The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR-M ... Luigi half case

Godfrey

Good news for those who appreciate such things:

I inquired about plans for a Ricoh GXR-M half case and received a response from Luigi's assistant that they have obtained a GXR-M and are working on the prototype. She said to make contact in January and they'll have a product delivery timetable and pricing set up.

Ricoh makes an ok case, Japan Exposures has a half case too, but I suspect that Luigi's will be better than either.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Good news. Would this case fit with a regular A12 50 or 28?
I love his straps ect. I asked some time ago abut a strap because his are made for lug cameras and the GXR isn't a lug. It's better but different.
I don't think the strap will happen but the case would be welcomed.
Chocolate brown for me please and make it 2.
Don

Godfrey

Good news. Would this case fit with a regular A12 50 or 28?
I love his straps ect. I asked some time ago abut a strap because his are made for lug cameras and the GXR isn't a lug. It's better but different.
I don't think the strap will happen but the case would be welcomed.
Chocolate brown for me please and make it 2.
Don
I don't know ... the A12 Camera Mount is a few mm thicker and wider than the other A12 camera units, so it depends on how precise a fit is designed for them.

The Ricoh ST-3 strap is just fine by me: soft leather with a liner on the inside. Far better than what came in the box with the body and modest in price ($40).

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I have the ST3 and it is a very nice strap. I just have a thing for Luigi's braided straps.....
I'll have to send a note and ask about the case for us regular peoples....

Godfrey

I have the ST3 and it is a very nice strap. I just have a thing for Luigi's braided straps.....
I'll have to send a note and ask about the case for us regular peoples....
I sent a note also as it wasn't specific which camera unit they were working with. A case designed for the AF A12 camera units might prove a bit too snug for the A12 Camera Mount.

I also mentioned that an option to have the strap affixed to the half case rather than to the camera itself might prove very handy ... that way you can remove case and strap in one action for use on copy stand or tripod without having to constantly unthread then re-thread the strap. It would be very convenient! That's the way I used to use the bottom half of my Nikon F's never-ready case years ago, it was a delight.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I also mentioned that an option to have the strap affixed to the half case rather than to the camera itself might prove very handy ... that way you can remove case and strap in one action for use on copy stand or tripod without having to constantly unthread then re-thread the strap. It would be very convenient! That's the way I used to use the bottom half of my Nikon F's never-ready case years ago, it was a delight.
Critical point...I did the same with a M6 half case...it had the option to mount the case to a tripod as the screw in to the bottom of the camera had a female 1/4 20 on the bottom of the case.

Hope he follows through with an option to modify the strap mounting.

Bob

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
So if the strap is fixed to the case, can we open the battery door without removing said suspect? I may be a serious streetshooter but word is I'm uh..sometimes clumsily.

I made the mistake many years ago of using Luigi's straps on my M6 & M7.
I can't get the feel from anything else.
The ST3 is fine but it's thicker than Luigi's thin strap.

It's on you Godfrey as our lead on the design team.

Godfrey

So if the strap is fixed to the case, can we open the battery door without removing said suspect? I may be a serious streetshooter but word is I'm uh..sometimes clumsily.

I made the mistake many years ago of using Luigi's straps on my M6 & M7.
I can't get the feel from anything else.
The ST3 is fine but it's thicker than Luigi's thin strap.

It's on you Godfrey as our lead on the design team.
I don't know how you'd arrange the case such that you could open the door without removing it, and even if you could, if you use a screw to fix the case to the camera, you're going to have to remove the screw to open the battery door. So if the strap is affixed to the case, when you drop the case to change a battery or card, the strap goes with it.

One solution is to simply keep a large capacity card in the camera (I use a 16G card which can hold up to 800 raw exposures or so). A fully charged battery nets me 350-450 exposures. When it's time to change battery or card, I look for a solid work surface to prevent dropping the camera. ;-)

I prefer the thicker straps. Even though the GXR is a small, light body, put a 28/2 or 40/1.4 or 50/2 lens on it and a thin strap tends to cut into my neck. Personal preference ...

... Ginevra did get back to me a second time to tell me that she's forwarded my note on the size difference and the strap to her father.

Godfrey

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Luigi's stuff is infused with quality. All of it is actually to fine for me.
So, ideally...a detachable strap could be designed that would fit both the case and the camera. On case removal procedure, if the strap assembly is attached to the case, the camera is left in a vulnerable situation. If the strap was able to fit both camera and case, well the idea is there.

DReilly

I just got an email from Luigi that the GXR case is almost ready to be put up on the website. Not sure where on the website, but that sounds like good news.

A

atran

Hi guys,
Any updates on the Luigi case for the Ricoh GXR-M? I searched for leather case for the Ricoh and Google brought me here :p

An

Godfrey

Hi I saw that one too but I also want to wait to see Luigi halfcase first before making the decision. Luigi case will be much more expensive I guess.
I've just sent Luigi and Ginevra a note asking what the status on their half-case for the GXR is.

I'm sure it will be more money than $54, but I'm also sure it will be higher quality. The case they made for my M9 is just terrific. :)

Godfrey

A

atran

I've just sent Luigi and Ginevra a note asking what the status on their half-case for the GXR is.

I'm sure it will be more money than $54, but I'm also sure it will be higher quality. The case they made for my M9 is just terrific. :)

Godfrey
Hi Godfrey,

Thank you please keep us posted on the price, delivery schedule and most importantly the picture of the case :D

An

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The reason I decided not to wait for Luigi for my GXR is that I recently sent him an e-mail asking for a quote for a case for my Contax G1, and got no reply.
I received my Gariz case for my Nex 7 and it is stunning. I think it won't be long before they offer one for the GXR M

Keith