The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma/Foveon picture thread...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Quentin,

Yes as with you it answers a lot if not all of my desires for a small camera...IQ that is wonderful, focus by wire which is what the Fuji's promised but did not deliver with regards to responsiveness, decent screen and very direct menus...especially the quick menu. And the 3D aspect to the captures....very appealing.

Was wondering which saturation and sharpness settings you find acceptable...and do use the defalt noise redux...

I have gone to lowest luminance and 2nd from the left (low 2?) for chrominance reduction as there seems no way to default to off...the auto seemed very variable so start with raw....

Do you use neutral or regular saturation in SPP?

Forgive all the q?s but there is not a lot of available experience with SPP...although I used it with my DP1 I would like to see what LR4 will do with the files.....I am pleased overall with it but what a slow process...really not tailored for doing a lot of files.

I do love the pictures you have posted! Which is why I was wondering about your workflow....

I have continued to post here so as to not step on your thread....

Best regards,

Bob

Quentin_Bargate

Hi there Bob

I use "neutral" as my default mode. I may add back some small amount additional saturation in Photoshop, but I actively dislike the standard mode. In Sigma Photo Pro I tend to turn sharpening down to -1 (whch means it is still being sharpened of course) and NR down to the second lowest level, so there is a touch of both. However, for one shot I found a higher NR setting killed some noise that was irritating me.

I am quite excited about an experiment I have been conducting in uprezzing - more on that in due course!

Feel free, of course, to stomp all over "my" thread. :) I'm still learning the camera.

Happy shooting!
Quentin

docmoore

Just wanted to thank you all who have posted ...."likes" to the pictures...this is a fairly dead thread and I have avoided Quentin's posts as he has a fairly active following and discussion.

Much appreciated....

Regards,

Bob

docmoore

Quentin,

This makes me question my need for a M Monochrome...

It really does seem that good...

Now where is that DP1 Merrill?!

Bob

Pingang

Kyra lingerie, 2012 on Camilia Vieira
shot last week with Sigma SD-1 Merrill + EX 50/1.4 DG HSM, f/3.2, 1/40s, using 3K Arri Fresnel

BR,
Pingang