The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Possible Panasonic m4/3 (?)

jonoslack

:ROTFL:
I quite agree - having said that, the current cheap plastic Olympus zooms are . . . . . really good! the 70-300 (140-600) is some kind of miracle plastic.

Whatever
I think there's hope for high quality bodies and tiny prime lenses - but I'm almost certain that in the first place they're going to be approaching the 93% market which currently buys compacts and bridge cameras, not the 7% which buys dSLR's. Why wouldn't they?

I would have thought that it would be a really obvious step for Leica to be involved, m mount adaptors are possible, and you could certainly build it around some kind of a rangefinder - very exciting . . . . but, from what I hear they are having nothing to do with it :(

So, expect a plastic fantastic to start with (or, at best, something with the build quality of the Panasonic LX-3).

Ben Rubinstein

Oh, I had no doubt that they would sell to the bridge crowd and from a marketing point of view it makes sense. It was a personal 'Yeuch'. :D

Thing is that as Oly and Panasonic have announced this together can we at least hope for more than one camera body to start off with?

jonoslack

Oh, I had no doubt that they would sell to the bridge crowd and from a marketing point of view it makes sense. It was a personal 'Yeuch'. :D

Thing is that as Oly and Panasonic have announced this together can we at least hope for more than one camera body to start off with?
Let's hope so.
Something build like the E1, with weatherseals, silent, manual controls would be soooo sweet.

I think there IS hope - Panasonic also understand about the wants of serious photographers - the LX series testify to this.

Leica would be the other option for a dream body - but I think we may be out of luck there.

Terry

:ROTFL:
I quite agree - having said that, the current cheap plastic Olympus zooms are . . . . . really good! the 70-300 (140-600) is some kind of miracle plastic.

Whatever
I think there's hope for high quality bodies and tiny prime lenses - but I'm almost certain that in the first place they're going to be approaching the 93% market which currently buys compacts and bridge cameras, not the 7% which buys dSLR's. Why wouldn't they?

I would have thought that it would be a really obvious step for Leica to be involved, m mount adaptors are possible, and you could certainly build it around some kind of a rangefinder - very exciting . . . . but, from what I hear they are having nothing to do with it :(

So, expect a plastic fantastic to start with (or, at best, something with the build quality of the Panasonic LX-3).
Dr. Kauffman said he was sticking with Kodak sensors. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

jonoslack

Dr. Kauffman said he was sticking with Kodak sensors. Perhaps that has something to do with it.
Well, if he's doing that, then he can kiss goodbye to the D-Lux4 then, as it has a panasonic sensor.

I'm afraid the rumours are right, but it's so sad, it seems to me that you could build a camera with a proper optical viewfinder with accurate electronic framelines for the lenses (even zooms), spots for point of focus - it could all be sooooo fab.

etrigan63

There's always hope for the rumored Nikon DRF. Latest rumors have it M-mount, 6-7Mpx FF with Optical VF. I can buy into the 6-7Mpx FF as it would be easier to make microlenses for it (not-so-micro microlenses) but M-mount and optical VF would preclude a lot of the technical wizardry that goes behind the scenes in a Nikon camera. Unless the rumored DRF is an homage system to the classic Nikon S rangefinders, but that would truly relegate it to the RF crowd (a vocal, passionate, but ultimately tiny subset of the buying public).

jonoslack

There's always hope for the rumored Nikon DRF. Latest rumors have it M-mount, 6-7Mpx FF with Optical VF. I can buy into the 6-7Mpx FF as it would be easier to make microlenses for it (not-so-micro microlenses) but M-mount and optical VF would preclude a lot of the technical wizardry that goes behind the scenes in a Nikon camera. Unless the rumored DRF is an homage system to the classic Nikon S rangefinders, but that would truly relegate it to the RF crowd (a vocal, passionate, but ultimately tiny subset of the buying public).
I'll believe it when I see it - Nikon making cameras for other people to sell lenses doesn't sound very likely :eek:. . . and 6-7mp isn't going to set the world on fire (mind you, I guess it would have fantastic low light characteristics).

etrigan63

I'll believe it when I see it - Nikon making cameras for other people to sell lenses doesn't sound very likely :eek:. . . and 6-7mp isn't going to set the world on fire (mind you, I guess it would have fantastic low light characteristics).
OK, so in other words, you agree with me. I can't see Nikon doing this and not making the lenses. Besides, M-lenses = no electronics or autofocus, and that would narrow the target audience too much for Nikon's tastes. IMHO, Nikon would have to be planning a response to any credible threat from the μ4/3 camp and be aiming at the same demographic and maybe beyond.

cjlacz

Looking at the pictures it makes me wish Ricoh would make one, or at least design the interface. I'd still buy one, but I think they'd be harder to use then the GRD or GXx00.