The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony a900 ads leaked

Lars

Some leaked Danish ads for the Sony a900 are popping up on the net. 24.6 megapixels, 5fps.

fotografz

If they hit a homerun with the sensor, and Zeiss whips up a few more spectacular AF lenses ... this is a Leica R killer ... and Canon better fix the 1DsMKIII and their W/A optics really fast ... or ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If they hit a homerun with the sensor, and Zeiss whips up a few more spectacular AF lenses ... this is a Leica R killer ... and Canon better fix the 1DsMKIII and their W/A optics really fast ... or ...
With the quality of some of those lenses, they may become very competitive. That 135mm f/1.8 is almost enough to make me postpone a new Nikon body and have a go at it. I need a 135 anyway, particularly if I go full frame.

If the A900 isn't more expensive than the D700, I'll need some headache tablets :LOL:

D

ddk

With the quality of some of those lenses, they may become very competitive. That 135mm f/1.8 is almost enough to make me postpone a new Nikon body and have a go at it. I need a 135 anyway, particularly if I go full frame.

If the A900 isn't more expensive than the D700, I'll need some headache tablets :LOL:
Because of the CZ glass this sounds real interesting to me too but have to wait and see the files, hope they're not the typical Sony sensor ones. By the way Jorgen, what happened to your S5?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Because of the CZ glass this sounds real interesting to me too but have to wait and see the files, hope they're not the typical Sony sensor ones. By the way Jorgen, what happened to your S5?
The S5 is on hold, still waiting in the shop. I'm considering buying a D700 instead, or both, selling the D80. There's too much work to think right now.

I could use the D700 for its low-light capabilities, but it's a lot of money, and I keep thinking of all the lenses I can buy for the $2,000 price difference :rolleyes:

I will probably do a lot of jewelry photography the coming year, mostly silver. The S5 is perfect for dynamic range and colours. The last shoot was done with available light with three different light sources, perfect for the Fuji, S3 in this case, but I had to shoot RAW to be on the safe side... 3 images, and then full stop for 40 seconds :sleep006:

The problem with the Fuji sensor is that it doesn't render enough detail sometimes. So I guess I need both, right?

Last edited:

fotografz

Full Frame, 24 meg for less? Or even just a bit more? Or even a bit more than the D3? Now wouldn't THAT load a few diapers at Canon and Nikon?

I handled the Zeiss 135/1.8 at a show and ... well ... there just isn't anything else in it's class.

I've now sold most all of my R gear ... which was my personal DSLR ... this is a tempting replacement.:toocool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Full Frame, 24 meg for less? Or even just a bit more? Or even a bit more than the D3? Now wouldn't THAT load a few diapers at Canon and Nikon?

I handled the Zeiss 135/1.8 at a show and ... well ... there just isn't anything else in it's class.

I've now sold most all of my R gear ... which was my personal DSLR ... this is a tempting replacement.:toocool:
My guess is that the top Sony bodies will be relatively affordable. The lenses are good, but expensive, and they need to sell gear to a lot of amateurs to obtain a high enough production volume. It will take time before they have a strong enough foothold in the pro market.

As for the 135/1.8, I couldn't agree more. I'm tempted to buy a Sony body just to have something to mount that lens on :p

jonoslack

Definitely a 'wait and see' I'd have thought.

Not least because the rumours all say that Nikon will use this sensor too, and past experience suggests that they'll do a better job with it than Sony.

Although conventional wisdom says that Nikon will launch it in a BIG body first, I'm wondering . . . I would have thought they would see Sony as someone to frighten off quickly, and as such they may feel that a 24mp D800 is a better first step than a D3x or D4.

I would also like to see how the Sony/Zeiss zooms work with full frame - I'd also like this camera a LOT . . . but I'd want to use it for landscapes and nature, and I do want sharp corners - the D3/D700 has taught me how few lenses will actually supply that, and making assumptions about the Sony glass is rash. (I'm sure the Zeiss primes will be fine (although curvature of focal plane may still be an issue), but with that kind of investment I would want a couple of zooms as well).

Exciting times nevertheless!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Although conventional wisdom says that Nikon will launch it in a BIG body first, I'm wondering . . . I would have thought they would see Sony as someone to frighten off quickly, and as such they may feel that a 24mp D800 is a better first step than a D3x or D4.
Maybe you're right, and that's the reason the D3 is not called D3H.

Considering the size of the Zeiss/Sony lenses, the 135mm in particular, I suspect they'll look great on any sensor smaller than the Atlantic Ocean, but I agree: there's no reason to hurry.

fotografz

Definitely a 'wait and see' I'd have thought.

Not least because the rumours all say that Nikon will use this sensor too, and past experience suggests that they'll do a better job with it than Sony.

I would also like to see how the Sony/Zeiss zooms work with full frame - I'd also like this camera a LOT . . . but I'd want to use it for landscapes and nature, and I do want sharp corners - the D3/D700 has taught me how few lenses will actually supply that, and making assumptions about the Sony glass is rash. (I'm sure the Zeiss primes will be fine (although curvature of focal plane may still be an issue), but with that kind of investment I would want a couple of zooms as well).

Exciting times nevertheless!
According to Irakly who once shot with a Minolta, some of the pro level glass was quite excellent.

I'm not interested in corner sharpness with my work ... I have other solutions for that. I am focussed on Bokeh and color rendition for candid people work. I'd buy this camera just for the Zeiss 85/1.4 and 135/1.8 ... but no rush, the Leica M8 cured me of that.

jonoslack

HI Marc
According to Irakly who once shot with a Minolta, some of the pro level glass was quite excellent.
I used to shoot Minolta as well - and I agree, there was some excellent glass.

I'm not interested in corner sharpness with my work ... I have other solutions for that. I am focussed on Bokeh and color rendition for candid people work. I'd buy this camera just for the Zeiss 85/1.4 and 135/1.8 ... but no rush, the Leica M8 cured me of that.
Certainly, a rush for full frame can cause grief (witness Kodak). I actually have high hopes for this, and if the glass really does sing, it may easily be the right answer for me. But like you, this time I'm going to wait and see, not so much because I've been burned (and it's fun being a pioneer), but even if the camera is cheapish, the cost of entry is pretty high!

Ben Rubinstein

I don't think there has ever been a photokina offering so many different crossroads for the kind of people like us. Most either coming from canon or having been there, most not holding their breaths for canon, lots of looking at nikon but with this Sony and those lenses to consider as well.

I have a few niggles that I have to work out re a possible switchover to nikon but I'm waiting till after photokina to make a decision. The time is right as I have a quiet winter (relatively) though the finances are awful right now!

fotografz

I don't think there has ever been a photokina offering so many different crossroads for the kind of people like us. Most either coming from canon or having been there, most not holding their breaths for canon, lots of looking at nikon but with this Sony and those lenses to consider as well.

I have a few niggles that I have to work out re a possible switchover to nikon but I'm waiting till after photokina to make a decision. The time is right as I have a quiet winter (relatively) though the finances are awful right now!
Ben, PM me with any questions ... having just made the switch myself I may be able to shed light on Pro and Cons.