The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Possible Panasonic m4/3 (?)

Ben Rubinstein

Do the ergonomics on the grip look a bit weak to you? Seems to be more for p&s sized holding than something bigger, here's to hoping! Thats a beautiful looking camera and with that tiny zoom and pancakes - wow!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well somebody is going to build something that resembles the M8 We will just have to see who and what comes but it is a popular look what we are seeing here. If it is small and can take different lenses than it maybe a huge seller. There is a BIG market for a M8 kind of camera with a lot lower cost. Will not be true RF but I still think a big seller. There are some nice 4/3rd lenses out there.

Joan

Very nice but can't be real. A 21mm pancake with optical image stabilization? An f/2.4 Summilux? I can't make out all the meaning via Google translate, but it's pretty clear that the guy who posted these is saying the CGI on Photoscala and DPNet is not real.
Yep, definitely someone's overactive imagination, especially with the Summilux, rats.
I like the look of that EVF mock-up though, very sweet. If the real thing comes close to this, I'll be delighted.

Ben Rubinstein

Wasn't the image quality of the M8 one of it's biggest sellers, the chip, the lack of AA filter, the Leica M lenses? I wonder how many would buy a 4/3rds INSTEAD of an M8 as opposed to as a backup or a smaller pocket solution?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ben you put half the price in there and some good lenses and you will be surprised. The M8 has great image quality no question but the cost of entry is not cheap and most hobbyist will look at there bank account first. can't blame them there not making money from this and even the D700 and a couple lenses will be far less than a M8. I love the M8 but for many folks (not necessarily our forum members per say ) do look at cost. As a Pro it is secondary if not a thought at all for some, we need it we buy it. Many hobbyist do not look at it like that. There driven by some magically pixel count and money. I have been on too many forums not see folks buying ONLY by the MPX of a camera. Scary

Terry

Don't forget 21 = 42 mm but I put this firmly in the fake category as it clearly says Summilux and 1:2.4 which are not compatible and I'm sure Leica wouldn't allow an f2.4 lens to be named a lux.

Robert Campbell

Don't forget 21 = 42 mm but I put this firmly in the fake category as it clearly says Summilux and 1:2.4 which are not compatible and I'm sure Leica wouldn't allow an f2.4 lens to be named a lux.
The blog owner says that they are dreams of one of his members. Pity...

Terry

Well we all got to discuss what we like and don't like and what looks like it would work or not. So perhaps all discussions on the net will be picked up the R&D groups at Panny and Oly and good can come of this.

jonoslack

Well we all got to discuss what we like and don't like and what looks like it would work or not. So perhaps all discussions on the net will be picked up the R&D groups at Panny and Oly and good can come of this.
Hi Terry
Nice idea . . . . but as I understand it, the thing is probably piling up in warehouses in the far east ready to be shipped!

jonoslack

Wasn't the image quality of the M8 one of it's biggest sellers, the chip, the lack of AA filter, the Leica M lenses? I wonder how many would buy a 4/3rds INSTEAD of an M8 as opposed to as a backup or a smaller pocket solution?
Hi Ben
You're right about the M8 of course.
However, 4/3 has got a lot going for it - the existing lenses are just great - you don't have to think; you can shoot at any focal length from wide open to full telephoto, and you'll still get sharp images without vignetting or soft corners. Sure, you don't get the 'wow' factor of an M8 file . . . but you don't get some of the other stuff either.

In most cases we make compromises, and 4/3 offers a lot of 'good' for the current 'bad' of poor high ISO.

Mind you, whether m4/3 will be the same, is a different issue, but I suspect it will - the short flange distance making it even easier to design great small lenses.

clay stewart

I like it and want one or two. It's like a GRD on steroids, with interchangeable lenses. I don't even care about a VF, since I got pretty used to composing on the LCD with the GX100/GRD2. I just hope it focuses as fast or faster than a Ricoh. Good find Joan.:)

Joan

... Good find Joan.:)
Can't take credit, earlier today Terry pointed me to a thread on DPR that started me looking, and suggested I post that first link here. After that I just Googled to see where the original came from and stumbled on the other pictures.

Jono, I hope you're right about SOMETHING being ready to ship right after Photokina. My curiosity is killing me. :D

Robert Campbell

They could start by offering the designer a job: are you listening Mr Olypana?

etrigan63

I posted an analysis as well. The images are CGi for sure, but they model all of the features mentioned in the Micro Four Thirds announcement. I hope they use the newer sensors from the latest Oly SLRs. That would give this unit some imaging clout. The 21mm lens should translate to 42mm if the Four Thirds crop factor is still in effect here. I hope Leica buys into this for their rumored "compact" digital rangefinder. If Nikon doesn't produce their rumored digital rangefinder, I may sell my M8 kit and get this as a backup to my D300. For that matter, toss in the D300 in the process and get a D700 and this as a backup.

I wonder if zooms will be offered as well?

Ben Rubinstein

Damn, Damn, Damn! I thought that little zoom looked great! I shoot street with a 5D and 50mm relying on the huge amount of resolution to save me the size of a zoom should I need to crop. This camera would have given me sufficient resolution with the zoom. Heck you don't need a huge amount for street, it's more the image which counts.

This image was shot with my 5D and 50mm, it's a 5 megapixel image after the crop but the kids are sharp and it good for an 18X12". If I could have zoomed and got similar image quality (given the smaller chip and noise, etc) then I would have been very happy for the size of that thing!

jonoslack

I posted an analysis as well. The images are CGi for sure, but they model all of the features mentioned in the Micro Four Thirds announcement. I hope they use the newer sensors from the latest Oly SLRs. That would give this unit some imaging clout. The 21mm lens should translate to 42mm if the Four Thirds crop factor is still in effect here. I hope Leica buys into this for their rumored "compact" digital rangefinder. If Nikon doesn't produce their rumored digital rangefinder, I may sell my M8 kit and get this as a backup to my D300. For that matter, toss in the D300 in the process and get a D700 and this as a backup.

I wonder if zooms will be offered as well?
HI Carlos
I hope they have a new generation of sensor a bit better than those in the latest SLR's - with a bit better low noise characteristic and a lighter AA filter.

21mm WILL be 42mm, there's no change with mFT for the conversion ratio. A little worrying if the lens is showing IS, as the Olympus cameras have it in the body, which would be the best bet here as well (if you are going to use the existing 4/3 telephotos).

No question there will be zooms - whether there will be primes is a bigger question - Olympus have not been very forthcoming with prime lenses, and Panasonic even less so.

I'd expect the first camera to be fairly consumer grade, with a couple of cheap zoom lenses - maybe something equivalent to the current 'kit' lenses:
14-42 and 40-150 (i.e. 28-84 and 80-300) but of very diminutive proportions.

I'd also expect a 'superzoom' very shortly - something equivalent to 28-300 (it's clearly what's selling the 'bridge' cameras, why should this be different).