The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samsungs 14megapixel aps-c micro camera for 2010

Ben Rubinstein

Fascinating. When we wondered if the big C&N would compete we completely forgot about Pentax (Samsung). People, this means the tiny Pentax pancakes might attach to p&s cameras! WOW!

Only thing is that with an estimated arrival of Sep 2010 I doubt it will ever happen given that 4:3 will have made huge inroads into the market by then.

Martin S

Isn't giving a release date of spring 2010 now a little odd?? That's 1.5 years in advance. Could there have been a typo, or translation error for 2009?? Is this an attempt to deter people purchasing a micro 4/3 system?? Even that seems odd since I suspect that the majority of early purchasers will be present Oly/Pan owners.

What do u think??

Martin

N

nei1

From what Ive seen on the internet(no actual use)the samsung chip used raw,with its weak aa filter gives great results,the 4/3rds system will never be as good.Depends how long you have to wait(is the 4/3 system coming out now?)Buy the 4:3,sell it,buy the pentax.
With digital this is just a neverending story.

Last edited:

jonoslack

the 4/3rds system will never be as good.Depends how long you have to wait(is the 4/3 system coming out now?)Buy the 4:3,sell it,buy the pentax.
With digital this is just a neverending story.
Hi Neil
Why do you say that? the difference in size between 4/3 and aps-c is quite minimal, and there is the definite advantage of the telecentric design for 4/3 cameras. If you said that the 4/3 AA filter is too heavy now I might agree, but for the future?

As for a new Samsung lens mount . . . .

P

PeterLeyssens

People, this means the tiny Pentax pancakes might attach to p&s cameras! WOW!
True. But don't forget you will need a big fat convertor which will turn the pancake into quite a big lens. If the Samsung has a lens registration distance of, say, 2cm, you will need a convertor ring that's over 2,5cm thick because those pancakes are designed for the standard 4,5cm registration distance Pentax cameras.

As with micro 4/3, I'm hoping there'll be a new range of lenses that include pancakes.

Peter.

N

nei1

Hi Jono,Im talking through my hat here as Ive not used either and am only going on various reviews and samples that Ive seen.From those Ive been very impressed by the pentax in raw mode(k20)and less impressed by the olympus.Im going to read up on what "telecentric"is all about now,....so much to learn.I most definatly bow to your superior knowledge Jono and Im going to find out why your right not if your right.All the best,Neil.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,Im talking through my hat here as Ive not used either and am only going on various reviews and samples that Ive seen.From those Ive been very impressed by the pentax in raw mode(k20)and less impressed by the olympus.Im going to read up on what "telecentric"is all about now,....so much to learn.I most definatly bow to your superior knowledge Jono and Im going to find out why your right not if your right.All the best,Neil.
I always talk through my hat too :ROTFL:
I haven't used the Pentax, on the other hand, the idea that one can extrapolate forwards for 2 years on the basis of current sensor tech seems unproductive.

Micro four thirds looks like it may be here soon, and I think I'd just about trust Olympus to put out a better range of lenses than Samsung . . . . of course that could be wrong. I'm also not sure that Olympus aren't going to abandon the telecentricity which has made the current 4/3 lenses such a success. (telecentricity is just about getting the light to hit the sensor at right angles).

Basically we all know nothing!
:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If Pentax makes the lenses for Samsung, they'll probably be great. The lenses of their Limited series are second to none, including certain German brands. Recreating them for the "micro" concept is probably well within reach.

F

focale_32

FYI July 2008 status
The german magazin c't tested some recent DSLRs in its 12/2008 edition.
The table below summarise the results, the center resolution has been measured with the best lens of each make (= macro lens) to avoid the influence of the so-so kit lens.

Resolution = lp/height
DR = dynamic range
SNR = signal/noise ratio

Last edited: