is much better.
Nice!

I couldn't find any moire or artifacting on most of the quickie test exposures I did with Uwe's eval unit, but I found some artifacts on just one image when I looked at it at 2x to 4x magnification in a small section of shadow and curved edge combination. Whether moire or whatever, I'm not sure.

I downloaded and donated to RPP as well. With Aperture, Lightroom and RPP, I can try three different raw processors now to see which does the best on these sorts of problem images. I expect they're only rarely an issue. RPP has a Lightroom export plugin too, so it can be used with minimal change to my usual image processing workflow.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Postman didn't have it today, so it will be Monday.

So Monday we wait both, I for the 5N. I want to check whether it can replace the M-Module with manual lenses.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
They are nice colors David, partially helped along by the Scopar I think. I took a look at my images from that lens and it has a personality of rich colors (taken on the Epson RD-1)

I love the detail on the front flower pot

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
>Postman didn't have it today, so it will be Monday.

So Monday we wait both, I for the 5N. I want to check whether it can replace the M-Module with manual lenses.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the Sony, Uwe. My C3 works well with my rangefinder lenses. But I wouldn't trade the useabiliy and interface of the Ricoh for it. My guess is that you may have to be a pixel peeper to see too much difference (not sure though :toocool:)

Keith

ustein

Contributing Editor
>But I wouldn't trade the useabiliy and interface of the Ricoh for it.

The key is the new EVF.