The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR Viewfinder (EVF)

bcf

A question for GXR users… How do you feel about the EVF? I have briefly tested one in a shop, and while inside the shop it was OK, outside it could not cope with the high luminosity and the high contrast of the scene, giving a washed out look which made it very difficult to work with it.

Godfrey, I understand you like the GXR very much, do you use the EVF or do you prefer optical viewfinders? Do you find the EVF usable*? For me at least, using the LCD is (most of the time) unthinkable, so I am very interested in users' opinions on the EVF or on various OVFs.

Thanks!

sinwen

Salut Bernard

It seems that you can set luminosity and contrast for each lens, therefore, once set, you shouldn't have this problem.
This is the answer I got from Ricoh but I would like someone to confirm it.

Michel
(ajaccio)

Godfrey

A question for GXR users… How do you feel about the EVF? I have briefly tested one in a shop, and while inside the shop it was OK, outside it could not cope with the high luminosity and the high contrast of the scene, giving a washed out look which made it very difficult to work with it.

Godfrey, I understand you like the GXR very much, do you use the EVF or do you prefer optical viewfinders? Do you find the EVF usable*? For me at least, using the LCD is (most of the time) unthinkable, so I am very interested in users' opinions on the EVF or on various OVFs.

Thanks!
Comparing the Ricoh VF-2 EVF to the Olympus VF-2 and Panasonic G1 EVF, they're all much of a sameness to my eye. The Panasonic and Olympus have a little more effective magnification, all three have enough magnification to be useful for focusing with different focal length lenses, and currently the Ricoh GXR has the more useful focusing aids.

EVFs have their own dynamic range constraints but it's important to remember that it is NOT the final image you are looking at, it is a framing and focusing device, and an information display.

I use all three devices for focusing and framing, depending on the context of my use ... OVF, LCD, EVF. I tend to like using OVFs with the A12 AF camera units where I can set Spot AF and use Full Press Snap mode to make handling the camera fluid and quick. I use the EVF more often with the A12-M camera unit and manual focus lenses, when I need precise framing and focusing at eye level; it's also very useful when bright sunlight makes the LCD difficult to work with. The LCD is great for tripod work, when it presents a big, clear, high rez display for still life and other studied setups, and for off-angle, low-angle shooting when absolute framing accuracy isn't all that important.

The GXR is proving to be a very versatile and effective camera in a very wide variety of circumstances. I'm quite happy working with it.

bcf

EVFs have their own dynamic range constraints but it's important to remember that it is NOT the final image you are looking at, it is a framing and focusing device, and an information display.
I think that's a key point.

Thanks for the quick replies.