The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panny G1 - the first m4/3 has arrived

Ben Rubinstein

I think Neil means through the viewfinder even, not just the review on the screen, it would be an incredible way to previsualise shooting B&W film, say 4X5.

Lili

I have been folowing all the discussion on this camera with interest.
It really does seem to offer as lot of promise.
For me the salient points are
1-Superb EVF, 100% coverage
2-MUCH quieter than DSLR, no mirror flip, low vibration too.
3-A form factor approaching thos of old film SLR's like the Oly Om-1
4-effortless switching from LCD to EVF
5-Pivoting LCD, feature not to be underestimated

All in all it will at the least be an interesting ride ;)

I have been folowing all the discussion on this camera with interest.
It really does seem to offer as lot of promise.
For me the salient points are
1-Superb EVF, 100% coverage
2-MUCH quieter than DSLR, no mirror flip, low vibration too.
3-A form factor approaching thos of old film SLR's like the Oly Om-1
4-effortless switching from LCD to EVF
5-Pivoting LCD, feature not to be underestimated

All in all it will at the least be an interesting ride ;)
Indeed. I´m VERY interested....

My D200 with 17-55/2.8 is far too heavy.
My D-lux 3 is too small, fiddly, and noisy.
My Digilux 2 is my present favourite, but the EVF is next to useless.
I´ve been missing a swiveling LCD since my Canon G3 was retired...

It looks like this is the answer to all these points; only a 2-2.8 Vario-Summicron missing...

Can´t wait to handle it in the flesh!

BTW, happy and relieved to hear from Lili again after the hurricane...:clap:
Seems you got through it unscathed!

N

nei1

Ben,yes thats is what I mean,sorry not to have explained it a little better.I mean through the viewfinder and not as a review but as your taking the picture.It obviously wouldnt be recorded as such but I think it might be interesting to see as your more or less going to print.The evf finder is the first time this is a possibility,it would be a nice option to have .

Lili

Indeed. I´m VERY interested....

My D200 with 17-55/2.8 is far too heavy.
My D-lux 3 is too small, fiddly, and noisy.
My Digilux 2 is my present favourite, but the EVF is next to useless.
I´ve been missing a swiveling LCD since my Canon G3 was retired...

It looks like this is the answer to all these points; only a 2-2.8 Vario-Summicron missing...

Can´t wait to handle it in the flesh!

BTW, happy and relieved to hear from Lili again after the hurricane...:clap:
Seems you got through it unscathed!
Thanks for the welcome back :)
It passed far enough East that we only got a cool, rainy breeze.
Evacuees are still in our area now, they cannot go back yet :(

Back on topic, this camera with a fast little zoom would simply rock.
Right now I do most of my work on my GRD, tho the Fuji bridge camera has really been getting a workout lately, if only the S6000 had a better EVF
So the G-1 is of great interest to me :)

N

nei1

Hi Terry,I just presumed the evf would be in color but it would be a giant leap in technology to make one I suppose,do you think it will sell to the masses with a fixed b&w finder? best regards Neil.

Last edited:

Terry

Hi Terry,I just presumed the evf would be in color but it would be a giant leap in technology to make one I suppose,do you think it will sell to the masses with a fixed b&w finder? best regards Neil.
I don't think you will see a fixed B&W.

V

Vivek

Stick a piece of Wratten 90 filter on the EVF/VF if you want B&W visualization. That is what many used in the old days. :)

V

Vivek

Now, why didn't I think of that?! :banghead:

(That is a comedy unfolding there, Jorgen- where you are living now! :))

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now, why didn't I think of that?! :banghead:

(That is a comedy unfolding there, Jorgen- where you are living now! :))
Comedy? Where :confused: Exactly what are you indicating here? This is a democracy, you know :lecture:

You mean the fact that the country is now run from England by a former football club owner through his brother in law after the TV-chef had to give up his part-time job as a prime minister? Aren't all countries managed that way?

Joan

Ben,yes thats is what I mean,sorry not to have explained it a little better.I mean through the viewfinder and not as a review but as your taking the picture.It obviously wouldnt be recorded as such but I think it might be interesting to see as your more or less going to print.The evf finder is the first time this is a possibility,it would be a nice option to have .
Actually, this is how my current Panny FZ28's EVF works (and other Panasonics before it all the way back to the LC1/Digilux 2.) Whatever "film mode," ie. B&W, you choose for jpegs is what you'll see in the EVF. As Terry mentioned above, you can shoot raw+jpeg to get the best of both worlds. I see no reason to believe the G1's EVF will be any different.

N

nei1

Well we will see in a month or so. My hunch is that it will be in B&W.
I don't think you will see a fixed B&W.

Terry ,Im a little confused

Terry

what I was trying to say is what Joan said. The EVF is in color. However, if you shoot RAW + Jpeg, you can make selections on you JPEG processing that will carry over to both the LCD and EVF. So, if you chose B&W the screens will show a B&W image. Save to the card will be a B&W JPEG and a regular RAW with all of the color data.

If you only shoot RAW - screen and EVF will be in color. If you only shoot JPEG and you set camera for B&W you will get one file with B&W and LCD + EVF are B&W.

There is no way that I know of to shoot only RAW and keep the EVF B&W. The M8 also works exactly this way.

V

Vivek

Does anyone know what this "new generation of 4/3rds sensor" that the G1 is supposed to have? I am not in on the sources/threads/sites.

Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Does anyone know what this "new generation of 4/3rds sensor" that the G1 is supposed to have? I am not in on the sources/threads/sites.

Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.
I haven't found anything specific but from what I have read it is supposed to address better DR and better high ISO.

N

nei1

:):)Thanks Terry & Joan,so if the evf was left independent of the camera settings it could ,if allowed by the camera,be set as desired.There are presumably auto settings for low light etc,if these had a manual overide (not too difficult I wouldnt have thought)then it would work as a pre-visualisation tool which would be very useful and a plus over an optical finder.Depends on the quality of the evf image I supose.If after tuning the image in the evf(e.g.high key or low key)the settings to achieve that result could then be transferred to the camera at the touch of a button then this I think would be another plus for the evf.
All the best Neil.
p.s.Im only talking about the evf view finder,the one you look through,not the screen on the back of the camera.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Terry, Thanks for all the information (everything, including the whole thread)!:)