The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic GF1 vs. Sigma DP1x Comparison

ggibson

I did a color comparison between my GF1 and DP1x. To some it may be fairly obvious, but can you guess which is which?

28mm equivalent on both
ISO 100 | F8 | 1/13s on tripod
Standard Color Settings
DP1x exported to JPG first using SPP, GF1 processed with Adobe RAW

GF1 image scaled down and exposure adjusted -0.3 EV in Photoshop to match DP1x as closely as possible for comparison. DP1x was cropped slightly, but this is not a resolution test.

Original size is here:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/6263066764_5fae48d81d_b.jpg

Left: Panasonic GF1
Right: Sigma DP1x

Conclusions/thoughts:

- Judging from the colors is a difficult way to know which is which. One clue is the green/magenta pattern in the dark areas of the table. My camera also has a bit of that Sigma cyan shift in the corners, which is why the GF1's corners are warmer in color.

- The red on the cube seems to be the "red herring" here. The DP1x pulls off a very nice rendering, whereas the GF1 has a bit of blue in it. I remember reading about past Sigma cameras showing reds as a more magenta hue, but clearly they have improved in this regard.

- I would say that the tie & vase's blue colors are better on the sigma, but maybe slightly too purple. The GF1's rendering of the tie has too much cyan and is oversaturated.

- The yellows in the flowers are too orange in the GF1, but not quite orange enough in the DP1x's image. The DP1x's color may suffer here a bit due to the cyan shift in the corner.

- Aside from the color, I don't judge the results of either too harshly. I tried to focus on the bottle in the center, but there may be some slight variation in focus in other areas. The GF1 does capture a bit more fine detail judging by the details in the bottle, but the difference is slight.

- One thing to note is that the GF1 is using the mZD 9-18mm set at 14mm. It's performing quite well against a prime lens, but you can see a slight bit of R/B color separation in the edges. The Sigma image has more contrast as well, but I'm not sure if this is the lens or a difference in processing.

I originally just shot this comparison for my own use, but I thought it would be at least interesting for others to look at. I like the Sigma's rendering more, personally, though my wife seems to like the GF1's better.